slow table speed gc3

mickb94

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently put in a 9' gold crown III, complete with brand new blue simonis860 felt. it feels very sloooooow.

could it be from:
-fabric not stretched tightly?
-is new simonis slow until it gets more play?
-any other possible reasons?...

thanks

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

The gold crownIII had issues with the cushions going hard, check your cushions for dry rot.

Rob.M

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently put in a 9' gold crown III, complete with brand new blue simonis860 felt. it feels very sloooooow.

could it be from:

thanks

I am not a pool table expert but I am a pretty experienced troubleshooter and maybe the answers to these can help :)

Questions:

1. when you say slow do you mean coming off the cushions? or in general?
2. If you roll a ball into the cushion does it come off at approximately the same speed or slower?
3. Is there any 'hop' to the cueball when going into a cushion with speed?
4. Do the cushions provide the same bounce regardless which rail you go into?
5. Are there any rail bolts missing?

mickb94

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
slow in general...
it does come off at approximately the same speed or slower
no hop to the cue ball
all rails bounce about the same
no bolts missing.

it just really feels like I am rolling the ball on sand as far as speed. it rolls slow even without hitting a rail.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did see a post where someone mentioned one side of simonis being 'fuzzy'. I havent worked with it myself to confirm that there is one fuzzy side but if there is and it is on upside down that could be a problem.

runninracks

StrokeAholic
Here is a pic of a piece of Simonis 860 that I have left over from my table install. I folded it to show both sides in the picture. The side that says Simonis is the ball contact side. There is a pretty big difference.

Attachments

• simonisfolded.jpg
    simonisfolded.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 483

realkingcobra

Silver Member

could it be from:

thanks

Ok, are you saying it's slow because the other tables in your area you play on seem to play faster, because that's more likely the case.

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gold crownIII had issues with the cushions going hard, check your cushions for dry rot.

Rob.M

Is there any way to do this without removing some staples and looking under the rail cloth? I can't envision a way.

But I also can't fathom restapling once the excess is trimmed off. Maybe wth canvas pliers, but not by hand. There's nothing to grab. ("that's what she said...")

No seriously is there a convenient way to restaple? Or make an assessment without having to break off fingernails?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Is there any way to do this without removing some staples and looking under the rail cloth? I can't envision a way.

But I also can't fathom restapling once the excess is trimmed off. Maybe wth canvas pliers, but not by hand. There's nothing to grab. ("that's what she said...")

No seriously is there a convenient way to restaple? Or make an assessment without having to break off fingernails?

I highly doubt the cushion's are the original cushion from 30 years ago, they would have got rock hard a long time ago and have been replaced long before now. With out more feedback for the OP, all this is, is a guessing game.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I highly doubt the cushion's are the original cushion from 30 years ago, they would have got rock hard a long time ago and have been replaced long before now. With out more feedback for the OP, all this is, is a guessing game.

Hey Glen, when my cushions on my GCII were replaced by Josh he gave me back my old Monarch Super Speeds, they seem to be in real nice condition, Josh said the same thing. They seemed to play well too but I couldn't have the rails modified and pockets tightened using the old cushions. That kinda surprised me.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hey Glen, when my cushions on my GCII were replaced by Josh he gave me back my old Monarch Super Speeds, they seem to be in real nice condition, Josh said the same thing. They seemed to play well too but I couldn't have the rails modified and pockets tightened using the old cushions. That kinda surprised me.

That's because when you're extended the rails to tighten the pockets, that required longer cushions to be installed, and your factory cushions were to short to be used, can't stretch them to fit, if that was done, they become tight and lose bounce.

mickb94

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
where to start...

yes, slow in comparison to other exact tables that I am used to playing on. rails are newly clothed as well. the cloth is correct as far as which side is up versus against the slate. it just feels super slow. like I am shooting every single shot uphill. its all good. I think when I have it refelted in a couple years, I will get someone else to do the work. when I slide my hand across the felt, it ripples up more than I have ever noticed. I don't recall any glue or adhesive being used when it was installed. I just didn't know if that could cause anything.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Loose cloth can slow down the speed of the playing field for sure, but as a suggestion, if you have two cue shafts, place them together to make a ramp, lay them on your table, then take the cue ball and let it roll down the shafts. Measure out how far it rolls on your table, then do the same thing on the other tables you play on. Than you'll be able to do some comparison of tables.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loose cloth can slow down the speed of the playing field for sure, but as a suggestion, if you have two cue shafts, place them together to make a ramp, lay them on your table, then take the cue ball and let it roll down the shafts. Measure out how far it rolls on your table, then do the same thing on the other tables you play on. Than you'll be able to do some comparison of tables.

Thanks for that tip. I'm going to do that on the tables I play on

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
That's because when you're extended the rails to tighten the pockets, that required longer cushions to be installed, and your factory cushions were to short to be used, can't stretch them to fit, if that was done, they become tight and lose bounce.

I guess I was not very clear. The thing that surprised me is how nice of condition the cushions were in for the table being 40+ years old.

mickb94

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THATS ACTUALLY SO SIMPLE ITS BRILLIANT!!!...
thanks to everyone for their input.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any update on roll distance for yours compared to the other tables?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

mickb94

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it was relatively the same...but what I have just found is that the original aramith cue ball doesn't roll as sluggish as the after market measle ball. (which I know is not an aramith ball, but rather a cheap knock off) so maybe the porosity of the ball?...or weight?...