Smartphones and Privacy - Yes, this is pool-related

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could interrupt all the complaining about the state of pool, aiming systems, why people are leaving the forum, etc. for a few minutes, I'm temporarily straying from the Funny Pic/GIF thread to bring a little attention to the Action Hound smartphone app.

On one hand, this app does what it is advertised to do, and does it very well.

BUT......the GPS is a little too precise in my opinion.

Obviously, an app that geolocates players will broadcast location, but I believe the developers have a duty to protect the privacy of their userbase.

I was looking around my area and found someone whose pin marker appeared to be in a neighborhood near me. I recognized the person's name from Open Billiards Market on FB, so I got the address from Google Maps and searched it along with his (fairly uncommon) last name. Google produced multiple sites containing property records with the property owner listed and lo and behold, the name matched. Now I know where this guy lives. The record I found even had a blueprint of his house.

If someone were motivated in the wrong way, they could easily case a burglary using this app and go after someone's cue collection, or commit some other dastardly deed.

Very interesting concept, but I'm uninstalling for now until the GPS is less precise.

Just trying to give everyone a heads-up. Stay safe out there.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could interrupt all the complaining about the state of pool, aiming systems, why people are leaving the forum, etc. for a few minutes, I'm temporarily straying from the Funny Pic/GIF thread to bring a little attention to the Action Hound smartphone app.

On one hand, this app does what it is advertised to do, and does it very well.

BUT......the GPS is a little too precise in my opinion.

Obviously, an app that geolocates players will broadcast location, but I believe the developers have a duty to protect the privacy of their userbase.

I was looking around my area and found someone whose pin marker appeared to be in a neighborhood near me. I recognized the person's name from Open Billiards Market on FB, so I got the address from Google Maps and searched it along with his (fairly uncommon) last name. Google produced multiple sites containing property records with the property owner listed and lo and behold, the name matched. Now I know where this guy lives. The record I found even had a blueprint of his house.

If someone were motivated in the wrong way, they could easily case a burglary using this app and go after someone's cue collection, or commit some other dastardly deed.

Very interesting concept, but I'm uninstalling for now until the GPS is less precise.

Just trying to give everyone a heads-up. Stay safe out there.

Almost EVERY app that you have has a "back door" to something. Read the FINE PRINT!

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost EVERY app that you have has a "back door" to something. Read the FINE PRINT!

Obviously I grant permissions to use my GPS for geolocating. My issue is with the fineness of the data it is outputting. Other geolocating applications don't display the pinpoint precision that your device is capable of. They do this to protect their users.

Not sure what you're getting at.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Smartphones were not invented for the consumer in mind. They were invented so you could be tracked and watched all of time. I have a guy that I play pool with that used to work for Motorola back in the day. He will not own a smartphone because of the info he has about them. After sitting and talking with him I don't think I want one anymore either. He still uses a phone from the mid 90's......the dinosaur. It stays on his hip and looks like a sidearm.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I think it's stupid to use any app whose purpose is to enable people to find me, but you can find a lot of that information just knowing the person's name.

Wasn't there some app (Four Square?) that let people "check in" to businesses? Why don't pool players use that?

For that matter, why the hell does this Action Hound need GPS? People should just be able to post that they're "available for action" for a specific city or area or poolroom. You don't need to know *exactly* where the dude is, do you?

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Obviously I grant permissions to use my GPS for geolocating. My issue is with the fineness of the data it is outputting. Other geolocating applications don't display the pinpoint precision that your device is capable of. They do this to protect their users.

Not sure what you're getting at.

I'm not so sure you are correct in this. The newer apps are very precise. The find your friend app is scary.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smartphones were not invented for the consumer in mind. They were invented so you could be tracked and watched all of time. I have a guy that I play pool with that used to work for Motorola back in the day. He will not own a smartphone because of the info he has about them. After sitting and talking with him I don't think I want one anymore either. He still uses a phone from the mid 90's......the dinosaur. It stays on his hip and looks like a sidearm.

Your friend has the right mindset. Technology is both a blessing and a curse.

I think it's stupid to use any app whose purpose is to enable people to find me, but you can find a lot of that information just knowing the person's name.

Wasn't there some app (Four Square?) that let people "check in" to businesses? Why don't pool players use that?

For that matter, why the hell does this Action Hound need GPS? People should just be able to post that they're "available for action" for a specific city or area or poolroom. You don't need to know *exactly* where the dude is, do you?

Completely agree. That opens it up to all kinds of possibilities for shenanigans.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every try to locate your Android phone when you are holding it? It tells you that it's in your hand :)

There is no more privacy really unless you go out of your way. A quick internet search will come up with almost everyone's phone and address, before you had to hunt down an area phone book.

It's a bit like what happened to hand made vs machine made items. At first, machine made items were pricy because they were new and interesting, then as they got more and more efficient, getting something made the old fashioned way with real wood, hand carving, natural foods without chemicals is now the high end way of doing things.

By default, you are exposed now, you need to take extra measures to hide.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every try to locate your Android phone when you are holding it? It tells you that it's in your hand :)

There is no more privacy really unless you go out of your way. A quick internet search will come up with almost everyone's phone and address, before you had to hunt down an area phone book.

It's a bit like what happened to hand made vs machine made items. At first, machine made items were pricy because they were new and interesting, then as they got more and more efficient, getting something made the old fashioned way with real wood, hand carving, natural foods without chemicals is now the high end way of doing things.

By default, you are exposed now, you need to take extra measures to hide.

That's true. I had to jump through a lot of differently-shaped hoops to remove myself from the info-aggregating sites like Intelius and similar. It was a serious PITA.

I was just shocked at how easily I could find this guy's exact home address. Even if his name was John Smith it would have been very, very easy.

It is equally easy to see where they are during the day as well. For example, another guy near me either works at a Motel 6, or is currently getting his freak on.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, we signed our privacy away a long time ago with nearly every app we install on our smartphones. Just owning the smartphone is enough actually.

Our identities get put on lists and sold to companies doing marketing studies and all kinds of other things. Why do you think alot of apps are free? We're paying for the apps with our privacy.

It's so far out of control, I'm not sure how to reel it back in. You basically need to not have facebook, no smartphone, don't create user accounts for alot of places, don't install apps. It's terrible.

The time of actually having privacy is over. Progress is great, but we're paying the price for it.