Smoking and Pool Halls

The-Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, to be clear, I'm not knocking anyone for smoking etc....

But.... I do think that the fact that most (many at least) pool halls allow smoking could be a big reason that lots of people don't pick up the activity. I love to play pool, but have a really hard time going somewhere that makes my clothes smell like smoke just because I'm there for a few hours (not to mention the negative health implications).

Given the choice to play golf (outside in the fresh air) or play pool (in an environment that is given to smoke), no wonder so many pick up the alternate activity.

It is possible that this one defining characteristic excludes a large number of individuals from an activity that would otherwise be enjoyable to them etc....

I also don't think that individuals would actually stop going to pool halls just because they couldn't smoke inside. Especially if these establishments provided a nice outside area for smokers.

I think this option would clearly be a win/win!

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree. The best pool hall here is a smoking establishment. There are others close by that non-smoking. I'm not a smoker. If I go to the smoking establishment, I can't plan to go anywhere afterwards because i smell like a chimney. Shouldn't be a big deal to walk outside and smoke a cig.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
California pool parlors and bars have been smoke free for quite awhile now......thank God too.
You can finally breathe, not stink up your clothes, and the parlors even look and stay cleaner.

Matt B.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smoke in pool halls is the reason I got lasik years ago. My contacts would dry out with the smoke and I couldn't see. And of course later I'd stink of smoke.

Fortunately, Ontario banned smoking in restaurants, bars and pool halls a decade ago. It's been great for me as a player. Pool halls seem to have survived. Cloth is no doubt cleaner too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a proper Tour or League pool will be the surrogate child of bars and smokey places. I dont think economics will allow for a pure billiards hall either.

RED LITE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
California pool parlors and bars have been smoke free for quite awhile now......thank God too.

Matt B.

I agree. And I remember when the law changed. I walked into a familiar room, and I could suddenly see across the room.... for the first time.

RL

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand yall's points but I'm not gonna lie - I just LOVE walking in a smokey ol pool room with it so thick yards can't see the counter. As to the OP, there are plenty of people that go to smokey bars that don't smoke and its not even pool related. They chose to go or not go, same thing in this case right?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pool halls started dying around the time that smoking became something people didnt want to be around.
the ones that survived were places where smoking was ingrained and people dont care. yet many still think it is smoking that keeps their business alive.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old owner of Fieldston Billiards in the Bronx (my old home room, and the largest pool hall in the USA at one time) said that the smoking ban contributed a great deal to killing his business.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smoke from a campfire contains 40 times the amount of carcinogens as first hand tobacco smoke.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm one of those idiots that still smokes. There is near room near me that still allows smoking. It is pretty far away so I don't go there much. I am so used to going outside to smoke that I have trouble feeling comfortable smoking indoors. It just doesn't seem right.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could move to Colorado. We don't allow smoking in any establishment unless tobacco is at least 45% of your revenue.

All the Pool halls here are smoke free except one.

:D:D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing when I get home, I change out of my clothes, and put them in the garage to air out. The hall where I go, it gets so bad, that it takes around 3 days for it just to get out of your clothes. Smoking wouldn't be such a big deal if the places that allowed smoking had decent ventilation, but most don't. I would go somewhere else, but the nearest decent place to play is over an hours drive.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm one of those idiots that still smokes. There is near room near me that still allows smoking. It is pretty far away so I don't go there much. I am so used to going outside to smoke that I have trouble feeling comfortable smoking indoors. It just doesn't seem right.

This is what has happened here in Maine. It's been this way for so long now that people certainly have adapted.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot smoke by the table in any room here in the Netherlands, but most of the bigger pool halls have a smoking room. Perfect scenario as far as I am concerned. It beats having to walk away outside, especially in the winter! The smoking room at my home pool hall even has large windows right by the table I usually play on, so can even keep an eye on my cues, or watch friends play while I smoke. Of course here in Amsterdam it's not just cigarettes getting smoked in there, so it can sometimes smell quite "herbal" up by table 6 :D

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hands down the best solution i've seen for this problem is at a pool room in jacksonville, fl called q-ball. the room itself is non-smoking, however they have a glass room in the center of the room adjacent to the bar area where you can go to smoke. it's closed in completely so the smoke stays inside and doesn't bother anyone else in the room. however, the glass room allows you to still watch a match that's going on if you want, or see if it's your turn at the table if you have to step away while your opponent is shooting. great room with great equipment to boot. i always thought this was a great solution to the debate and wish more places would adopt it as opposed to just allowing smoking inside. it also takes into consideration that not everyone that smokes wants to have to stand outside in 100+ degree weather down south to smoke...nor should they necessarily have to.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do they handle ventilation in the smoking room? Does any smoke escape into the non-smoking area? Not a bad idea actually if it's got the proper ventilation.

hands down the best solution i've seen for this problem is at a pool room in jacksonville, fl called q-ball. the room itself is non-smoking, however they have a glass room in the center of the room adjacent to the bar area where you can go to smoke. it's closed in completely so the smoke stays inside and doesn't bother anyone else in the room. however, the glass room allows you to still watch a match that's going on if you want, or see if it's your turn at the table if you have to step away while your opponent is shooting. great room with great equipment to boot. i always thought this was a great solution to the debate and wish more places would adopt it as opposed to just allowing smoking inside. it also takes into consideration that not everyone that smokes wants to have to stand outside in 100+ degree weather down south to smoke...nor should they necessarily have to.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
even the best potentiated ones make your clothes smell and that means you are still breathing in the smoke. some dont care and those that smoke think thats fine.

but the majority of the people and that is a big part of revenue dont go to places where they stink when they go home.