Sniper tip, black layer question

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I have the Cuetec carbon fiber shaft and it has a Sniper tip on it..The tip has a black layer half way down tip..
Does the tip need to be replaced when it reaches that black line or can that layer be used?? If not, that doesn't leave much tip
with a short use time...I've asked several people and no one seems to know the answer....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Cuetec carbon fiber shaft and it has a Sniper tip on it..The tip has a black layer half way down tip..
Does the tip need to be replaced when it reaches that black line or can that layer be used?? If not, that doesn't leave much tip
with a short use time...I've asked several people and no one seems to know the answer....
Its further down than halfway on all the snipes i've seen. it is a replace time reminder. should only be one layer left past the black reminder. i'd change it if it was me when i got it that short.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2/3 the way down.
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.14.48 AM.png

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't always do it....sometimes I like to ease a tip into my preferred condition.
most times i trim mine down right off the bat . The top edge of the black layer would be the base of my tips crown (where my shape would start) That's after smacking it with a hammer a few times.

I still prefer single layer but I don't like the all the maintenance at first.

It's a trade off....I guess. Nothing worse than a expensive layered tip that keeps glossing over. Or just never felt right in the first place.

Lepros triangles WB atleast It's no big deal to cut off and try another one after a day at 1$ a piece.
Learn to re- tip by hand no lathe a razor blade and a file...when u get the perfect single layer TIP you'll be pissed when it's time to cut it off and retip.(even tho it only cost you a dollar and some change for the tip the glue and the fresh razor blade

Last edited:

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
New its 2/3 down but remember it has to be shaped after its installed....After it is shaped its half way...I took a picture to show it but it says picture too large...
Believe me after pro shop put it on and shaped it it's half way... I appreciate the quick answers....

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New its 2/3 down but remember it has to be shaped after its installed....After it is shaped its half way...I took a picture to show it but it says picture too large...
Believe me after pro shop put it on and shaped it it's half way... I appreciate the quick answers....
Perhaps the installer shaved too much off when they shaped it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When did they add that black layer? I don’t like it. Sniper was my favorite tip and I’ve bought dozens of them. But my last purchase was over 10 years ago.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I split a box with a friend almost 20 years ago, and I still have a few of them. Black only on the bottom. Best tips I've ever found.
Yes, same here. I might still have some. I quit the cue repair side hustle when I moved from Philly to Atl in 2009. Funny, now I need a new tip and my lathe has been in pieces in my closet for 14 years. ha ha.

Last edited: