Snooker Balls On A Pool Table

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Hey, has anyone ever used 2 1/8" Snooker balls on a Pool table? I've thought about buying a set for my home table, but I'm not sure how they would play. Would the height of the rails screw up the way the balls play? I'd appreciate any feedback.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some are labeled 2 1/8 but are actually 2 1/16. i think 2 1/16 is actually more prevalent than the 1/8's. if it is on the rail, it would be a problem, you wouldn't be able to hit it. they do make american snooker balls which are 2 1/4 like pool balls. playing snooker on a pool table isn't at all like real snooker though.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McChen said:
some are labeled 2 1/8 but are actually 2 1/16. i think 2 1/16 is actually more prevalent than the 1/8's. if it is on the rail, it would be a problem, you wouldn't be able to hit it. they do make american snooker balls which are 2 1/4 like pool balls. playing snooker on a pool table isn't at all like real snooker though.

2 1/8 is the size of American Snooker played on the 5 x 10
American style tables<tighter pockets, rounder pocket shoulders,
Triangular pool-table style cushions>
there used to be many 6 x 12 tables of this type, all the ones
I've ever seen had been basterdized for the odious "Golf" game

2 1/16 is the size for English tables - the international game

American Snooker is very rare in the USA theese days

Dale<who misses Snooker>

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
I think you'd be okay. The rails on my snooker table are just a tad higher than the ones on my pool table and both 2 1/8" and 2 1/4" balls play fine on the snooker table. I've never been tempted to try the snooker balls on the pool table, but could check it for you tonight if you like.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. There are several 5x10 Snooker tables in town, and I do play on them when I get a chance. But I love the game, and I'd like to have the option of also playing on my home table. And if I do play at home, I would like to use the regulation Snooker balls for a little added challenge. I may just buy a modestly priced set of balls and see how they work. I've played 9 ball on a Snooker table, and the larger balls seemed to work ok, so it should be worth a shot.

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
Actually, I tried it last night and I wouldn't waste my money if I was you. It was not a rewarding nor particularly enjoyable endeavor. The pockets just take all the joy out of it. The taller rails do shorten up the banks, but that's not a biggie. My plan was to get rid of the pool table in favor of the snooker table as playing pool on the snooker table is quite fun. My only concern was for friends (and grandkids) that came over having to play on the unusually tight & large table would be more frustrating for them. I ended up with both and love having them both. However, I don't think I would ever go the other way. It's up to you, but I'd chuck the pool table and get a snooker table or get the pool table retrofitted to make it play like the snooker table (maybe keep the rails the same height but change the pockets, which would entail different cushions). Just my $.02, YMMV.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
bsmutz said:
Actually, I tried it last night and I wouldn't waste my money if I was you. It was not a rewarding nor particularly enjoyable endeavor. The pockets just take all the joy out of it. The taller rails do shorten up the banks, but that's not a biggie. My plan was to get rid of the pool table in favor of the snooker table as playing pool on the snooker table is quite fun. My only concern was for friends (and grandkids) that came over having to play on the unusually tight & large table would be more frustrating for them. I ended up with both and love having them both. However, I don't think I would ever go the other way. It's up to you, but I'd chuck the pool table and get a snooker table or get the pool table retrofitted to make it play like the snooker table (maybe keep the rails the same height but change the pockets, which would entail different cushions). Just my $.02, YMMV.
Thanks for the info.