Snookerpool

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the snooker tables I play on have pink 6 balls and some of them have orange 6 balls. I always thought that is weird.
I'd bet the balls are different diameters as well, British snooker uses 2 1/16" balls and Pink 6 ball, whereas American snooker uses 2 1/8" balls and orange 6 balls.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd bet the balls are different diameters as well, British snooker uses 2 1/16" balls and Pink 6 ball, whereas American snooker uses 2 1/8" balls and orange 6 balls.
They are 2 1/8. They have numbers on them as well but even the pink 2 1/8 is numbered 6 on these American snooker sets. I’d like to get a regulation 2 1/16 set and try on my 10 foot snooker table. It has tighter pockets than any other snooker table I’ve ever played on.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the snooker tables I play on have pink 6 balls and some of them have orange 6 balls. I always thought that is weird.
I’ve never seen an orange 6, I wonder if it’s s old pink that changed color a bit. Some old balls are off color a bit.

gerryf

They are 2 1/8. They have numbers on them as well but even the pink 2 1/8 is numbered 6 on these American snooker sets. I’d like to get a regulation 2 1/16 set and try on my 10 foot snooker table. It has tighter pockets than any other snooker table I’ve ever played on.
I just bought a set of 2 1/4" snooker balls for playing on a pool table. The local group wants to give it a try.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never seen an orange 6, I wonder if it’s s old pink that changed color a bit. Some old balls are off color a bit.
1665685173050.png

Nope

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
They are orange for sure, I wonder why????😃
I wonder why there are numbers on the "colors" ???

Dave <-- has 2 1/4" snooker balls for his 9' pool table, with not a number in sight as it should be

PS I play snooker with only 10 reds ... 15 reds plus 6 colors is craziness on a 9' table

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are orange for sure, I wonder why????😃
I don’t know. I’m so used to both colors I couldn’t even tell you which pool halls I play at have either color. I can’t even tell you what color my 6 is at my house!

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because the numbers are the value awarded for pocketing them, the amount of penalty awarded for commiting fouls with them, as well as the sequential order for shooting them after the reds are all removed.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave <-- has 2 1/4" snooker balls for his 9' pool table, with not a number in sight as it should be

PS I play snooker with only 10 reds ... 15 reds plus 6 colors is craziness on a 9' table
My usual place to play has 3 nine ft snooker tables. We play with 14 reds. The pink(or orange) is in the middle of the rack. Open break only. Must call all shots after break. No combo shots. All rails and kicks must be called. Fouls result in losing all points on that run, as well as losing 4 points. It took me awhile to get used to the rules but having to call each rail and kick has made me a much better pool shooter.

DaveK

Silver Member
Because the numbers are the value awarded for pocketing them, the amount of penalty awarded for commiting fouls with them, as well as the sequential order for shooting them after the reds are all removed.
lol ... I've known the value of the colors for decades, never needed (or seen until today) numbers on the balls.

Dave <-- first played snooker in the late 1970s ... in Canada ... where virtually all halls at the time had snooker and only snooker tables.

PS In snooker the penalty points awarded for yellow & green fouls is 4 points, not 2 & 3.

DaveK

Silver Member
My usual place to play has 3 nine ft snooker tables. We play with 14 reds. The pink(or orange) is in the middle of the rack. Open break only. Must call all shots after break. No combo shots. All rails and kicks must be called. Fouls result in losing all points on that run, as well as losing 4 points. It took me awhile to get used to the rules but having to call each rail and kick has made me a much better pool shooter.
I have no issues with snooker rules ... but then it's a very common game where I live.

Dave

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol ... I've known the value of the colors for decades, never needed (or seen until today) numbers on the balls.

Dave <-- first played snooker in the late 1970s ... in Canada ... where virtually all halls at the time had snooker and only snooker tables.

PS In snooker the penalty points awarded for yellow & green fouls is 4 points, not 2 & 3.
Eh, well maybe it's just for us stupid merican's I dunno. BTW, where I've always played snooker all fouls are 7 points regardless. It's a flexible game, but at least we do use the ball and a rail rule.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sign me up!!

I’m ready to come play, that’s a fun game. My favorite game to play has always been snooker. Then 1P or banks.

That’s a great game, we used to play lots of 6 cherry’s or 3 cherry’s on the 10’ box as well. 6 was my favorite. 10 is cool too, on a 9’ box 10 is a great game. 💪😍❤️

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know. I’m so used to both colors I couldn’t even tell you which pool halls I play at have either color. I can’t even tell you what color my 6 is at my house!
Ain’t it great having options? 😃😃

My beef with the purple 5 isn’t the purple. It’s because the 4’s purple and it’s natural after 100 years of having a purple 4 to shoot a purple ball after the 3 is down.

Best
Fatboy<———just happy to be here😃

gerryf

Incidentally, we did try playing snooker on a 9' table with 2 1/16" balls. If you shot down the rail and graze the side cushion just past the side pocket, it would still go in the corner. Running centuries was common.

It's certainly better with 2 1/4" balls. 6 Reds or 10 Reds works fine.

gerryf

I refuse to draw a D on my Diamond,,,,,,,,,,, ain't happening
Understood. I think that's one of the reasons I'd like to try 6Reds or 10Reds, but playing Shootout rules. "Ball must hit the rail", and "all fouls are ball-in-hand". There is no D.