Something I’ve never seen

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched the Kozoom/Youtube AGIPI 2013 match of Jaspers vs Caudron. In the 12th inning while in a run, still his turn at the table and leading 34-3, Jaspers said something to the referee and sat down. Balls were spotted and Caudron got to break. I’ve never seen this option before. Can someone explain what rule was used?

Fantastic match, a true classic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched the Kozoom/Youtube AGIPI 2013 match of Jaspers vs Caudron. In the 12th inning while in a run, still his turn at the table and leading 34-3, Jaspers said something to the referee and sat down. Balls were spotted and Caudron got to break. I’ve never seen this option before. Can someone explain what rule was used?
It was a shot clock violation. Here's a link to the video just before the foul (40:48):

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah! A penalty. Thanks for the explanation, Bob.
Amazing that Caudron came of that pretty deep hole and went on to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stunning 3-cushion history was made in 2013, Caudron involved both times. 1) He trails tough-as-nails Jaspers 44-7 in a match to 50 AND WINS. 2) He runs a world record equaling 28 against Zanetti in a match to 40 AND LOSES. That says a lot about the current level of the game.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stunning 3-cushion history was made in 2013, Caudron involved both times. 1) He trails tough-as-nails Jaspers 44-7 in a match to 50 AND WINS. 2) He runs a world record equaling 28 against Zanetti in a match to 40 AND LOSES. That says a lot about the current level of the game.
In my opinion, Caudron lost because Zanetti whined about an obvious shot-clock violation (on the second shot of what would become a 13 point run) and Caudron told the timekeeper to waive it off. I lost respect for Zanetti which I have not regained since that match in 2013.

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, Caudron lost because Zanetti whined about an obvious shot-clock violation (on the second shot of what would become a 13 point run) and Caudron told the timekeeper to waive it off. I lost respect for Zanetti which I have not regained since that match in 2013.
Just to make sure your opinion is based on all of the facts: Zanetti was informed by the referee that the clock malfunctioned and had been switched off. Some 20 minutes later: they had fixed it, and put it back on, but Zanetti had NOT been informed of that. You can't possibly blame him for assuming they were still playing without a clock. Furthermore (but this is speculation on my part as well as yours), I don't think FC's miss on the easy 29th point had anything to do with his opponent.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you sir, clearly I did not have all those facts. I will try to reset my Zanetti opinion (he certainly is a great player, of course).