Source for Metric Endmills for Dots?

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
I'm a new cuemaker and I want to add some dots to spice up my cues a little. I noticed that Atlas has dots in various metric diameters so I just need to figure out how to drill the holes. I have an idexing lathe with a router on the toolpost that will accept bits with 1/4 or 1/8 inch shanks. Does anybody have a source for metric diameter end mills with 1/4 and 1/8 inch shanks? I guess my other option would be to use a drill press but I would need a fixture of some type; I think the lathe would be a lot more accurate and a lot easier. I notice a lot of the cue-specific suppliers have end mills but I don't see any with metric diameters.

Thanks in advance,

Zagiflyer

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zagiflyer said:
I'm a new cuemaker and I want to add some dots to spice up my cues a little. I noticed that Atlas has dots in various metric diameters so I just need to figure out how to drill the holes. I have an idexing lathe with a router on the toolpost that will accept bits with 1/4 or 1/8 inch shanks. Does anybody have a source for metric diameter end mills with 1/4 and 1/8 inch shanks? I guess my other option would be to use a drill press but I would need a fixture of some type; I think the lathe would be a lot more accurate and a lot easier. I notice a lot of the cue-specific suppliers have end mills but I don't see any with metric diameters.

Thanks in advance,

Zagiflyer

I've seen reduced shank drill bits in those sizes somewhere, and the cutting part was quite a bit larger then the shank, but don't remember where. Seems like it was from someone that sold regrind pc/end mills. Might want to check fleabay. Not sure about reduced shank endmills though. Most of Mine are even larger shank, or the cutter is the same size as the shank size, which would be of no use for drilling dots, unless they just happen to be the same size. I'm sure you can get what you need, but not sure how big of a cutter you can get with the smaller shanks. I imagine they would have to be short enough in lenth also, so that the router can still fit on the crosslide. My tooling catalogs are packed away or I would try looking in those for you. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully someone else has a source for what you need. If I run accross anything like that now that It's on the brain, I'll be sure to pass It on.:)

Greg

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
newo9277 said:

Yep, these were the ones I was thinking of http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/newlarmilsin.html I can cut My own dots, and just size them to the cutting bit I use, but I think the dots that atlas has run 3mm-8mm, so that should cover alot of sizes that are in the middle, between 3mm-7mm, but I don't know If they will walk around, or if the short lenth will help. If only they had those drills in brad points.:)

Greg

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
Thanks Everyone,

I think I have some good leads. I noticed that Grizzly Industrial has some 1/4 and 3/16 dots in their guitar parts section and I have straight router bits that size that I can plunge in and make a hole with.

Zagiflyer

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
KBC sell them, metric sized endmills with inch sized shanks. The 3/8" shank 2 flute endmills seem to be available in 0.5mm increments starting at 2.0mm up to 6.0mm, and in 1mm increments to 12.0mm.

Dave, from Canada, that place with a strange mix of english and metric