Southwest Cues

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchased a brand new Southwest cue back in Dec, and this is my review.

The balance is superb.

The hit is incredibly stiff and solid. The cue just seems to have a lot of un-tapped power inside of it. You barely have to hit the cueball to get tons of reaction.

The shafts feel fantastic! I go back and forth daily regarding how much I like/dislike their standard taper...but I can get used to the feel if the results are good.

The cue breaks GREAT!

The triangle tip is good, but I'm still adjusting to it. I just need to get in a lot more playing time. I've used a Moori tip on a 314 shaft for so long, I'm still adjusting. I "might" put a Moori on it. Just not 100% sure.

I will say that the second time I played with the cue I broke and ran 2 consecutive 9 ball racks on the big table, and got halfway through a third until I was sharked. That is good for me.

Anyhow, this is my review. Please post yours!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I will personally review my new Souththwest when I get in in a short while. Will be Birdseye & Cocobolo. Now the question is what come first my Medi Care Card, or the Southwest.
headagainstwall.gif

wild west

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing with a SW for 6 yrs now...starting with a Pacifier and then moving into the fancier ones.
I have enjoyed the Franklins more than the later ones. The exotic nosed ones seem to have a distinct sound, hit and feel; as apposed to the Birdseye nosed.
I tend to favor the newer ferrules as opposed to the Micarta. Again, i just like the hit and feel.
I prefer the Standard taper as opposed to the Pro. To get the true Southwest hit and feel, the Standard is the way to go.
In my opinion...these are some of th best cues today...Playability, Construction, Consistancy and Collectability. Not to mention the Resale value.

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wild west said:
I have been playing with a SW for 6 yrs now...starting with a Pacifier and then moving into the fancier ones.
I have enjoyed the Franklins more than the later ones. The exotic nosed ones seem to have a distinct sound, hit and feel; as apposed to the Birdseye nosed.
I tend to favor the newer ferrules as opposed to the Micarta. Again, i just like the hit and feel.
I prefer the Standard taper as opposed to the Pro. To get the true Southwest hit and feel, the Standard is the way to go.
In my opinion...these are some of th best cues today...Playability, Construction, Consistancy and Collectability. Not to mention the Resale value.
see you are getting a Cochran. I know what your new playing cue will be.:)

gforces1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like mine

I got one about 6 months ago. I really like it. The ball comes off very crisp and you can really roll the ball with predictability. I like the Kamui medium with my cue--- the tip keeps it shape and does not mushroom a great deal. IMHO it is one of the cues that makes the game a little easier.

paulybatz

"The Professor"
Silver Member
SW Cues

SW cues are very well executed and are made to be players cues. Every SW I have owned (2) that came direct from Laurie have played very well. I have played with a few that I did not like, but perhaps they were altered in the secondary market (as many custom cues are).

For example, I owned a Mike Stacey Jump Break and it played supurb, however the third owner had the shaft taken down by someone to 12.75, and now the cue plays like poop.

Anyway, I have learned through about 20 cues that it is best to be patient and wait to get the cue you really want from the cuemaker and not a dealer or on the secondary market, as the cue will be made FOR YOU and YOUR PLAYING TYPE and STYLE.

So if I wanted to buy a SW (or any other cue for that matter) and didnt want to wait, go to Valley Forge, Las Vegas or Derby City and physically try these cues out.