Special tooling for cutting abalone?

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
The problem with summarily dismissing Joey's (or anyone's for that matter) comments about the finish on that blank is the past claims you have made regarding this subject are in stark contrast. I believe you said something like zero sanding is ever needed with your saw machine and its attached gadgets. Something about a gravity fed delrin stabilizer that works miracles. Speaking from memory, you claimed that the finish off of your saw machine is so smooth that 1000 grit paper actually makes the finish worse. Heck, it may have been 1200. By the end of this post, it may be 1500 smooth.

I get a finish better than the pictures posted with a used bosch 2 wing straight bit in a 20 year old Ryobi trimmer with my lathe set on its fastest feed. That doesn't really mean anything. Obviously, the cue is oversized. But when you make such lofty claims about your machinery and tooling and precision and then your pictures reveal something 180 degrees in the other direction you will invite people to shoot at you, whether live ammo or not. Forgive me, but I think you are your own worse enemy.

Again, yeah, the cue is oversized. It makes no difference what the finish is now. It just...is...well...damn shocking to us all to see that quality of cut given what we have been told in the past. :eek: You ask too much of us. Difficult to comprehend such a dichotomy.

Sanding with 1000 makes the finish worse? Sorry Kelly that is not a fact. Your memory is not reliable this time.

My finish passes are at a different travel speeds on butt, All shaft speeds are the same every time very slow as not to shock the shaft wood.. Travel speed has a huge effect on the RMS finish.

I have two saw machines and the follow rest is on the shaft machine because shafts are thin and can ossilate or bounce on the tooling. Tailstock pressure is also critical. When I do a final taper turn at 7 minutes the butt blank's RMS finish will be where I want it. A slight sanding is still needed north and south by hand without spinning because there are different materials used and it must be smoothed because of the different tooling effect on each material. Plus I want a 220 scratch for the substrate.

Keep using your 2 fluke router because you got it all figured out. I am happy for you and your process. Thats all that matters. Different ways to skin a cat I guess.

Rick

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sanding with 1000 makes the finish worse? Sorry Kelly that is not a fact. Your memory is not reliable this time.

My finish passes are at a different travel speeds on butt, All shaft speeds are the same every time very slow as not to shock the shaft wood.. Travel speed has a huge effect on the RMS finish.

I have two saw machines and the follow rest is on the shaft machine because shafts are thin and can ossilate or bounce on the tooling. Tailstock pressure is also critical. When I do a final taper turn at 7 minutes the butt blank's RMS finish will be where I want it. A slight sanding is still needed north and south by hand without spinning because there are different materials used and it must be smoothed because of the different tooling effect on each material. Plus I want a 220 scratch for the substrate.

Keep using your 2 fluke router because you got it all figured out. I am happy for you and your process. Thats all that matters. Different ways to skin a cat I guess.

Rick

Whew, glad you cleared that up. Silly me to think your levels of nirvana applied to intermediate passes on fully assembled cue butts.

I never have anything "figured out", BTW.