Spikeball?! Or 8 Ball?

crazy8legs

Registered
So I'm having brunch. Sitting at the bar. And Spikeball is on ESPN. And it just had me thinking... This is on tv over pool?

Which has me thinking some more...

I appreciate what Matchroom is doing for pool. But I still think they are only catering to/hitting the pool-playing community. If true growth is going to happen, it has to hit the casual observer/player. Which would hopefully then bring in big, non-pool related sponsors, which is the only way to put real money in the sport as a profession (looking at you Coca-Cola, Nike, Budweiser, etc...).

But the problem to me is casual pool players play 8-ball. Why do we keep forcing 9-ball on the public? If your average person was watching a pro game of 8-ball, they would be seeing things happen in the game they didn't think was possible. But could relate. That would make it interesting. And hopefully create great viewership.

Why not 8-ball?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm having brunch. Sitting at the bar. And Spikeball is on ESPN. And it just had me thinking... This is on tv over pool?

I appreciate what Matchroom is doing for pool. But I still think they are only catering to/hitting the pool-playing community. If true growth is going to happen, it has to hit the casual observer/player. Which would hopefully then bring in big, non-pool related sponsors, which is the only way to put real money in the sport as a profession (looking at you Coca-Cola, Nike, Budweiser, etc...).

But the problem to me is casual pool players play 8-ball. Why do we keep forcing 9-ball on the public? If your average person was watching a pro game of 8-ball, they would be seeing things happen in the game they didn't think was possible. But could relate. That would make it interesting. And hopefully create great viewership.

Why not 8-ball?

I honestly think that that the strategy in tournament 8 Ball is too subtle for most casual (bar) players and TV viewers to appreciate.

Nine ball is very simple and straightforward. You have to shoot this ball, and then put the cue ball in position to shoot that ball next…

The only thing worse for the casual player/viewer to watch on TV, would be one pocket… 😱😂

Ghost of OBC

Bring back seven ball! Simple to understand. Fun for the average person to play. You can run a race to 20 in the space of an NBA game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Why not 8-ball?
The last time 8-ball was tried at the top pro level of pool was in Kevin Trudeau's IPT in 2006. It didn't work.

Nothing wrong with having an occasional 8-ball event at pro level, and the blackball tour can be watched by those who like 8-ball, although that's bar table pool, which some like and some don't.

Matchroom has it right. Nine ball is the most exciting type of pool to watch. The rest is about product development and marketing, and I trust Matchroom to, as a rule, make the right choices in these respects.

Ghost of OBC

The last time 8-ball was tried at the top pro level of pool was in Kevin Trudeau's IPT in 2006. It didn't work.

Nothing wrong with having an occasional 8-ball event at pro level, and the blackball tour can be watched by those who like 8-ball, although that's bar table pool, which some like and some don't.

Matchroom has it right. Nine ball is the most exciting type of pool to watch. The rest is about product development and marketing, and I trust Matchroom to, as a rule, make the right choices in these respects.
SJM, was IPT the one on the Outdoor/outside Network? Slow cloth, break from the box, men and women together? I have a clear memory of such a spectacle, but I can't find evidence of it ever existing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SJM, was IPT the one on the Outdoor/outside Network? Slow cloth, break from the box, men and women together? I have a clear memory of such a spectacle, but I can't find evidence of it ever existing.
No idea on the network. Yes, slow cloth, men and women, but just a few events before it folded.

Here are the results of the 2006 IPT North American Open, won by Hohmann:

Ghost of OBC

No idea on the network. Yes, slow cloth, men and women, but just a few events before it folded.

Here are the results of the 2006 IPT North American Open, won by Hohmann:

That's totally it. It was called the Outdoor Life Network at the time (now Versus). Thanks so much. I have memories of watching those events, but until today, I've not been confident they weren't fever dreams.

• Haha
Reactions: sjm