Sportsmanship or not?

poolpro said:
Okay, upon further checking, I found this



3.40 CUE BALL IN HAND FOUL
During cue ball in hand placement, the player may use his hand or any part of his cue (including the tip) to position the cue ball. When placing the cue ball in position, any forward stroke motion of the cue stick contacting the cue ball will be considered a foul if not a legal shot


I think this may be a new clarification. I seem to remember having to give up ball in hand in the past due to placing the cue ball in this manner. As a result, I have learned to only use my hand to place or to alter the placement of the cue ball

Anybody else know if this is a new clarification, or was I misinformed?

Jw

It says "forward stroke motion," I assume that means you can roll the ball forward with your cue if it is obvious that you were not trying to stroke the ball. I would certainly never use the tip to place the CB as the rule allows, that would seem to be asking for trouble for no reason.
 
TAP said:
Here's a question that has always bothered me-
Your opponent places you in a "Hooked" position. Rather than trying to "shoot out", you pick up the cue ball and hand it to your opponent.

Money games, Tournaments, play-for-fun.
Is there a rule against this? Is it really "sporty"? Is it just a smart move?
Modesto, CA.
If you are playing BCA rules...
According to The PlayBCA website, it would be considered an unsportsmanlike conduct violation.
In addition to any penalty required by specific game rules, an unsportsmanlike conduct warning must be issued; a second violation results in loss of game; a third violation results in loss of match.

1.40 Deliberate Foul
It is a deliberate foul if you:
a. intentionally strike the cue ball with anything other than your cue tip;
b. pick up the cue ball or contact the cue ball with your hand in order to end your inning;
c. intentionally stop or deflect any ball that is in motion;
d. catch any ball that is falling into a pocket;
e. place your hand into a pocket while any ball is in motion near or toward that pocket;
 
I can think of situations where the cue ball could be married up to the rail and a ball. The cue ball is trapped and it is a huge advantage to the person who put the cue ball there to get the balls moved. Picking up the cueball with your hand and not disrupting the ball or balls might be considered cheating by a ref and consession of a game.
 
It's not bad sportsmanship to this. It's like taking a pass on your turn. I have done it when the situation is hopeless and anything I try to do is likely to make the runout easier not harder.

I have also done in a bad sportsmanship kind of way though. Sometimes when I am playing a particularly lucky opponent and he keeps missing the pocket and hooking me and I really exasperated then I will just give him ball in hand instead of trying to hit the ball.

Usually done with a sneer of derision and something like "I am sure you'll find a way to hook me with just the nine left" :-)
 
poolhustler said:
This is a rare occurance for me. Normally if I am locked up, I look to tie up a couple of balls to make their run out harder.

I only pick up and hand them the CB is there are a few balls tied up that are hard to break out and by my trying to hit my OB, I may break up a cluster.

Russ..

that's the ticket right there. if you can make the table worse for them by making clusters do it. but if trying a bad kick could potentially open the table, don't kick. i have no prblems giving ball in hand like that if i think i may hurt myself trying something that could potentially make things easier for my opponent.
 
Back
Top