"St. Louie Louie" Roberts Book

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Have Pool Cue Will Travel” by Mark O’Brien

This book is the closest you will ever get to being on the road with one of the greatest and most charismatic players in the history of pool. The stories will take you to that old-time pool room, the diner at 4 AM, and the hours in the car with players with stories to tell.

And they’re pretty good stories.

We always punctuative things with “lol.” But I, no kidding, did laugh out loud chapter after chapter reading about the book’s characters and their adventures hustling, matching up, entering tournaments, traveling, and just hanging out.

If you consider yourself anything of a pool player or rail bird, you’re going to love this book, written with a great deal of detail, affection, and from an insider’s perspective that you will rarely find in pool literature.

Do yourself a favor and get it.

Lou Figueroa

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great read imo

Amazon has it

You can order it there or read the online version

Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/Have-Pool-Cu.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

514uoL0P1VL.jpg

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds great ...
Is the writer with 1st-hand actual info in this writing...
Or ?

thanks for the post-
I have several really good things about Louie here on az,

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a must read for pool lovers and I plan on ordering one, even if $30 for a paperback appears a bit pricey at first glance. It’s not like we have alot to choose from for those that have already read all the good reads when it comes to pool.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this book's been on my list, but is moving up it...
thanks lou and terry for the recommends

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds great ...
Is the writer with 1st-hand actual info in this writing...
Or ?

thanks for the post-
I have several really good things about Louie here on az,

Yes.

Mark was very close to Louie as a friend and pool room owner. Plus, Mark has been wired in with anybody and everybody on the St. Louis pool scene -- Louie's hometown stomping grounds -- for decades.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes.

Mark was very close to Louie as a friend and pool room owner. Plus, Mark has been wired in with anybody and everybody on the St. Louis pool scene -- Louie's hometown stomping grounds -- for decades.

Lou Figueroa

Excellent-
thank you for post

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

This book is the closest you will ever get to being on the road with one of the greatest and most charismatic players in the history of pool. The stories will take you to that old-time pool room, the diner at 4 AM, and the hours in the car with players with stories to tell.

We always punctuative things with “lol.” But I, no kidding, did laugh out loud chapter after chapter reading about the book’s characters and their adventures hustling, matching up, entering tournaments, traveling, and just hanging out.

If you consider yourself anything of a pool player or rail bird, you’re going to love this book, written with a great deal of detail, affection, and from an insider’s perspective that you will rarely find in pool literature.

Lou Figueroa
I was going to order this, and Amazon reminded me that I already ordered it on Kindle! Thanks for the reminder to read this book!

Freddie <~~~ CRS

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ordered the book. Looking forward to reading about his matches with The Rifleman.:cool:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Im only 42 pages in and it’s already a great read. I got the giggles and laughed for a good few minutes straight while reading the “Pappy and the Gremlins” story. Reminded me of my great uncle “Cotton”.

I definitely recommend people pick this book up!

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Roger Reel

I read the book and really liked it. I grew up in St Louis but left a bit before Louie was on the scene. I tried to friend the author of the book on Facebook but he hasn't responded as of yet so I'll ask this group my question.

I had a school mate named Roger Reel, who Tom Ferry and others described as Louie's long-time friend and traveling companion. But Roger was alluded to only briefly in the book as Roger the Dodger and I was surprised he wasn't mentioned more. I didn't really know Roger but always wanted to know more about his time with Louie. So here is my question: Anybody got any info on him? Thanks.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the book and really liked it. I grew up in St Louis but left a bit before Louie was on the scene. I tried to friend the author of the book on Facebook but he hasn't responded as of yet so I'll ask this group my question.

I had a school mate named Roger Reel, who Tom Ferry and others described as Louie's long-time friend and traveling companion. But Roger was alluded to only briefly in the book as Roger the Dodger and I was surprised he wasn't mentioned more. I didn't really know Roger but always wanted to know more about his time with Louie. So here is my question: Anybody got any info on him? Thanks.

I don’t have an answer for you, but I’ll ask Mark about Roger next time I see him and report back. Unless someone else beats me to it.

I was over at Mark’s house when he was still putting the book together and he had a TON of material to organize and sort through, so he may very well have more info about Roger and Louie that just didn’t find it’s way into the book.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a copy at Cue and Cushion a few days ago. It's a FUN and QUICK read. Very entertaining! A+

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Page 113, this book, so far, is mostly about the author and not St. Louie Louie. Entertaining, but not so much about the St.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I gotta buy this book. I loved and hated Louie, all at the same time. :rolleyes:
I was able to order it after Amazon made me jump through hurdles just to be able to buy it. They tried to stick me with extra shipping charges unless I opted out and got shipping for free. I HATE buying anything on Amazon and will NEVER get one of their cards. I do sell my book on there (kindle version), but it's virtually impossible to ever find out what is going on with my sales. Someone is buying it though as I get a royalty check every three months with zero details on sales. I'm not even sure how much I make on each sale. Jeff Bezos is a little too fckn rich for me! :wink:

Last edited: