St. Valentine's day 62

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for hints, tips and/or suggestions. This was more like a 42 and a 20 with a circus shot in between. Still a 62. All comments welcome. Should I keep the camera at the end of the table or move it to the side for better coverage? Thanks in advance.

YouTube Link:
http://youtu.be/-YJ5vLZMkZo

Andy

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Camera's in a pretty good spot. Great shotmaking. Position could use work, needs to be much more precise for 14.1. But your biggest problem is shot selection. You've got the tools but poor shot selection will hold you back. Fine tune position and improve shot selection and I can see you running big numbers quite often.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I cant give you any advice because you beat my best record. I am at 40 on film. Did a 50 with no camera. But I runs 30's all the time.
Leaving the break ball is my biggest problem. I would go much further if I just could leave the dang cue where I want on that crucial last shot!!!
Usually for me,,it is a simple shot,,but I leave the shot straight in or on the wrong side by Mili Meters.
I get ticked,, when I am on the rack to break 40 and do this. And I have done it allot.

I like your called shot with a full rack. I never get away with it.lol

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sparkle84,
Which shot(s) were you talking about? Which shot would you have selected instead and why?

Thanks,
Andy

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flash5152,

I started that way because I was practicing my opening break shot. Then I like to see how well I can return the safety.

Andy

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good shooting. I like your pace of play. You're probably aware of this rule (WPA) and don't violate it in competition, but just in case:

"6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul."

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting. Just a comment on the rack you broke open at 7:35. It appeared to me that you didn't spend enough time evaluating the rack before going for the combination. Did you consider how you were going to separate the cluster before starting into the rack? Does the 5 pass into the corner, is the 8-14 combination good enough to use for a break out? Choosing to eliminate the two balls on the rail was not necessarily a bad choice. However, it looks like a missable shot from where you are shooting. Another "can't miss" option would have been the 2 in the side, the 9 and then the 1 for a nice easy straight in combo where you would be able to combo in the 7 and then probably remove the 13 next.

At 7:53 it looks like you considered the 9 but it was too far to reach, or something. Why did you choose to shoot the 2 to the 4? IMO it wasn't the best choice available because if you missed position by just a little bit on that 4 you've have had no shot. I like a stop shot on the 12 to give you more room to shoot the 9 in the corner, which can be used to separate the 6-14. Just hit hard enough to bump the balls around a little, moving them in a direction to possibly create a break ball. The 13 is your safety ball. By going 4-13 and trying to break off the 13, you've removed your safety or backup ball. It is a cardinal rule in 14.1 that you not break open the balls unless you have a safety ball. This is a ball you can be reasonably sure of having a shot on after going into a cluster. (Of course at times you have to go into clusters with out a safety ball, so just shoot a little harder to spread things a bit more).

I'm sure there are other ways to open up the cluster, but I like pushing them in that direction.

You lost the rack when you missed the cluster coming off the 13. I'd say with the 13 on the rail it is almost impossible to hit the cluster from that angle with any speed. Maybe it can be done, but why shoot a shot with extreme english and draw? If the 13 were an inch off the rail you'd have had a better chance. It's a good shot to practice because the angle coming off the rail with draw is pretty repeatable.

Thanks for posting!

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan,

Thanks for your well thought out response.

I did not like the cut on the five, It fit but not by much. I considered the 2-9-1 to start but the combo on the bottom rail laid real well from where I was. I don't like leaving two balls on the rail as a loose rule. Your suggestion of starting with the 2-9-1-7-13 was exceptional. I will look for similar patterns in the future. Simple to move from ball to ball with that pattern. I made a bad choice trying to get the breakout off the 13 (and I think I knew it when I shot it).

Thank you for taking the time to watch and comment; it is very much appreciated.

Andy

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sparkle84,
Which shot(s) were you talking about? Which shot would you have selected instead and why?

Thanks,
Andy

Shot selection is dictated by goals. Goals are dictated by problems. Solving problems early and efficiently will lead to good shot selection. Other than not missing it's the most important thing in this game.
Let's skip the first 2 racks because they were extremely easy and most good players could get through them in spite of poor shot selection. The 3rd rack was also fairly easy (very few problems), yet you had trouble with it.
If you evaluate that rack immediately after the break it's obvious the only small problem was the cluster in the rack area. In some racks the 15 could be a problem but not here because of the position of the 12. The evaluation should also note that the 10 is an excellent break shot and the 2 is a great key ball. The 2 should not be removed unless absolutely necessary. The 5 is an excellent ball to break the small cluster, mainly because you'd be breaking the balls away from your breakshot. But what's required to do that? You'd want to remove the 9 because it appears to block the 5 (or is tight going by) and then have to shoot 2 or 3 more balls to get over on the other side and break with the 5.
Nothing wrong with that and I suspect a lot of good players might do just that. I might have done that but probably wouldn't. I'm looking for the quickest, easiest way to separate those balls. In that case the 1 becomes the obvious choice. Getting the CB 8-10" above the 9 on the first shot would be my goal. Via either the combination you shot or the 3 and going 2 rails around the 9. Easy to execute almost every time but let's say I got a little bit of a bad angle on the 1. I now have the 9,12,15 or a couple of those to get back where I'd like to be.
Now I can shoot the 1 and go up into the 6 gently and spread those balls out a little bit. Again, very easy to execute and all kinds of insurance. Two things to note here. I could mishit the shot badly and move the 10 or have a couple balls tied up with each other. I'm not really too concerned about that. I'd still have 12 balls to work with, 6 of which are in close proximity to each other and are around the rack area. One of which could serve as a good break ball or be moved into position very easily.
Some people would contend that shooting a few balls in and getting on the 5 is the best choice and I won't disagree, it's a very good choice. I just like to go the quickest route possible without creating more problems than existed beforehand. I like breaking with the 1 with this particular situation. A bigger cluster or slightly different lay of balls and the 5 would have been my preference. Of course there's other ways of going about it but IMO none of them would afford the same degree of efficiency and control as those 2 choices.
This was rather long and drawn out but I'm trying to illustrate that evaluating the problems and searching out a quick easy way to deal with them will often lead to more correct shot and position selection. Emphasis on quick because many racks have multiple difficult problems and without efficient solutions you'll quickly find yourself backed into a corner from which there's no escape.
The 4th and 5th racks are also good examples of where better shot selection would have paid big dividends. A couple minutes examining problems and setting goals to deal with them probably would have led you to a different choice of shots +/or position.
There's a lot of talk on here about clearing pockets, taking balls off rails, getting balls uptable, etc.. All good advice in general but if doing those things is not solving problems as you go then it becomes bad advice. Doing those things is usually helping to solve problems, but not always. If you start with the problems and the solutions to them then most likely those above mentioned rules of thumb will be an integral part of the process automatically. Accomplishing multiple objectives with one shot is another key to good straight pool.
There's also a lot of emphasis on end patterns. Books and videos, etc.. Again good advice and very important. But maybe not the most important thing. Decisions in early and mid rack will lead to good, easy foolproof end patterns. Bad decisions won't. The balls comprising that easy end pattern will no longer be on the table or will be in different positions.
Not trying to be critical here, as I said you've got the tools, no question about that. Just need to change your thought process some and maintain finer position and better angles and you should be running a lot of balls.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sparkle84,

It didn't seem critical in a negative way, but a critique, and well thought out. There is some very good advise in your response, thank you for taking the time to respond. Watching the video, after yours and others comments, I see things I should have done differently. Your insight helps with seeing different (better) ways to play the rack.

Thanks,

Andy