Star Golden Tournament Chinese 8 Ball tables

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tomorrow I'm picking up 3 Star Golden Tournament Chinese 8 Ball tables used once in a CBSA tournament in the US. These tables are very rare here and amazing works of engineering. There isn't much available online about them here because there are no American distributors.

Table specs:
9 by 4.5 feet table with 100x50 inch playing surface
Weight is 2,200 pounds
Corner pocket size 3.5 inches
Steel rails with L shaped snooker cushions at height to play with standard 2.25 inch pool balls
Steel frame with 37 leveling points
Slate looks to be 40 or 50 mm, can't find that spec online
Tables can be heated with pads that go inside the frame under the slate. Controls are on base of table.

Posting here to show people what a wonderful game Chinese 8 ball is because of the difficulty. Other games can be played as well, in particular 9 ball. If you can play on one of these, you can play on anything.

I'm going to post pictures of us installing one of these in my pool hall. I have two other tables available for sale. I'm in Syracuse NY so if someone wants one to pickup at Turning Stone in January that can be arranged. I will also be going to the Derby City Classic in January and could deliver there or anywhere along the way. The tables are packed in original boxes so they could also be palleted and shippeld. PM me if you want one, they will be very reasonably priced.

If you watch online videos of Shane Vanboening playing matches in China, you will see how challenging this fans us. I think he took 4th in an event pp0after learning about the game. He told me that it humbled him.

Questions I still have:

If anyone can tell me how the headstring and racking area are marked please do. I think it is white tailor's chalk.

I'd like to know how the cloth is maintained. I see that it is ironed periodically, I believe to lay the nap of the cloth towards the foot of the table.

Thanks everyone and enjoy

Attachments

• received_378732050181319.jpg
    received_378732050181319.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 605
  • China 8 Ball Pocket.jpg
    China 8 Ball Pocket.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 727
  • 16018565181732337046556891437208_49441868939367.jpg
    16018565181732337046556891437208_49441868939367.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 564
  • 00n0n_bztrxeiux5z_600x450-551ac465-large.jpg
    00n0n_bztrxeiux5z_600x450-551ac465-large.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played 8 ball on one in Thailand. The snooker cloth and pockets, large balls, made it interesting. Hit balls too fast, they rattle, hit balls too slow they roll off. Speed seemed more important than on a Diamond or Gold Crown
Great tables to play on, lots of fun.

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite the table.

I play a lot of 8 ball on my Snooker table. It’s always amusing when I have someone over for the first time.

Their 90% potting success drops to 40%.. It rises as they realize that some shots, such as Wobblies down a rail, are just not going to sink...or trying to bank a full size ball into a 3.5” pocket is a low percent shot.

In my city there are a couple of ‘Joy’ tables. I’ve never played on a Star that I know of. I use my snooker cue for both Snooker and American pool. It’s interesting how top Snooker players like Selby an Hendry use their Snooker cues for Chinese 8 ball but top American Pool players use an American cue.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm traveling tomorrow with these from Columbus Ohio to Syracuse. I have 2 to sell. If you want one... Buying off the truck is the best deal you can even imagine. Message here by pm.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I got seperated from my Greyhound bus to Columbus!

Made it 3 hours to Buffalo arriving late, but didn't know it. Anticipated the 15 minutes wait to transfer so I used the facilities. Came out and the transfer bus was gone. Tried to get a c
to Erie PA to head the bus off at the next stop... Would have needed a nitrous car by the time the cab arrived and the can guy wanted $300. Another cabby took me 20 minutes to the train and I missed that by so minutes. The train/bus station has 7 car rental companies, of course all closed.
So I had a nice nap at the car rental area. Not a soul here until 6am. Just another 2 hours and 15 minutes til then. I'm thinking why the hell didn't I rent a car in the first place?

The things we won't do for pool!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn!!!

That is devotion.

I got stranded in detroit (airport) about a year ago, to the day.
I got hammered at the bar though.

Good times. But not good today...good later.

So I got seperated from my Greyhound bus to Columbus!

Made it 3 hours to Buffalo arriving late, but didn't know it. Anticipated the 15 minutes wait to transfer so I used the facilities. Came out and the transfer bus was gone. Tried to get a c
to Erie PA to head the bus off at the next stop... Would have needed a nitrous car by the time the cab arrived and the can guy wanted $300. Another cabby took me 20 minutes to the train and I missed that by so minutes. The train/bus station has 7 car rental companies, of course all closed.
So I had a nice nap at the car rental area. Not a soul here until 6am. Just another 2 hours and 15 minutes til then. I'm thinking why the hell didn't I rent a car in the first place?

The things we won't do for pool!

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
..nothing like a good adventure chasing pool tables, you're young.

good luck, I think, you're renting a truck...

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The saga of "a pool room in a box". Keep it coming. Season1 has a lot of promise!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2nd day picked up tables started at noon and ended about 630. Room is next to a granite company and a man lifted 7 of the 40mm thick Chinese 8 ball tables... Drove till 11pm and had to call it. Slept in the truck.

Today sold one Chinese 8 ball table to Bison Billiards in Buffalo. The young man helping us was so impressed with the table that he bought the 2nd one. Got home 6pm.

Tomorrow I'm gonna start setting the table up in my pool hall. Will be center stage. Can't wait to see it. Will post pics.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2nd day picked up tables started at noon and ended about 630. Room is next to a granite company and a man lifted 7 of the 40mm thick Chinese 8 ball tables... Drove till 11pm and had to call it. Slept in the truck.

Today sold one Chinese 8 ball table to Bison Billiards in Buffalo. The young man helping us was so impressed with the table that he bought the 2nd one. Got home 6pm.

Tomorrow I'm gonna start setting the table up in my pool hall. Will be center stage. Can't wait to see it. Will post pics.
Nice going! Thanks for the updates.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sold one to Bison Billiards in Buffalo.
Young man who helped love it bought the other one I was selling.

Today I set up the table base, steel frame and put the slates on it.

Tomorrow we cloth the bed and put rails and pockets together. By 5 pm we got action. I will post pics.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One dude loaded those slates?

I won't even ask if he lifted them all at once...I moved a 40mm+ granite bed carom table once that had 3pc slates and could barely get them out the door, with a buddy who moved heavy shit for a living!

That shit is heavy. no joke heavy. Hurt you forever heavy.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
One dude loaded those slates?

I won't even ask if he lifted them all at once...I moved a 40mm+ granite bed carom table once that had 3pc slates and could barely get them out the door, with a buddy who moved heavy shit for a living!

That shit is heavy. no joke heavy. Hurt you forever heavy.

He lifted all 7 with a forklift and didn't break a sweat

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Looking at the pocket I'd guess a ball couldn't be cut in down a rail, but I've seen video showing otherwise.

Nice table!

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
..geeeez SBC,
its 4:30 in the morning,
feeling like Christmas?,
anticipation I guess, I would be getting a little anxious too.

the dam of it is on those down the rail shots?
you don't want to slow roll it if it's worth something for your opponent if you miss,
leaving it in front of the pocket.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table mechanic Geoff Bradshaw abd I put the table together today. Geoff does fantastic work and is a great friend to myself and the room.

Table is so overbuilt compared too pool tables . The rails have a half inch thick steel plate that's 6 inches wide going down the length. Gotta be 60 pounds a rail. Was easy to level the 45mm slate on the leveling pins. Wood base and steel frame are beyond sturdy. We restretched the old cloth on that was used for the display event. Decided to spray glue it on because they had not left much to work with to be able to pull and use staples.

Had a bunch of regulars testing it out the second we finished. Amazingly challenging table. We are going to enjoy the hell out of this table.