Starter Cue suggestions

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting a little more serious about 3C and looking to buy a cue for the game. I've seen a few and don't have a wad of cash, but would like to get a good cue for a begging player.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
someone recommend hanbat as a really cheap but really good quality for the money carom cue
yura has some,

check out ron kilby as well, I dont know what his cues go for but his shafts are very affordable, im getting mine today or tmrw

csarda1

3 Cushions Addict
Silver Member
someone recommend hanbat as a really cheap

.- Hey, hold it!

Hanbat is NOT a "El cheapo" brand, (some models are $2,000)

Remember, is the brand of choice of most of the top players in Korea. (To have a perspective about Korea's 3C Level, the last 3C World Cup winner was a Korean, and there are 3 Koreans in the TOP TEN) Also some non Korean players , like Jean Paul DE BRUIJN (# 12 UMB Ranking)

BUT

There are some economic, entry level models, in the the $150 to 300 range, of excellent quality.

But, whether is an economic or an expensive model, Hanbat is the best bang for the buck I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
I second hanbat

I own one of the Kentauros line of Hanbat carom cues and am very pleased with it.

csarda1

3 Cushions Addict
Silver Member
I own one of the Kentauros line of Hanbat carom cues and am very pleased with it.

.- The Kentauros Series is the best bang for the buck among the entire Hanbat line, which is much to say.

Laminated shaft with a laminated tip, Uni-loc Radial and EXCELLENT finishing and playability, starting at mere150 Euros.

It's a shame they are very hard to come by here in Pool-land.

One of the things I like about Hanbat is they specialize in carom cues, since that's what they mainly play in S Korea.

(EDIT) They do make pool cues, although they're not not very popular.

In Korea, there is 10 Million billiard players and more than 40.000 carom tables.

Last edited:

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Every cue manufacturer, that makes carom cues, has an economy line for you to start with. As with everything else in life, it's all dependent on how much you are willing to spend and personal preference. I would start by searching for a good used one on here or the bay and go from there. You can't go wrong with any of the following....Hanbat, Longoni, Schuler, Kilby, and Adams.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Me too. I have the Hanbat Ketsausus Plus-33.

Info for the OP:

The plus signifies that it has the Hanbat plus-5 shaft, which is a laminated shaft. I got mine with a second plus-5 shaft from Kozoom for about 265 euros, which was about $280 at current exchange rates. I couldn't find it domestically. The base price for the cue with one shaft was about $150.

If someone is willing to forego the laminated plus-5 shaft and go with a solid maple shaft Hanbat has nice looking cues down to about $60, but I've never played with one of those.

And, of course, you can pay a lot lot more for a Hanbat. I tend to look for the point at which I have all of the performance technology (i.e., the laminated shaft) but am not having to pay for a lot of fancy decorative stuff that is nice, but not what I want to spend my money on.

There are other great cue makers but for me the price and features of the Hanbat were a good fit.

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
What's the difference in a 3 Cushion Carom Cue vs. Pocket Billiards Cues.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's the difference in a 3 Cushion Carom Cue vs. Pocket Billiards Cues.

Weight, length, taper and typically tip size. But you can use a pocket billiard cue for billiards, but it may not have the spine for all shots.

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
Weight, length, taper and typically tip size. But you can use a pocket billiard cue for billiards, but it may not have the spine for all shots.
Thanks, I've got a cue somewhere in the house with a 12mm tip so THT would probably help, Are the weights lower than like some pool cues are 20.9oz or more an are the tapers long like 16" or the short 12.5" straight taper or they different I know a lot of one pocket players where I live have really short taper 12" usually.

csarda1

3 Cushions Addict
Silver Member
Thanks, I've got a cue somewhere in the house with a 12mm tip so THAT would probably help, Are the weights lower than like some pool cues are 20.9oz or more and are the tapers long like 16" or the short 12.5" straight

.- Hello

Carom/3 cushion cues are different from pool cues.
Carom/3 cushion shafts don't have pool tapers.
Carom/3 cushion cues have low deflection, stronger conical constant or near constant tapers (European/Eiffel taper) and are shorter, thicker and rear balanced.
This is necessary because 3 cushion tables are larger than pool tables, and the balls are bigger/heavier then pool balls.

Last edited:

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
.- Hello

Carom/3 cushion cues are different from pool cues.
Carom/3 cushion shafts don't have pool tapers.
Carom/3 cushion cues have low deflection conical constant or near constant tapers (European/Eiffel taper) and are shorter, thicker and rear balanced.
Thank You Very Much. You Nailed It, That's Exactly What I Was Wanting To Know. I love Pool Taper Cues I Like The 16 Inch or maybe even the Earl Strickland Style which is almost tapered
The Complete Shaft "I Believe That Is What His Taper Is Like."