Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

kanzzo

hobby player
calling a ball from the unbroken rack has a long history.

In November, on Friday the thirteenth, I ran 365 while playing Nixon Jones in Wilmington, North Carolina. I knew Nixon fairly well. He was the owner of the establishment, and I had played there quite often when I was in that part of the country. What was most interesting about that game was that I made the run off my own break. I called the one ball, at the front of the triangle, in the left side pocket. It’s a shot that can be made maybe one time in three, but you can never take a chance on it in a tournament. What you do is hit the cue ball high and drive it into the right side of the one ball. If you hit the cue ball in the center, it will force the object ball forward; if you hit it high, with force-follow, the one will carom and bounce back toward the left side. On this occasion, the ball dropped in the pocket and I went on from there, without missing, for more than an hour and a half.

Cohen, Stanley; Mosconi, Willie. Willie's Game: An Autobiography . Open Road Media. Kindle Edition.

it's one time in three on triangle rack, its 9 out of 10 on Perma Rack

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most straight pool players know two or three shots off a 15 or 14 ball rack — they’re not dead but will sometimes go.

Lou Figueroa

kanzzo

hobby player
When did players get the opprotunity to make the rules on the fly...? Is there some version of 14.1 where this is allowed..? I'd be crazy good at that game.

No rules on the fly. Where did you get this from? With every run between 2006 and 2019 Schmidt was hoping to run 500+. In every run he would hate it to shoot a bank. Because he would hate to get this accomplishment and hear someone say "Yeah, but you banked once".

In 9 Ball players with the best break won the tournaments. (Strickland, Bustamante, Archer). Then Magic rack was introduced and Immonen and Deuel and Alcano started to run out sets with a soft break. The rule was changed, because they felt it's not in the spirit of 9 ball to break with 4 mph and run out tournaments.

kanzzo

hobby player
Most straight pool players know two or three shots off a 15 or 14 ball rack — they’re not dead but will sometimes go.

Lou Figueroa

this are the typical balls. The are very high percentage on a perfect rack. (It's a triangle rack in the video. Was recorded on first try with no editing.)

kanzzo

hobby player
Is it easy?

I use a magic rack when I play straight pool. I’ve sometimes attempted a shot I first saw Souquet play: firing into one of the two head balls and banking the other head ball into the opposite side pocket. I think I’ve made that shot twice out of 20-30 times. There are several shots like this, all of them very difficult to pull off. Well, not difficult, just random.

EDIT: Sorry, that wasn’t the post the I was supposed to reply to 😂 Was supposed to reply to an earlier post of yours.
guess you will find the above video helpful

kanzzo

hobby player
Lets be objective here. If the rack was done correctly, then a dead ball is just as playable from a triangle rack vs a template rack.
The referee would put in some randomness being unable to rack the ball exactly the same every time.

You have to rack the balls randomly in 9-Ball and 10-Ball. Taking away the random factor in these games seems like an improvement on first sight but is actually bad for the game. So embrace some imperfection ^___^

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This sentence got me to mention Schmidt. He was looking to set a record and I remembered from interviews and DVDs that it was important for him. So just an example to prove your point wrong.
The truth to this matter is only known to those living within Schmidt's head. Not to those listening to the vibrating air exiting his mouth. If you prefer to consider me wrong, that's fine by me. I don't necessarily believe everything that's said to me.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It's a science to read a rack and take gaps into account. It takes away this knowledge from the player, if the rack is same every time.
...and pool would probably be more entertaining if the pocket dimensions on a given table were random. What's your point?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No rules on the fly. Where did you get this from?
I think I may have wandered into the aiming forum. Reread the posts of yours that I quoted, if you're wondering what I'm talking about.

Read the bolded text below.
and this is why we need rules beforehand**. To know which balls count and which don't. So we don't have to rely on the judgement of a player being close to his goal***, he had for the last 20 years.
**We do have rules already.
***Your suggesting that a player may alter how he chooses to play the game amidst his current inning.

If this isn't what you meant to suggest. Then I suggest you may want measure your words before posting. I'm doing my best to follow along, but this saying one thing, but meaning something else is tiring.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I'm going to repeat my question on more time for all you smarta$$ who think you're smarter than I am hense all your sarcastic, stupid answers.

A pool table, with drop pockets, NO Ball return, that just had the cloth changed, has NO spot on it yet, and NO name plate on ANY rails, NO score counters, NOTHING!

WHICH END IS THE DAMN HEAD AND WHUCH END IS THE DAMN FOOT????

Now READ, READ, AND READ AGAIN if you must, THEN ANSWER the question, which seems to damn smart for any of you to figure out!!! If you give up, I'll answer it FOR YOU!!!
My old girlfriend always used to throw away (give to me) the last bite of her hamburger.

When I first noticed her throwing the piece away I asked her why, and she told me “I don’t like the end” 😂😂

True story - no hyperbole, non-apocryphal. There was a definitive “end” of her hamburguesa and she did not like it.

She also didn’t understand why you couldn’t make a U-turn from the outside lane of a double turn lane.

I had to explain that the person on the inside isn’t always going to be making a U-turn with you and you might smash into them 🙃

She was a very sweet girl and ungodly pretty so I let these things wash over me - even those she was a gas/break/gas/break driver. She never just coasted smoothly. I never felt safe with her driving and almost always took the wheel.

I guess we’re far afield now but your drop pocket “end of the table” reminded me of her.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
calling a ball from the unbroken rack has a long history.

In November, on Friday the thirteenth, I ran 365 while playing Nixon Jones in Wilmington, North Carolina. I knew Nixon fairly well. He was the owner of the establishment, and I had played there quite often when I was in that part of the country. What was most interesting about that game was that I made the run off my own break. I called the one ball, at the front of the triangle, in the left side pocket. It’s a shot that can be made maybe one time in three, but you can never take a chance on it in a tournament. What you do is hit the cue ball high and drive it into the right side of the one ball. If you hit the cue ball in the center, it will force the object ball forward; if you hit it high, with force-follow, the one will carom and bounce back toward the left side. On this occasion, the ball dropped in the pocket and I went on from there, without missing, for more than an hour and a half.

Cohen, Stanley; Mosconi, Willie. Willie's Game: An Autobiography . Open Road Media. Kindle Edition.

yep, those shots have been around forever. i always felt slighted when someone tried that in matchplay, it is kind of disrespectful, but then again it's also a signal to improve your game. you just don't take the risk if your opponent will run a few racks from a failed attempt.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its a lot different in finding them in the rack rather than using a rack that makes them dead or a high % shot.

anytime in a sport you let the players or teams start changing equipment you change the game. to di it has to be for a good reason.

in baseball someone invented the fungo bat so they had to outlaw it or ruin the game.
same with special racks in pool or special pocket dimensions.

kanzzo

hobby player
I think I may have wandered into the aiming forum. Reread the posts of yours that I quoted, if you're wondering what I'm talking about.

Read the bolded text below.

**We do have rules already.
***Your suggesting that a player may alter how he chooses to play the game amidst his current inning.

If this isn't what you meant to suggest. Then I suggest you may want measure your words before posting. I'm doing my best to follow along, but this saying one thing, but meaning something else is tiring.
being on the run of 70 he would be sick to play a bank or call a ball out of the rack. Since every run of 70 could become a run of 500+. Possible, he would change his mind approaching 520. Now we really drifted to some kind of guessing hypothetical thoughts of some straight pool player. Wasn't my intention.

Just wanted to point out, that pride plays a role in running high runs and breaking records and some players dedicating a lot of time to put some high runs together "get sick going for a bank or calling a ball from undisturbed rack". Other players don't get sick playing the same balls. So this players have an advantage.

I am an average pool player who spent some little time thinking about and practicing balls out of a rack in straight pool. I am pretty sure that players like Filler and Shaw and Boening and Deuel dedicating some time practicing these shots could make them much better than me. So the only question is, how do you want the future of straight pool to be?

I am kinda straight pool purist. I think Perma Rack should not be used for straight pool. But if it is used to guarantee a perfect rack every time and eliminate some bias for the player from the guy racking the balls, then calling balls out of the rack shouldn't be allowed.

It's obviously possible just to stick to the rules the way they are and the one who makes the best out of it wins. So I am getting a deja vu from the discussion about the ban of Orcollo. I am thinking about the intent of the rules and when they start to become unjust.

In his book author Tim Ferriss describes how he became the kickboxing champion of the world. While he was engaged in the vital work of building his automated nutraceuticals company, his potential opponents in the ring were spending hours enduring grueling regimens in dank dojos. When Ferriss decided he wanted to take home the title, he saw no reason his lack of comparable talent or training should stand in his way.

To this end, Ferris researched the sport’s rules and uncovered a technicality stating that contestants who step outside the fighting circle three times are disqualified. Armed with this knowledge, he worked out how to wriggle his body in such a way to get his opponents to do just that.

Is Tim Ferris the best kickboxer in the world? Not even close. But he has the title. And in the age we’re living in, that’s all that matters.

Most serious martial artists would consider Tim Ferriss's behavior to be completely dishonorable. Fortunately for Ferriss, most of us aren’t serious martial artists. In 21st century America, old-fashioned notions like honor and fair play are for suckers. The credo of our time is that as if it ain’t technically illegal, it’s awesome. The people who rise to the top are no longer those who accomplish truly great things, but those who figure out how to most attractively package their shortcuts and fake-outs.

A few people still believe it is this mentality that leads to societal scourges like mortgage-backed securities, Kardashians and bankrupt game show hosts becoming President. But you can either get angry about the way the world is or learn how to survive and thrive in it. If you choose to go the latter route, there’s a lot you can learn from Tim Ferriss.

^^ this is from here.

I don't think Tim Ferriss is evil in some way. I think he is just good and pointing out examples, how you can beat someone, if the rules are flawed. But there is a way to change flawed rules. That's what I am trying here.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I am kinda straight pool purist. I think Perma Rack should not be used for straight pool. But if it is used to guarantee a perfect rack every time and eliminate some bias for the player from the guy racking the balls, then calling balls out of the rack shouldn't be allowed.
I'll be completely honest and say that I started to glaze over once you mentioned Orcollo, and then stopped reading once you got to some Tim guy that has nothing to do with pool. Let alone the straight version.

That said, I completely agree with the above quote. I'll extend it a hair further to any template used in either competition or 'exhibition'. I believe a record setting effort needs to happen in one of the two formats for it to be considered a record. That, or even a live stream of practice runs.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Good thing it IS a pool forum, because SIMPLE Questions seem to confuse a lot here, but NOT YOU GOOD OL BUDDY, YOU GOT IT RIGHT!!!
It's so easy to wind you up that it isn't even fun anymore. You are the only one taking this entire discussion seriously.
c7114f0e8385ec70e52838f661ddae66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

kanzzo

hobby player
anytime in a sport you let the players or teams start changing equipment you change the game. to do it has to be for a good reason.
^^ nicely said.

I am just pointing out early, where this change in equipment could lead. Breaking with a steep angle aiming to a blind pocket is tougher, when calling a high percentage shot on the corner ball using the maximum size of the pocket and using all the force of the CB to spread the balls. So while I am not a threat to run 700 I could perhaps run 200 with a Perma Rack not able to run 100 on a regular table.

Deuel is best for figuring out the break shots. Would love to see him running 1000 and only using the balls from the rack, that I pointed out in my video.