Stats -- Styer vs. Geronimo 10-Ball Race to 75, March 2023

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some results from the Tyler Styer vs. Rodrigo "Edgie" Geronimo 10-ball match played at Griff's Bar & Billiards in Las Vegas on March 24-26, 2023. Free streaming was provided by Las Vegas Pool Report on YouTube.

This match was a race to 75 game wins played over 3 days. Styer won the match, outscoring Geronimo on the second and third days (Styer's scores first):
Day 1 -- 21 - 25​
Day 2 -- 26 - 25 (2-day total 47 - 50)​
Day 3 -- 28 - 13​
Total -- 75 - 63​

Conditions -- The conditions for this event included:
- 9-foot Diamond table with 4¼" corner pockets;​
- Simonis 860 Tournament Blue cloth;​
- Aramith Tournament balls with a blue-spots cue ball;​
- triangle rack;​
- rack your own (both players pattern racked), with the 1-ball on the foot spot and the 2-ball and 3-ball on the back corners;​
- winner breaks from anywhere behind the head string;​
- call shots;​
- early 10-balls are spotted immediately;​
- 3-foul rule in effect (did not happen);​
- jump cues allowed; and​
- no shot clock.​

■ Styer broke 75 times -- successful 69 times (resulting in 45 game wins and 24 losses), no fouls, and 6 dry (2 wins, 4 losses).

■ Geronimo broke 63 times -- successful 50 times (resulting in 31 game wins and 19 losses), 1 foul (a loss), and 12 dry (4 wins, 8 losses).

Successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
Styer -- 92% (69 of 75)​
Geronimo -- 79% (50 of 63)​
Total -- 86% (119 of 138)​

Breaker won game:
Styer -- 63% (47 of 75)​
Geronimo -- 56% (35 of 63)​
Total -- 59% (82 of 138)​

Break-and-run games -- on all breaks:
Styer -- 36% (27 of 75)​
Geronimo -- 25% (16 of 63)​
Total -- 31% (43 of 138)​

Break-and-run games -- on successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
Styer -- 39% (27 of 69)​
Geronimo -- 32% (16 of 50)​
Total -- 36% (43 of 119)​

Fouls and foul rates: [Note: "games at the table" means total games less opponent's B&R games.]
Styer -- 13 fouls (none on the break) in 122 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 9.4 games at the table)​
Geronimo -- 11 fouls, including 1 on the break, in 111 games at the table (a rate of 1 foul for every 10.1 games at the table)​
Total -- 24 fouls in 138 games (1 per 5.8 games)​

Missed shots (est.):
Styer -- 41 misses in 122 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 3.0 games at the table)​
Geronimo -- 28 misses in 111 games at the table (a rate of 1 for every 4.0 games at the table)​
Total -- 69 misses in 138 games (1 per 2.0 games)​

Run-outs from first shot after break:
By Styer after his own successful break -- 27 of 69 (39%)​
By Styer after Geronimo's failed break -- 9 of 13 (69%)​
By Styer, total -- 36 of 82 (44%)​
By Geronimo after his own successful break -- 16 of 50 (32%)​
By Geronimo after Styer's failed break -- 3 of 6 (50%)​
By Geronimo, total -- 19 of 56 (34%)​
Total for Styer and Geronimo -- 55 of 138 (40%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Styer's break:
By Styer -- 27 of 69 (39%)​
By Geronimo -- 3 of 6 (50%)​
Total -- 30 of 75 (40%)​

Run-outs from first shot after Geronimo's break:
By Geronimo -- 16 of 50 (32%)​
By Styer -- 9 of 13 (69%)​
Total -- 25 of 63 (40%)​

Balls Pocketed
Styer -- 134 on the break, 604 not on the break, 738 in total​
Geronimo -- 88 on the break, 534 not on the break, 622 in total​
[Excludes balls pocketed in two games broken by Geronimo when the stream was down. Includes balls pocketed on breaking fouls (none by Styer and 1 by Geronimo) and on fouls after the break (3 by Styer and 1 by Geronimo).]​

Average number of balls made on the break:
Styer -- 1.8 on all breaks, 1.9 on successful breaks​
Geronimo -- 1.4 on all breaks, 1.8 on successful breaks​
Total -- 1.6 on all breaks, 1.9 on successful breaks​

Break-and-run packages
Styer's 27 B&R games consisted of 6 2-packs and 15 singles.​
Geronimo's 16 B&R games consisted of 3 2-packs and 10 singles.​
Neither player broke and ran more than 2 games in a row.​

Games with 1 or more safeties (est.)
41% of all games and 59% of games that were not B&Rs​

Number of innings (excludes 2 games when the stream was down)
56% (76 of 136) of the games ended in one inning -- 43 games on the breaker's first inning (B&R games) and 33 games on the non-breaker's first inning​
34% (46 of 136) of the games ended in the second or third inning.​
10% (14 of 136) of the games went beyond the non-breaker's third visit to the table, with the longest game ending on the non-breaker's 9th visit.​

Distribution of consecutive game wins, i.e. winning streaks. Counts are given for Styer first, then Geronimo, then the total.
1 game -- 11 times, 11 times, 22 times​
2 games -- 10, 8, 18​
3 games -- 1, 5, 6​
4 games -- 4, 1, 5​
5 games -- 0, 1, 1​
6 games -- 1, 2, 3​
7 games -- 1, 0, 1​
12 games -- 1, 0, 1​

10-balls on the break -- None.

Match length -- Approximately 17 hours, for an average of 7.4 minutes per game. This includes racking and brief timeouts.

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I love this stuff. Do you have some automated way to collect data or do you just love sweating pool 24/7?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw Tyler working on his break a few years ago…he was killing them….so a 92% success doesn’t surprise me…
…but at 10-ball on 4.25 pockets, I’m surprised. 😳
If Tyler learns to relax a bit and smile, we got a world champ in the making.

thanx, AtLarge
The 92% surprises me given that they did not use a racking template. I'm not sure, but I think all of the past challenge matches I have tracked where the successful-break rate was near 90% were with a template. With rack your own, Styer certainly has it down now even with a triangle.

But I do not like the consistency of the resulting patterns when they are allowed to pattern rack. Styer racked the same way almost every time (and Geronimo wasn't much different). One or both of the balls behind the 1-ball went to the side pockets nearly every time, with the 1-ball going up near a head corner pocket. And, of course, several other balls are good candidates, including the back corner balls (4 rails) and the second balls in the back row (banking to the head corners). I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see an experiment with pro players racking the 10-ball on the spot. Maybe that would be figured out to the same degree as the current 10-Ball rack, but maybe not.

Regardless of all that, it was neat to see Tyler be 10 games behind after 68 games and then win 22 more than his opponent the rest of the way to win the match by 12. Nice going Tyler!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Tyler working on his break a few years ago…he was killing them….so a 92% success doesn’t surprise me…
…but at 10-ball on 4.25 pockets, I’m surprised. 😳
If Tyler learns to relax a bit and smile, we got a world champ in the making.

thanx, AtLarge
Second best break to SVB and hes a good guy too!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i missed the bulk of the match but i did see styer make 3, 4, 5 balls on the break several times. the guy has a 840 fargo break (and too often a 740 fargo play but that's another matter).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i missed the bulk of the match but i did see styer make 3, 4, 5 balls on the break several times. the guy has a 840 fargo break (and too often a 740 fargo play but that's another matter).
Here's the distribution of the number of balls Styer made on the break:

0 balls -- 6 times​
1 ball -- 24 times​
2 balls -- 28 times​
3 balls -- 12 times​
4 balls -- 4 times​

That's for the 74 breaks of his that I saw; no 5's. I did not see one of his breaks because the stream was down. A later commentator comment indicated that it was a successful break.

[The commentator said Styer had made 5 balls on the break for Game 113, but it was 4.]

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
On the last day, after TS broke, he was just shooting drills to run out game after game.
Almost always had a shot at the 1 ball.
Almost 40% BandR is almost indefensible.