Stolen cue

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
"Possession is 9/10ths of the law." One choice in life is whether to observe all formalities, or, as they say in the woods around here, "let the rough ends drag". Most of us, in most situations, choose the latter. It is simply the easier way to go until something goes wrong and stuff hits the fan. Getting burned in such situations is the tax we pay for choosing the easier path. If you cannot go this way, put a lawyer on retainer, or go to law school and diy. If the cue represents more money than you can tolerate losing, don't do it. Even if you had taken legal steps to protect yourself, the cost of enforcing the rights you formally secured will likely eclipse the value of the cue.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
grieving family or not if they wont help you, screw them, and take all remedies possible to get what is rightfully yours back from them or whomever they gave or sold it to.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Another of life's lessons: "Hindsight is 20/20." Even though I am very nearsighted, it took me a while to fully understand all aspects of this concept. Life teaches us to diligently exercise foresight so as to avoid unpleasant surprises.

So now to the instant dilemma. Already out a cue, would it be prudent to pay $1000 to $3000 to throw a 50/50 roll on the other guy's table? (Estate jurisdiction is the decedent's place of residence.) No reason to attempt improving on Kenny Roger's sage advice: "gotta know when to hold them and when to fold them". A mistake was made here, and mistakes have consequences. If this is the worst one ever encounters, one can count themselves way ahead.

I do not get the sense that the dead friend was out to steal. Much solace can be found in this fact. There are some really bad actors out there who either steal or plan to steal 24/7. These folks come in all shapes and sizes, so constant vigilance is advisable. Then there is a whole different type of degenerate who does not initially set out to get you, but, presented with an opportunity, will pour the coals to you without restraint. (Divorce courts overflow with examples of this variety.)

Bottom line is this world is filled with a wide assortment of despicable sorts. The sooner one learns to recognize and protect from such the better. On the other hand, there are some beautifully unselfish folks out there who will, or are willing to, take less than they are entitled just to make sure that the other guy gets what he has coming. I thank God for every one of these folks I encounter. Takes all kinds.

Last edited:

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you know your friends name. Find out if his estate is going through probate (check the websites for the probate courts in the county you think he was living in). It is likely to be if he has real property in the State of Texas. In which case, the executor of the estate has to make a public announcement (normally in a local paper of sorts) that anyone that has a claim against the estate come forth. If you catch it fast enough (we are talking months not weeks here), you can make a claim against the estate for the cue with the probate court. They might just hand over the cue to you to keep you from dragging the probate process out in regards to fully settling the estate. There is a bit of legal work to be done, so find an lawyer to write a letter for you. Please note. I am not a lawyer, just someone who has been involved with probating a few estates here in Texas.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
grieving family or not if they wont help you, screw them, and take all remedies possible to get what is rightfully yours back from them or whomever they gave or sold it to.
WTF? Without paperwork HOW THE FK is the family to know(or care) where a fkng cuestick came from? they gave it away most likely. bad deal but this thing is gone. move on.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Liquidated claims (debts, open accounts, credit cards) can simply be "probated". HOWEVER, claims which are subject to dispute ("unliquidated") cannot be simply "probated" and must be asserted and established in a suit against the executor. The process will probably vary from state to state.

Sayunflo2009

Registered
The pictures are from cornerstone... Why would showing pictures ripped from the internet be enough to make someone hand-over a cue?

Call the local police; make sure you have your bill of sale from Grassley. ;)

Honestly, this story, so far, stinks like sh*t, and it seems more likely that scamming methods have hit an all-time-low.
They are pics from cornerstone. I have a video when I got it. It was easier for me to post the pics I had from Bill.

Sayunflo2009

Registered
How long ago are we talking about?

I don’t know that I would consider this cue “stolen”. the family is simply trying to deal with a difficult situation and part of that is settling the estate.

It sounds to me as if your recourse would be to simply enter a claim against the estate for the return of your property.
I’m waiting for them to start an estate so I can try to get it back. I just wanted to let them know he has my cue so they don’t sell it or even toss it in the trash. Sometimes people don’t know what they have.

Sayunflo2009

Registered
forget what they said. if you have proof you owned it and text messages claiming that from the dead guy you are entitled to it and owuld win in court.

and no way is it scummy to try and get what you own back from whoever has it.

at this point it is a civil case so no cops will get involved. except if you know one who will mediate it for you.
I have all that. Thanks for understanding. He died almost a year ago.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it isnt part of the estate as you own it and whomever has possession has YOUR cue.