Story on how to learn

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it just seemed like there was some negative history there and I thought you knew he was referring to you.

I suspected.

And you are correct, there is, unfortunately, some negative history. I dont think much of the SPF/PBIA "Mother Drills" that are supposedly the Holy Grail of pool drills. I guess that doesnt sit too well with alot of those instructors. But for the life of me I have no idea why anyone thinks rolling balls down the table is going to help your improve you game.

I received PMs back in the day that the Mother Drills were a joke but I went ahead with the lesson. Learned a little, even asked him to come back a time or two but dont guess he wants too.

r/DCP

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspected.

And you are correct, there is, unfortunately, some negative history. I dont think much of the SPF/PBIA "Mother Drills" that are supposedly the Holy Grail of pool drills. I guess that doesnt sit too well with alot of those instructors. But for the life of me I have no idea why anyone thinks rolling balls down the table is going to help you improve you game.

I received PMs back in the day that the Mother Drills were a joke but I went ahead with the lesson. Learned a little, even asked him to come back a time or two but dont guess he wants too.

r/DCP
I think most people can learn at least something from just about any drill, if they are paying attention. I'm not even sure what the mother drills are but I could probably learn something. I'm busy learning other things for now. :)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike? Mike who?

And whoever this Mike guy is I sure hope and pray he doesnt pay any attention to that article because that is nothing more than a big crock of horse manure. Anybody that buys that article needs their head examined.

r/DCP
...and therein lies the problem. Mike's had "pool lessons" from a few instructors (me among them), and a couple of pros over that last 20 yrs. My time with him was 1/2 day some 15+ years ago, and he's been complaining ever since that he 'just doesn't get it'. Even his brother, who really does 'get it', says it's useless for him to continue, because he won't do what works for almost everybody else! His same posting style hasn't changed at all in all that time here...and many other posters are completely aware. Case Closed

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspected.

And you are correct, there is, unfortunately, some negative history. I dont think much of the SPF/PBIA "Mother Drills" that are supposedly the Holy Grail of pool drills. I guess that doesnt sit too well with alot of those instructors. But for the life of me I have no idea why anyone thinks rolling balls down the table is going to help you improve you game.

r/DCP
Mike...You keep beating a dead horse. I told you then, and have told you repeatedly to post even ONE of those 'negative' PM's regarding the MD's...because either they don't exist, or they were from someone who had no direct experience with the Mother Drills. As far as returning to your house, like your own brother told me, "Scott, you'd have to have a hole in your head to even want to work with Mike again, especially after how he's badmouthed you on AzB! He simply won't listen to you, and won't do what you tell him." I almost succumbed a few years ago, because in reality I really do try to help anyone who struggles with their stroke/game. Fortunately, after a quick text to your brother, I came to my senses...and drove on by!

Scott Lee

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it just seemed like there was some negative history there and I thought you knew he was referring to you.
Dan, I bet that most of the anonymous posters here would be plenty embarrassed to post under their real names after some of the stuff they've written. That's the so-called beauty of anonymity. You can be a real jerk and not care.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and drove on by!
Scott Lee

You mean you drove right past my house and didnt stop? Why didnt you let me know you were in the area? I would have had you stop by for about an hour and take a look and see if you could help me with anything.

Let me know next time. Just give me some advance notice though, like a day or two.

r/DCP

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan, I bet that most of the anonymous posters here would be plenty embarrassed to post under their real names after some of the stuff they've written. That's the so-called beauty of anonymity. You can be a real jerk and not care.
It took me a few (OK a lot of) years to realize that I shouldn't write things online that I wouldn't say to someone face to face or on the phone. It's really easy to be a jerk when you are simply replying to words on a screen. I don't know if it is a moral issue, a matter of self-respect or what exactly, but it just seems like a good rule to live by, at least for me.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Mike...You keep beating a dead horse. I told you then, and have told you repeatedly to post even ONE of those 'negative' PM's regarding the MD's...because either they don't exist, or they were from someone who had no direct experience with the Mother Drills. As far as returning to your house, like your own brother told me, "Scott, you'd have to have a hole in your head to even want to work with Mike again, especially after how he's badmouthed you on AzB! He simply won't listen to you, and won't do what you tell him." I almost succumbed a few years ago, because in reality I really do try to help anyone who struggles with their stroke/game. Fortunately, after a quick text to your brother, I came to my senses...and drove on by!

Scott Lee
I heard the exact same thing. His brother seems quite a bit wiser.