Straight Pool in Norfolk

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sat down this afternoon about 12:30 too watch the Duel and Appleton match. at 2:40 it was over. Won't get into who won and all but too say
I saw the craziest call by a ref I had ever seen in all my years. Duel was with in moping up the match the rack had just been broken and there was a dead combo
that Duel made on the 8 ball. The cue ball clipped a couple of balls and dived into the corner. Appleton gets ball in hand with all the balls spread out
and at that point he is needing around 40 to win the match. Then the ref shows up and calls a foul on Duel and says Duel has to forfeit 15 balls and then break the balls again because of unsportsmanlike conduct. Ref said Corry let a ball hit his cue while he watched the cue ball scratch. Just don't get it, Appleton had the table wide open and ball in hand because of a scratch and then the ref calls the foul on Corry and takes away Appleton's chance at the table. I don't think Corry even knew that he had made a foul other than the scratch that had occurred . Maybe someone else that witnessed this can chime in and tell me what I have missed on this.
Too add, both were really struggling in this match, I don't think I witnessed a run of over 30 by either player and both played many safeties
but there were some remarkable shots made and along with that, many easy ones missed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is some discussion of this in the Pagulayan/de Luna thread in this forum. You can view the stream on YouTube (at least for a while).

Corey did not touch the 7 ball when he dropped/slapped his stick on the table.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. It would never have occurred to me after selling out with a scratch, to slap down my stick and then accept the 15 point penalty, since having to re-break would obviously be better than leaving my opponent with BIH & a wide open table!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow. It would never have occurred to me after selling out with a scratch, to slap down my stick and then accept the 15 point penalty, since having to re-break would obviously be better than leaving my opponent with BIH & a wide open table!
But there is no specified penalty for slapping the table with your stick. Usually people just shrug and continue the game.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was pulling for Duel in that match, and he won, but the refs action might have been the straw breaking the camels back helping
him along. Yes Appleton got back too the table and missed a key break shot, but too have a completely open table taken away
at a key moment of the game , was more than just a mistake by the ref, it was lunacy. Appleton slammed his cue down so had I thought
it had cracked the screen on my viewer at home, and the ref just stared at him, maybe after the re-breaking of the balls by Duel, Appleton should have been required too break again afterwards,,What A Mess

Last edited: