Strange Coincidence?

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
I'm not into Astrology but I saw this on Twitter and it struck me as odd. Three of the greatest players EVER all born so close together? Very intriguing ...

November 3 – Ralph Greenleaf
November 4 – Jim Rempe
November 5 – Luther Lassiter

Things that make you go mmmmmmmm....:scratchhead:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I'm not into Astrology but I saw this on Twitter and it struck me as odd. Three of the greatest players EVER all born so close together? Very intriguing ...

November 4 – Jim Rempe

Is your birthday on the 2nd or the 6th?

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Things that make me go, 1 in 12 chance of being born in the same month, 1 in 30 chance being born on the same day.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was born 11/19!

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Three of the all-timers of golf: Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson -- all born in 1912.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Being born late in the year is a disadvantage academically and in most sports.
Fortunately, it doesn't affect pool players.

Last edited:

November 4 – Jim Rempe

Intriguing? Lassiter was born 19 years after Greenleaf and Rempe was born 29 years after Lassiter. There is nothing intriguing or coincidental about these birthdates. They were not born "close together".

ONB

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Intriguing? Lassiter was born 19 years after Greenleaf and Rempe was born 29 years after Lassiter. There is nothing intriguing or coincidental about these birthdates. They were not born "close together".

ONB

In that case due to leap years they were actually all born on the same day!!!

(Okay, not really...)

JC

Coos Cues
List any 30 professional pool players randomly and it's a 98+% chance that two of them share a birthday.

JC

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's "The Birthday Problem." With 30 people, the probability that at least two of them will share the same birthday is about 71%. To get to 98%, you need 53 people.

http://www.pleacher.com/mp/mlessons/stat/birthday.html

I believe at 23, you're even money.
I won a few bets on this getting 40...I always won by 23.

The biggest bet was double or nothing on $600 I was up.
...out on the street with a third party with a clipboard....
....about every fourth person, especially females, told him to f..... off.

number 2 and 23 matched

JC

Coos Cues
You may want to consult this: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...\u005f30&a=*FVarOpt-_**BirthdayProblem.pbds--

It's a little over a 70% chance that two have the same birthday.

ONB

So would you like to list 30 random pool players and wager with me that they won't?

I actually read about this many years ago when I was in high school. Long before you could "app" it up on your phone. I hadn't thought about it since until reading this thread. My stats were off but i'll still take the bet as a 7-3 favorite

JC

Last edited: