Strange Coincidence?

So would you like to list 30 random pool players and wager with me that they won't?

I actually read about this many years ago when I was in high school. Long before you could "app" it up on your phone. I hadn't thought about it since until reading this thread. My stats were off but i'll still take the bet as a 7-3 favorite

JC

If I listed 30 "random" poolplayers they wouldn't be "random", would they?
Your stats were off. By almost 21 percent.

You wrote:

List any 30 professional pool players randomly and it's a 98+% chance that two of them share a birthday.

What will the bet be? Write it and word it here and if you word it to say that 30 players guarantees a 98% chance of two having the same birthday I will bet. I don't argue with mathematicians.

ONB

JC

Coos Cues
If I listed 30 "random" poolplayers they wouldn't be "random", would they?
Your stats were off. By almost 21 percent.

You wrote:

List any 30 professional pool players randomly and it's a 98+% chance that two of them share a birthday.

What will the bet be? Write it and word it here and if you word it to say that 30 players guarantees a 98% chance of two having the same birthday I will bet. I don't argue with mathematicians.

ONB

Everyone becomes a genius nowadays after a few clicks of the mouse don't they?

The bet could be that you're annoying and we could settle it with a poll here.

JC

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
Once again, a harmless thread turns ugly.....and you wonder why so many people get turned off by these forums and stop posting :(

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JC

Yes, that is a very safe bet to make at a party, or a bar with at least 30 people in it ! (don't believe its 98% though)...The other thing is, you need to bet a bunch, because the guy you're betting with, is going to want to check ID's !...And its also a pretty safe bet, if it happens to be two woman with the same BD, one (or both) of them, won't want to show their ID ! :rolleyes:..........They may be too old, too young, or they may just think you're a pervert ! :eek:

PS..You still have way the best of it, with only 25 people. ;)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Once again, a harmless thread turns ugly.....and you wonder why so many people get turned off by these forums and stop posting :(

It's not so bad, David....sometimes a thread catches a life of its own.....
....and sometimes it even gets back on track.

Everyone becomes a genius nowadays after a few clicks of the mouse don't they?

The bet could be that you're annoying and we could settle it with a poll here.

JC

I list the proper odds and give a method to confirm it and you want to bet me I'm wrong and I'm annoying? Yes, you are a victim.

P.S. I read it in a book, I didn't click a mouse to learn it.

ONB

JC

Yes, that is a very safe bet to make at a party, or a bar with at least 30 people in it ! (don't believe its 98% though)...The other thing is, you need to bet a bunch, because the guy you're betting with, is going to want to check ID's !...And its also a pretty safe bet, if it happens to be two woman with the same BD, one (or both) of them, won't want to show their ID ! :rolleyes:..........They may be too old, too young, or they may just think you're a pervert ! :eek:

PS..You still have way the best of it, with only 25 people. ;)

It's not 98% with 30 people, it's a little over 70%.

Here's a handy-dandy calculator for obtaining the odds easily. As you can see 25 people gets you an almost 57% chance that 2 have the same b-Day.

ONB

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...m.n_25&f3=365&f=BirthdayProblem.pbds\u005f365

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting

There are really a bunch of interesting coincidences in the world we share, this may be one of them. Can we attribute any hand of providence to this, or is it just some thing that is bound to happen with all the billions of people who have had birthdays? It may explain why my game sucks as I was born in the summer. But, it may also be similar to missing the intended shot in 9 Ball and slopping another ball in, crap happens. Either way I long ago decided not to be superstitious, it's bad luck!

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Monroeville, Alabama, population about 6,500, Truman Capote lived next door to Harper Lee.
Harper Lee wrote To Kill A Mockingbird.
Truman Capote wrote In Cold Blood.
Neither wrote anything significant after these two books.
Both books became movies.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I list the proper odds and give a method to confirm it and you want to bet me I'm wrong and I'm annoying? Yes, you are a victim.

P.S. I read it in a book, I didn't click a mouse to learn it.

ONB

I didn't want to bet that your wrong for Christ sakes I already said that my numbers were off.

I think your illogical persistence about it shows clearly my second point.

JC