Strategy oriented books?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I have been looking for strategy oriented books on pool. It seems any book I get teaches you as if you never have seen a pool cue, meaning they all go over the same basics for a large portion of the book. I am looking for a more specific book to strategy. Things like safeties, offense/defense shots, dealing with different types of players and the like. My search so far hasn't found anything, but I did see something here: http://www.amazon.com/Art-War-versus-Pool/dp/097934543X that looked interesting. (anyone have an opinion on this book?)

I am mainly interested in 8 ball and straight pool, but really would read a book with strategy on any pool game.

Once I get a table I am sure I will get into one pocket, so I am sure that will help with strategics right there.

Banks

Banned
There are a few threads on helpful books.. if I remember, Play Your Best 8-Ball and 8-Ball Bible are both good.

You need to lock people up tight, while positioning your set or locking up their set without a reasonable breakout..

You've gotta know when to hold em..
Know when to fold em..

You get the idea.

Here's a little of my 8-ball strategy:

1) Practice defenses.. you don't want to be unprepared when the opportunity presents itself. (Keep them simple, but effective.)
1a) IE - If you practice locking up a ball with theirs on the rail, practice playing it out - it's much harder than it sounds and you'll learn a lot.
1b) Locking up the CB with one of their own balls is a mean, mean play.

2) Don't move things around unless you're in deep @#$% or have a plan. It's much easier to figure out what to do when the table isn't changing every shot and locking your set up can hurt(a lot).

3) If you can't win.. make sure they can't either.
3a) If you're giving up the table, give yourself the best chance at getting back to it.

4) Getting beaten by a great shot is not a bad thing. It happens.. but it won't happen often. Congratulate them and see if they're so willing to shoot at it the next game.

5) Play some bar pool. 2-way shots are your friend.

6) Watch all players, because even bad players can make great moves even if not on purpose.

That's some of my 8b.. the books will show you more in-depth strategy, but those are what I like to stick with.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 Ball Bible is a great 8 ball book. I can't remeber the author I will edit when I remeber

champ2107

Banned
there are so many pro 8 ball videos on youtube with good commentary as well, dont just watch the matches, dissect them and learn.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Book

How Would You Play This? By George Fels

This is a great book, it is simple and to the point, shows table lay outs and challenges you to figure out the out? The next pages gives the best way and allows you to compare your way to the writers choice.

No matter your level, there plenty in this book to think about, it cover 8 Ball, 9 Ball and straight Pool...., its a cant miss.

Richard Kapela

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an oldie but a goodie: Daly's Billiard Book. It actually covers carom billiards, but it will show you a lot about how to work several balls in close proximity. And not just one shot, but a series of shots. If you can master the concepts in this book, your safety game will take a huge leap.

Originally written in 1913, it was reprinted at least 6 times in hardcover, plus there are softcover reprints by Dover and Coles. There's almost always at least one copy on e-bay or Amazon. If you want to preview it first: http://books.google.com/books?id=8q...EwAA#v=onepage&q=daly's billiard book&f=false

thrash attack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How Would You Play This? By George Fels

This is a great book, it is simple and to the point, shows table lay outs and challenges you to figure out the out? The next pages gives the best way and allows you to compare your way to the writers choice.

No matter your level, there plenty in this book to think about, it cover 8 Ball, 9 Ball and straight Pool...., its a cant miss.

Are there any other books like this?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Art of War is not pool related at all. Its a famous Chinese Philosophy that can be used in many areas.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Advanced Pool

by George Fels. I just bought one for my friend off Amazon used for $8.38 shipped. New ones are way too expensive at around $55. Starts with straight pool, then 8 ball then 9 ball.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phil Capelle goes into good detail on strategy of 8-ball and 9-ball in his more general book, "Play Your Best Pool". It's a great all around book. I can't even imagine how in-depth he goes when he devotes a whole book to one game.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
by George Fels. I just bought one for my friend off Amazon used for $8.38 shipped. New ones are way too expensive at around $55. Starts with straight pool, then 8 ball then 9 ball.

Is that an Amazon quote at $55? Amazon gets a bit nuts on new/first editions. Laughable!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Any of Capelle's books are great for strategy. They are not about how to use a pool cue properly but about learning how to play the game(s).

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Robert Byrne's books have technique AND strategy. He doesn't spend a whole lot of time on basics. He digs deep into the 'inner' game. George Fels is also a very good author for tactics, not so much for technique.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've had this book for about 10 years. It's the best pool book I've ever read.

Brian in VA