Stroke Critique Please

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have started shooting again about 8 months ago after a long lay off of about 8 years. I've been shooting off and on since 1965.

I have 2 artificial shoulders and the right side still needs some more work (rotator cuff tear) so my arm doesn't swing without some pain.

Any way I videoed myself from 2 angles to check out my stroke and posted on Youtube.

It looks to me that I am fairly level but I see a shoulder drop. It is that normal?

I also see some sideways movement in the straight on video. What would I do to correct this?

I've never posted a link before so if this doesn't work please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpCC...DvjVQa1PpcFNQIko5oWDBS1Hzva4qjM4EULUiQaluvvM=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qL9...DvjVQa1PpcFNQIko5oWDBS7H5AFE6Z06TO6gqG26Dtck=

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy...It is evident from looking at your videos (good job, btw), that your cue does not move in a straight line, but veers off to the left. The "steering" of your cue can be due to grip and/or shoulder. The rotator cuff is not involved in a pure pendulum swing. Yours is close, but you involve the shouldler at the last minute. Try this...let your right arm hang limp at your side, while you're standing up. Now move your right hand to your shoulder, using only your forearm. You can see that the shoulder isn't involved to do this movement...you are merely swinging your arm, from the elbow down. This swing can be done very slowly (lag speed), or very fast (break speed)...but everything should stay relaxed. Bend over like you're shooting, and do this swing over and over, at different speeds. I like your swing...just finish it to your chest, and try not to move the elbow or shoulder. Your grip looks nice and loose, but you were only shooting very soft shots too. Tightening up on higher speed shots is a problem for many players (even though it isn't necessary). Hope this helps!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

smahalko

Hammer Time!
Silver Member
Looks like your holding the cue ( right hand ) with only the thumb and forefinger in a pincer kind of way.
I would think that holding the cue where your hand is closed when you stroke forward and opens up on the back stroke.
It may also work out the slight off angle when stroking toward the OB.

Seems like you might also get a better idea of your true stroke if you were trying to pocket a ball too.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
1. You can put more weight on your bridge hand to stabilize yourself.

Neil:

This is awesome advice...I started doing this recently, made a BIG difference in my staying still (eliminating all the micro movements, head movement, etc.). Really put me in stroke, too. :D

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor.

I noticed a couple of things (from the frontal position)

1. Your grip may be too lose. Try this, when at cue ball address (cue tip almost touching the cue ball) your hand should be gently closed. As you bring the cue back your hand should begin to open. The reason for this, at cue ball contact your hand should be very gently closed. The hand actually starts to close when you begin the forward stroke.

2. Your grip hand is all over the place when performing practice strokes.
Your grip hand and bridge should be perfect alignment with the shot line. Try this, pretend that you are shooting the ball in with your grip hand (you will have to pick a point on your grip hand to use as an aiming device, try using the "V" or your index finger second knuckle). This should get you straightened up.

I know what your going thru. I started playing back in 1963 (off and on)
I quit playing about 10 years ago and now I'm trying to get back to where I use to be.

I cant believe the wife stuck you and table in the garage. That is not good for the table or the balls.

I have a table in my man cave and practice every day.

Hang in there

John

Last edited:

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like I've got some good things to concentrate on.

As far as the table being in the garage, since I'm in Hawaii it's pretty much the same indoors or outdoors :smile: windows and lanai doors are open all the time. and unfortunately the 9 footer wouldn't fit in the house

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy, my concern is more with your back hand grip than anything else. I would like to suggest that you wrap your whole hand around the cue and then relax it so it's not squeezing too tightly.

You won't be able to keep the cue straight for every shot the way you are currently gripping it with the tips of your front two fingers. Also, a better video of you would be you actually moving around the table shooting shots.