stroke update

pleforowicz

Registered
Hello again,

a few weeks have passed, so I decided to make an update on my stroke. Did I make any progress?

Please note I played with a club cue which is way shorter than mine (out of order), so I normally hold the cuestick a little closer. No 'grip-too-far-back' advice was ignored.

Feel free to critique my stroke as I finally want to stop dealing with inconsistency in this game. King regards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvil4D6xn0

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello again,

a few weeks have passed, so I decided to make an update on my stroke. Did I make any progress?

Please note I played with a club cue which is way shorter than mine (out of order), so I normally hold the cuestick a little closer. No 'grip-too-far-back' advice was ignored.

Feel free to critique my stroke as I finally want to stop dealing with inconsistency in this game. King regards.

Couple suggestions:

1. You're not stroking *through* the cue ball. You seem to be "chopping" your stroke very soon after contact with the cue ball. (A good example is when you shoot the 1-ball at the beginning -- you almost "check swing" [as we say in American baseball] right after contact with the cue ball.) Don't be skittish about hitting the cue ball -- hit that sucker! Stroke *through* it. Let the cue come to its own natural stop -- don't involve any muscles to "stop" the cue's motion.

2. Another example is your breakshot -- you hit the cue ball as if it had germs and you didn't want to get infected (notice how you flinch upwards backwards even before you made contact with the cue ball). Stay down after contact, and view the results from that position. It's easier to troubleshoot aiming and stroke mechanic problems from "down there" than it is from "up there" in a standing position.

3. As an aside, when you play the ghost, you must let all balls complete motion (come to a complete stop) before picking up the cue ball. You picked the cue ball up while it was still in motion, and the 5-ball was on a dead caroming path towards the cue ball. By removing the cue ball prematurely, you affected the final position of the 5-ball on the table.

4. When you missed the 2-ball, you were too "tentative" about shooting that shot. Shoot it like you mean it! Yes, you can "mean it" and still hit the ball gently for subsequent shot position. Maybe you were nervous because you know you were being recorded?

5. You might want to try different variations of your grip. It looks like a tea-cup-handle grip, with only the thumb and a single finger. You'll want a more substantial grip that doesn't allow the fingers to flay around, which otherwise allows the cue to wobble around as well. "Substantial," by the way, doesn't mean a firm or stranglehold grip on the cue. Rather, it means that the fingers support each other and keep each other in place, and doesn't allow them to flay around loosely. You can have more fingers wrapped around the cue, yet still allow the cue to rest gently in there, in the cradle.

6. The dreaded "grabby grabbies" -- i.e. the forced opening and closing of the hand as you deliver the cue. Try experimenting with just resting the cue on the pads of your fingers, and keeping the hand still throughout your stroke. Try not to open/close your hand as much. Remember, the hand is an asymmetric device -- it's not symmetrical -- and the act of opening/closing the fingers goes in one direction -- away from and towards the palm respectively. This has a tendency to put a little bit of a "hook" in your stroke, slightly pulling the butt of the cue either away from or towards your body. By keeping your fingers as still as possible, and just form a "cage" that the cue rests on the bottom of, you have a solid platform that stays constant throughout the stroke.

Hope this is helpful!
-Sean

Last edited:

pleforowicz

Registered
thank you for the insightful posts and suggestions. I will keep them in mind. As for 9ball ghost rack, i wanted firstly try to complete the rack, but then decided to just shoot from specific positions. Of course I could have recorded a good attempt at running hot and controlling CB better but i think this not the case. But yes, i can do better on positional play now, camera's presence might have been the cause, too.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I only have two suggestions for now.

1. Stay Down through the entire shot : Work on staying down until the object ball goes in the hole.

2. Freeze at end of the shot and stay in this position till the balls stop rolling.

While you freeze evaluate your tip, and hand position.

I don't recall what you looked like at the beginning of this process.

You actually started to stay down better later in the rack.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello again,

Give this a try.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGTabuqWIZc

It will seem awkward at first but stay with it. This is the stroke. You will have to do this many hundreds of times to get rid of what you have learned in the past.

I do this everyday (at least 30 balls), only I do it the length of the table rather than side to side.

I also agree with what has been mentioned above. No need to repeat.

The mechanics of the stroke can be explained here:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=319194&page=18

Post #260

You seem very determined, so hang in there.

John :)

Last edited:

pleforowicz

Registered
thank you for your tips. And yes, i've been determined since April but that's what the result is when you start playing pool seriously at the age of 26 instead of 16.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Some will tell you to work on your stroke mechanics & certainly one needs to be able to hit the cue ball where one intends.

That being said, I would suggest that you learn every aspect of what the ball does & causes when it is hit not on center, that is, with side spin, english, whether unintended or intended.

You need to know what the effects are all around the clock from 12:01 to 11:59 & for three(3) & even four(4) tips out from center.

You need to know & understand collision induced throw, & spin induced throw.

You need to know what cue ball squirt & swerve are & how to use them.

You need a very good method of 'aim' or alignment.

Some will say work on the stroke mechanics first because all of those other things mean nothing without a good repeatable stroke. And while that is true, the reverse is also true. So, I say work on as many as you can on an ongoing basis.

I, CJ Wiley & others have made a conscious decision to not play by attempting to hit the center of the cue ball. We have a plan for a hit to one side or the other of the center of the cue ball.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Journey Regardless of the Final Destination,
Rick

Last edited: