stroking straight question

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, back to this, you are saying that when you slow down the back and forth speed of your cue that it works better than using a faster back and forth speed? My experience is mostly the opposite, where if I go real slow I can see some wobble in my cue that is distracting to say the least. I have tried moving it real slow to try to make it smooth but can't seem to make that happen even by trying to force it, which tightens up my arm, which can't be a good thing.

I may well have some sort of body mechanics abnormality in my right arm that is having that effect. I am probably lucky that I shoot right handed due to the broken elbow and collar bone on the left side (from bicycle wrecks).

If I speed it up enough I no longer see any wobble, even tho it might still be there. The address of the ball looks correct and the CB does what it is supposed to and it all feels right. That said, I am pretty sure my stoke speed is still slower than many and I know it is slower than it had been prior to me re-engineering my stroke.

I spent a lot of time watching pros playing tournaments, online lessons and reading books and tried a few different approaches (pause just before the shot, don't pause before the shot and different styles) and ended up with very little pause and a somewhat shorter stroke. I understand the reasoning behind it but the longer pause at the end of the last back swing did not work well for me at all, causing the shot to veer.

I don't know but would suspect that there is no magic stroking speed that is right for everyone and that each player needs to find out what works for them. The results should tell you something.
Pool is a hand-eye coordination sport. At some point most players will move their eyes from the cue ball to the object ball, either before or during the final stroke. If you are a player who does that, then stroking too quickly usually isn't enough time for your eyes to settle on your final target. What happens then is that you are shooting blind. Also, you've probably heard of a poke stroke. That's pretty much the stroke you are describing -- quick back and quick forward and bad timing.

I call the backstroke the hand-eye coordinator. As with any hand-eye coordination sport, it's your wind up --- whether you're about to throw a punch or hit a golf ball or a tennis ball --- the backstroke is at your own tempo that buys you the necessary amount of time to coordinate your motion with your eyes. With well coordinated players, you will see that their takeaway is pretty much the same slow speed, regardless of the forward motion, which changes, depending on what is needed for the shot.

There are some players who don't or can't seem to take a slow backstroke. It just doesn't work for them. They go on automatic pilot once they start to stroke and their subconscious mind takes over. If that's the case, then it's recommended that those players take a longer pause at the end of their back strokes. Again, it buys them the necessary time to coordinate their eyes with their movement.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Pool is a hand-eye coordination sport. At some point most players will move their eyes from the cue ball to the object ball, either before or during the final stroke. If you are a player who does that, then stroking too quickly usually isn't enough time for your eyes to settle on their final target. What happens then is that you are shooting blind. Also, you've probably heard of a poke stroke. That's pretty much the stroke you are describing -- quick back and quick forward and bad timing.

I call the backstroke the hand-eye coordinator. As with any hand-eye coordination sport, it's your wind up --- whether you're about to throw a punch or hit a golf ball or a tennis ball --- the backstroke is at your own tempo that buys you the necessary amount of time to coordinate your motion with your eyes. With well coordinated players, you will see that their takeaway is pretty much the same slow speed, regardless of the forward motion, which changes, depending on what is needed for the shot.

There are some players who don't or can't seem to take a slow backstroke. It just doesn't work for them. They go on automatic pilot once they start to stroke and their subconscious mind takes over. If that's the case, then it's recommended that those players take a longer pause at the end of their back strokes. Again, it buys them the necessary time to coordinate their eyes with their movement.
Well- I ve read it two times .....-
Fran: This posting is one of the very best i have EVER read about this topic- i personally also like to describe it as you did here- but you have found (ofc just for me :) ) in this little response the perfect words.
A big "WOWSER" worth.

I am very impressed- this made my day- if not a bit more :p

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Mark Wilson adds quite a bit about what you do to align your cue correctly to the shot line and what you do with your eyes once you are down in the shooting position- the book is worth 10 times $75 if you are willing to read it, understand it, put it all into practice, review your videos constantly - I have stayed with the book for 10 months now and it has resulted in my largest game improvements by far.

I see. That's one of those oft-lauded books I've not read yet. Thank you.