stroking straight question

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i guess this is why it's so difficult to tell what technique change works and what doesn't,and if you also consider the placebo effect,it's almost like impossible unless you stick with the change for months
Yes, that's true. You have to be all in with the process or you'll never know for sure if the change is right for you. However, sometimes there are ways to shortcut it a bit, like for example, if someone knowledgeable or even someone who knows your game is watching you go through it, they may be able to tell pretty early on whether or not the change is working for you or if it suits your style. Oh the other hand, I've made changes in my own game that lasted for as long as a year before finally letting go of them.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Not a golfer but was already a pool player when I tried golf. Golf has a lot more moving parts than stroking a cue ball. If you are changing your aiming system I could see how that might cause you to miss more until you get used to it.

I am not an instructor so I'll defer to Fran for a professional answer but I can tell you that from my experience that correcting your stroke results in an immediate improvement, as long as you do it through structured practice. Stroking drills allow to you focus on just that aspect and give immediate feed back on progress. It is not nearly as complicated as a golf swing and you should quickly see steady improvement.

I would start with shooting balls one by one diagonally into the far corner pocket without using a cue ball. Orient the stripes vertically or horizontally to make sure you aren't imparting unwanted side spin. Don't get in a hurry and make every one center pocket. You are just trying to solidify the muscle memory of how it feels to do it correctly.

Then go to short straight in shots where you are pocketing balls with stop shots, making sure that the CB stops and does not move to the right or left. If you can, use the little white donuts to make sure you are setting up exactly the same shot each time. Then make the shot longer and after you are cinching the stop shots try adding a little draw to make sure the CB comes back to your cue tip, not veering left or right. If you are seeing it veering, correct that before going on.

The 50 yard line drill I use to warm up starts with all object balls lined up between the side pockets. They will fit even on a 7 ft table, with just enough space. From the head string (between the middle diamonds) start at one side, line up straight in to the far corner and shoot it in with stun. Move across the table until you get to the middle and then shoot the rest into the other far corner. If the next ball is too close to an adjacent ball I just roll it a little to get more clearance before shooting it.

Your helpful post brings something to mind - it is very hard for even a pro to focus on two skill improvement sets at once. If working on aim, don't alter your typical stroke and vice versa.

In this vein--and on the surface it may seem contradictory to my prior paragraph--but to develop an aim system or instinctual aim, the player has to commit to a straight stroke as more important than the ball sinking. Too thick or too thin? Setup the missed shot again and correct it. But how can you work on object ball aim if your stroke is twisting consciously or subconsciously to score the balls?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if you are talking about speed of the stroking or pacing.
Speed of the stroke. Mark Wilson did a test and found that amateur strokes were about twice as fast as pro's. That's starting at the beginning of the take back through contact with the cb. Whatever speed you shoot best at, you may find that you are shooting faster than that speed if things aren't going quite right. Just something to consider.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Speed of the stroke. Mark Wilson did a test and found that amateur strokes were about twice as fast as pro's. That's starting at the beginning of the take back through contact with the cb.
Not the speed of the cue at CB contact? That's what I'd call the "speed of the stroke".

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's say "the time interval it takes to execute the stroke from the time the cue starts back to the time it contacts the cb."
I'd say that is "the total time of the final stroke", understood to mean both the back stroke and the forward stroke. Some might call it the "set to finish time".

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say that is "the total time of the final stroke", understood to mean both the back stroke and the forward stroke. Some might call it the "set to finish time".
I think "speed of stroke" is also perfectly acceptable if it is used in context. I probably didn't make that
I'd also say "speed of the stroke" is more clear when taken in context. It was perfectly clear inside my head. :) I think the OP got it, too, but wasn't sure if I was talking about slowing down the cue or slowing down play (pace) overall.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think "speed of stroke" is also perfectly acceptable if it is used in context. I probably didn't make that

I'd also say "speed of the stroke" is more clear when taken in context. It was perfectly clear inside my head. :) I think the OP got it, too, but wasn't sure if I was talking about slowing down the cue or slowing down play (pace) overall.
To me and I think to most people who deal with physics-related ideas, "speed" means the miles per hour that a thing moves. I think using that word for the concept you are trying to convey even in context invites confusion. Maybe "tempo" would be a better word, but then you might hear from musicians. 😋

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To me and I think to most people who deal with physics-related ideas, "speed" means the miles per hour that a thing moves. I think using that word for the concept you are trying to convey even in context invites confusion. Maybe "tempo" would be a better word, but then you might hear from musicians. 😋
Pacing?

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK have a way even the physicists can understand: When your stroke approaches the foxtrot make sure you slow it down to more of a waltz. 😀

Reactions: bbb

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think pacing or tempo are the best words for it for the same reason I think timing also isn't the right word. I think it's stroke time -- a simple calculation of the time it takes from start to finish, calculated in measurements of time.

Things like timing, tempo and pacing are all variable, depending on the player and when he speeds up or slows down his stroke. There will be several different types of paced strokes that will take the exact same amount of time from start to finish.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i guess this is why it's so difficult to tell what technique change works and what doesn't,and if you also consider the placebo effect,it's almost like impossible unless you stick with the change for months
In my case, it did not take months to figure out that the new stroke worked better than the old one. More like a couple weeks. Like I said, a pool stroke has a lot fewer moving parts than a golf stroke and once I got familiar with how the new stroke felt it didn't take long to imprint it on my subconscious. I used the previously mentioned stroke drills as the yard stick, going from making many of the 50 yard line straight in shots to making all of them.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found over time that the main culprit for me in screwing up my stroke is speed. When I slow everything way down it goes much better. I know others here I've said that, too.
So, back to this, you are saying that when you slow down the back and forth speed of your cue that it works better than using a faster back and forth speed? My experience is mostly the opposite, where if I go real slow I can see some wobble in my cue that is distracting to say the least. I have tried moving it real slow to try to make it smooth but can't seem to make that happen even by trying to force it, which tightens up my arm, which can't be a good thing.

I may well have some sort of body mechanics abnormality in my right arm that is having that effect. I am probably lucky that I shoot right handed due to the broken elbow and collar bone on the left side (from bicycle wrecks).

If I speed it up enough I no longer see any wobble, even tho it might still be there. The address of the ball looks correct and the CB does what it is supposed to and it all feels right. That said, I am pretty sure my stoke speed is still slower than many and I know it is slower than it had been prior to me re-engineering my stroke.

I spent a lot of time watching pros playing tournaments, online lessons and reading books and tried a few different approaches (pause just before the shot, don't pause before the shot and different styles) and ended up with very little pause and a somewhat shorter stroke. I understand the reasoning behind it but the longer pause at the end of the last back swing did not work well for me at all, causing the shot to veer.

I don't know but would suspect that there is no magic stroking speed that is right for everyone and that each player needs to find out what works for them. The results should tell you something.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Three things: You must sight the shot correctly while standing and get a very good mental picture of the spot on the object ball that needs to be contacted by the CB. Next, you need to align the cue tip directly along a straight line from the CB to the OB contact point. Third, you need to deliver the cue tip straight to the CB so that it travels along the chosen line.

Mark Wilson book " Play Great Pool" will explain this in all the detail that you will ever need. It must be read, understood and practiced in private with video footage from the rear of your stroke and the video needs to be reviewed in order to assess and correct any flaws in any part of this process.

This is just one phase of playing great pool, one aspect of great play, but until this part of a game is correct, the rest does not matter much. Every great pool player in history- no matter what their stroke looks like to others; the one common denominator is that they end up each stroke somehow delivering the cue tip straight and through the cue ball most consistently to the proper point of aim on the object ball.
What would I find in the book beyond your description of "contact point aim"? I like your description. What does Mark Wilson add?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
So, back to this, you are saying that when you slow down the back and forth speed of your cue that it works better than using a faster back and forth speed? My experience is mostly the opposite, where if I go real slow I can see some wobble in my cue that is distracting to say the least. I have tried moving it real slow to try to make it smooth but can't seem to make that happen even by trying to force it, which tightens up my arm, which can't be a good thing.

I may well have some sort of body mechanics abnormality in my right arm that is having that effect. I am probably lucky that I shoot right handed due to the broken elbow and collar bone on the left side (from bicycle wrecks).

If I speed it up enough I no longer see any wobble, even tho it might still be there. The address of the ball looks correct and the CB does what it is supposed to and it all feels right. That said, I am pretty sure my stoke speed is still slower than many and I know it is slower than it had been prior to me re-engineering my stroke.

I spent a lot of time watching pros playing tournaments, online lessons and reading books and tried a few different approaches (pause just before the shot, don't pause before the shot and different styles) and ended up with very little pause and a somewhat shorter stroke. I understand the reasoning behind it but the longer pause at the end of the last back swing did not work well for me at all, causing the shot to veer.

I don't know but would suspect that there is no magic stroking speed that is right for everyone and that each player needs to find out what works for them. The results should tell you something.
I understand, but when amateurs stroke overly fast it's because they are adding conscious effort to drive or thrust the cue forward. The backswing should be smooth and "buttery", the transition paced and the acceleration for most shots will occur naturally if the backswing was long enough to begin.

One reason for quick amateur strokes--shortened backswing (not all the way back to the bridge hand) followed by thrust or jab forward, as opposed to a smoothly accelerating cue from a long backswing and return to the cue ball.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My original comment was pretty simple. Let me rephrase it: If you are having trouble then the first thing to check is whether you are rushing your stroke beyond what is normal for you. Someone said this is what Buddy Hall recommended. For me, I am sure to take the cue back slower, which leads to a slower transition. The forward movement is going to be what it has to be for that particular shot. I think Fran is a big proponent of having a good transition, which I can certainly vouch for.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would I find in the book beyond your description of "contact point aim"? I like your description. What does Mark Wilson add?
Mark Wilson adds quite a bit about what you do to align your cue correctly to the shot line and what you do with your eyes once you are down in the shooting position- the book is worth 10 times $75 if you are willing to read it, understand it, put it all into practice, review your videos constantly - I have stayed with the book for 10 months now and it has resulted in my largest game improvements by far.

Reactions: bbb