Sudden death APA Masters

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching some of the Masters APA in Vegas a couple of weeks ago a few of us got into a discussion and now I'm looking for more opinions.
The Masters is a race to seven with a combination of eight ball and nine ball. Race to seven with the winner of the lag having the choice of either taking the break or selecting which game to start with. Five games of eight ball or eight games of nine ball. Three man teams and the team that wins two matches moves on.

Well our question is regarding the situation when the match is tied at one apiece and now it goes to the third match but sudden death has been called before that match starts. This means that now it's a race to two with the lag deciding the game and who breaks.

Taking into consideration that the players are not pros but some are very good and could win some matches against the pros. Let's say you won the lag and now must decide to take the break or select what game to play in this race to two contest. I would like to hear your suggestions as to what you would pick and why. I did notice that in the races to seven that most matches started with the five games of eight ball.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching some of the Masters APA in Vegas a couple of weeks ago a few of us got into a discussion and now I'm looking for more opinions.
The Masters is a race to seven with a combination of eight ball and nine ball. Race to seven with the winner of the lag having the choice of either taking the break or selecting which game to start with. Five games of eight ball or eight games of nine ball. Three man teams and the team that wins two matches moves on.

Well our question is regarding the situation when the match is tied at one apiece and now it goes to the third match but sudden death has been called before that match starts. This means that now it's a race to two with the lag deciding the game and who breaks.

Taking into consideration that the players are not pros but some are very good and could win some matches against the pros. Let's say you won the lag and now must decide to take the break or select what game to play in this race to two contest. I would like to hear your suggestions as to what you would pick and why. I did notice that in the races to seven that most matches started with the five games of eight ball.

I would take the break. I would be sick if I picked the game and then he/she broke and ran two racks.

I think this is a horrible rule for Masters. Sudden death tied 1-1 just seems wrong to me. Need to play out the third match to find out who the best team that day was. A race to 2 just seems to be against the spirit of the format.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that also about choosing 8 ball. I also choose 8 all the time and would even in sudden death. The reason being is it is a lot harder to break and run closed break 8 ball than it is 9 ball . Also 8 ball is my best game and I am more likely to win those rather than 9.

Most players around here prefer fo play 9 ball first for some reason. Maybe one day I will ask some of them why they choose it first. I

In my only appearance in Vegas happened to have to play 2 sudden death 9 ball matches. Every ball was worth double what a regular match was.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I would take the break. I would be sick if I picked the game and then he/she broke and ran two racks.

I think this is a horrible rule for Masters. Sudden death tied 1-1 just seems wrong to me. Need to play out the third match to find out who the best team that day was. A race to 2 just seems to be against the spirit of the format.

I don’t like the idea of Sudden Death in a division that has at most 3 matches to play. But I was just in Vegas for Masters and when the 5pm round was starting there were a couple of different tables still playing from the 1pm round. If you broke the balls on the 3rd match before 2-1/2 hours into the match you played as normal.

So I understand why the league has to do it when you are trying to get through 256 teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are in the masters. You should be equally good at both games.. I would take the break and wouldn’t have to think about it.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I played masters, I always took the break if I had the option in a regular match, especially against players I didn't know. I would definitely do the same in a race to 2. Any competitive masters player is capable of running 2 straight racks of 8 or 9. If I lost the lag and my opponent took the break, I would probably choose 8 ball on a bar box; there is usually at least some work to do to run out and it's harder to play a lock-up safety if they can't.