Suggestions for leather wrap

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
Maybe Not

Elephant is hard to beat. It's exotic, it's extremely durable, and has a great feel to it. I don't think you'd like shark skin if you like the feel of elephant. Shark is very hard and due to it's nature, it's very 'sharp' and kind of rough. If you really really want to go exotic, I'd recommend Hippo. It's like the smoothest velvet you've ever felt. If I were a Sultan, I'd have pillows made of Hippo. Depending on the cue design,a smooth Italian calf skin is also very nice and soft.

I would also stick with a darker color. Maybe a warm dark brown to set off the cocobolo. And I highly recommend sending the cue to the installer so they can match the color/texture/finish to your cue better.

For something exotic, I would say talk to Kenny Koo (AKA Flyingsnail) here on AZ. He does great work and has the most choices I've ever seen. EVER!

I'm not a tree hugger and I eat meat with most every meal. I vote republican and I think everybody should own and learn to use a firearm. I hope the preceeding statements keep me from being labeled a bleeding heart goody two shoes. My concern is this...does the use of an ear wrap in any way contribute to the continued poaching of the magnificent animals....ie...does demand exceed supply. Where do these ears come from.....dead zoo animals....legaly harvested game....or 3rd world no questions asked providers? I do not know the answer....but I'd be interested to hear other perspectives or even honest answers...Dan

Fieldhammer

Instructor/Cue Sales
Silver Member
I've played with various leather and lizard wraps over the last 10 years and the one that rules them all is kangaroo.

I played a crazy number of hours with a kangaroo wrap for 2 years. Although the finish dulled (I never did a thing to it) it felt comfortable, soft, and tacky to the day I sold it. The downside? It can get nicked and the seam is a bear to hide on a smooth wrap. I really miss that cue and wrap.

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best feeling wrap, IMO is elephant ear. I've not tried too many others, but would be very interested in shark skin. Since I prefer wrapless I probably won't get a chance to experiment. But the one thing for sure is that I will never again own a linen wrapped cue.