Super Billiards Expo Amateur Event

rogelioii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever played in this? What's the level of competition like? Should one expect to face someone APA Level 7,8,9 right off the bat? I'm contemplating competing in it this year.

thanks,

roel

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
IMHO, depending of your draw luck that yes, expect to face a higher skill level right off the bat. There are some good players that travel to VF to compete

I played in it about 3-4 years ago and was defeated BADLY by a 12 year old. I had no business playing in it at the time It was a great experience though. We're going for attempt number 2 this year....I guess we'll see. Hopefully this year the 12 year olds stay in the Juniors brackets, LOL!

rogelioii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how skilled where you when u got creamed by the 12 year old? Right now i'm about an APA six with a capacity of playing in the 8 level (maybe).

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
rogelioii said:
how skilled where you when u got creamed by the 12 year old? Right now i'm about an APA six with a capacity of playing in the 8 level (maybe).
I have played at Valley Forge for the last several years. I was an 8 when I quit playing in the APA.

IMO, based on my experience, you will be on the low end of the scale of the other players (bottom 25%); however, I wouldn't let that dissuade you from playing. It is a great experience.

Also, as I am sure you know, skill levels in different areas equate differently. A friend of mine was also and 8 and he finished in the money one year.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
rogelioii said:
Has anyone ever played in this? What's the level of competition like? Should one expect to face someone APA Level 7,8,9 right off the bat? I'm contemplating competing in it this year.

thanks,

roel

roel,

If you're competing in the Men's Open event, you can expect everything from pure amatuer to almost pro in that event.

It brings out the best bar box players in the country.

Barbara

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
landshark77 said:
IMHO, depending of your draw luck that yes, expect to face a higher skill level right off the bat. There are some good players that travel to VF to compete

I played in it about 3-4 years ago and was defeated BADLY by a 12 year old. I had no business playing in it at the time It was a great experience though. We're going for attempt number 2 this year....I guess we'll see. Hopefully this year the 12 year olds stay in the Juniors brackets, LOL!

LS77,

If you were playing in the Women's division, was your opponent named Alexandra? Or Juliette?

Barbara

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
Barbara said:
LS77,

If you were playing in the Women's division, was your opponent named Alexandra? Or Juliette?

Barbara

I can not remember Barbara...she was blonde (I think)...I think she either won it of had a high finish.

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
rogelioii said:

At the time I was a VERY low ranked 3. I couldn't even comprehend the basic fundementals....

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
landshark77 said:
I can not remember Barbara...she was blonde (I think)...I think she either won it of had a high finish.

That would be Juliette Houtz.

It's not an embarassment to lose to her, trust me. She plays very well.

Barbara

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've attended several of these over the years.

In the men's division, my guess is that the thirty best are typically "A" players or better.

In the women's division, perhaps the top five are typically capable of winning a WPBA qualiying event.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
landshark77 said:
It was a great experience though. We're going for attempt number 2 this year....I guess we'll see.

Landshark77
If you have time between matches, come by and check out my booth - upper level in ACA (American Cuemakers Assn) section - booth 48. This will also be my first time at the Allen Hopkins Super Expo. I would love to play but ---- its business. And I wish you good luck - I have heard it is a great place for the players.

Jack Madden
www. johnmaddencues.com

F

Fred Agnir

rogelioii said:
Should one expect to face someone APA Level 7,8,9 right off the bat?
Yes.

It wouldn't be until later rounds that you'd expect to play even better players.

The top players will be pro or near pro speed. The rest of us are just competent hackers.

Fred

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
Jack Madden said:
Landshark77
If you have time between matches, come by and check out my booth - upper level in ACA (American Cuemakers Assn) section - booth 48. This will also be my first time at the Allen Hopkins Super Expo. I would love to play but ---- its business. And I wish you good luck - I have heard it is a great place for the players.

Jack Madden
www. johnmaddencues.com

Hey Jack...I''m sure we'll run into each other! I must say that your booth is in a decent location. You will be surrounded by really great people, but try and keep Travis in check, LOL! The Hopkins show is the best IMO, for players as well as exibitors. You will have a blast. And thanx for the luck.

BTW, I hear you make a nice cue. :)

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
Super Billiards is the best open event in billiards hands down. It is open to all players with no qualifications as you would in league play. IF you like to play this is the event for you.

It also has the best selection of pool related merchandise. You will not see a better presentation anywhere.

Just go and have fun, but good luck getting a hotel room at this late notice.

See you there!

Eydie

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eydie,

Your tourneys have alot to present as well. :)

We will be coming back for more next year. Are you doing a Juniors event again in Chicago in the fall? I have a friend that wants to get his son involved. Thanks.

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
Hey Perk,

Thanks for the plug, we do try and present good events, although VF is the bomb in this industry. I have high respect for Allen and Dawn, I know from personal experience what it takes to make their show happen.

It looks like we are going to combine the Midwest with the Windy City in January and omit the October date. We have a real hard time getting the players to stay at the resort at the $99 rate, they go to the surrounding hotels (justifiably) for half the price. The problem being is that we need a certain amount of people to stay at the hotel and last year we did not meet our room quota which personally cost me over $7,000. :eek:

In January, we can get the rooms at Pheasant Run for $55 a night vs the $99 and the players will stay. Hopefully this will make EVERYONE happy! I have not signed the contract yet, but plan on it next week.

As far as the next Junior event I have, it will be at Disney this coming Aug 3 ~ 7, at the Coronado Springs Resort. Its a 5 star Disney Resort that the price for this property has never been this low before at $99 during peek season.

We have also obtained special rates to get into the parks and there is free transportation to all of the parks as well.

This event includes a HUGE junior event along with an adult/child venue where anyone can play with a kid in a scotch double format. We created this event around families and having fun. No play will be during the mornings or late evenings so that you are free to visit the theme parks when the weather is not scalding hot. :cool:

Check out www.OrlandoOpen.com for all the info!

There is also an event where the pro's can play ~ That is IF the UPA does not schedule an event up against us as it has in the past. I hear that they have already, BUT who knows IF that is going to happen. I will have more info on that soon.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Eydie

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
turquoisecrazy said:
What is your name, honey? :D

Turquoisecrazy....no, my name is not honey. :( Sorry to disappoint.

BTW, you miss typed the addy in the addy bar. You are on a pool forum....the singles forum is around the corner. :p

Last edited:

jazzn4444

the Unknown
Silver Member
landshark77 said:
Turquoisecrazy....no, my name is not honey. :( Sorry to disappoint.

BTW, you miss typed the addy in the addy bar. You are on a pool forum....the singles forum is around the corner. :p
you go girl!
Turquoise, you go guy....all the way around the corner to that singles forum