Super glue finish issues

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished a cue a couple of years ago and it looked fine for at least the first year or so but the last year these spots have appeared and have gotten more and more noticeable.

I am not a cue builder by any stretch and I wont be doing any more with super glue but I still am curious to know what happened.

The affected areas are not due to the finish being worn off or anything, the discoloration is under the finish. Any input would be appreciated. cueissues001.jpg

cueissues003.jpg

cueissues004.jpg

bob_bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it looks like chalk is impregnating the wood. I would use a magic eraser and get it out with water or alcohol. once ya get it cleaned up i'd lay about 10 more layers of super glue wet sand and buff out.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Just looks like chalk............. the finish goes up the shaft a long ways.......... usually the shaft finish is only 3 or 4 inches long. Sand it off and redo it,

Kim

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. The pictures I posted are not great so its hard to tell but this is the handle area of the butt and not a shaft.
It does look like chalk but it is under the finish and it is only in some areas as you can see. I thought maybe someone else had experienced this strange situation before and could shed some light on it.
Either way I wont do the same thing again so its not a huge deal, I was just curious.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Notice how the marks are barberpoled. I think it is chalk residue where the finish is light. Just a guess though. How many coats did you apply?

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. It looks like there wasn't enough finish and the chalk is showing where it is wearing through. If a magic eraser cleans the dirty spots, you'll know it isn't coming from under the finish.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the magic eraser and after some scrubbing the spots are still there but I can tell that the finish is almost gone now in those areas.
I guess it was just thin enough that the chalk could get in but still enough of it there that you could still see the shine. Thanks to all of you for all the replies.