SVB to Kick Off High Run Attempts

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
My memory is a bit fuzzy on this one -- didn't he turn off the stream for his later attempts?

Lou Figueroa
He streamed for most or all of one month at one of the venues. Was it called Bullshooters? I remember watching him run 460sumthing live. He then created the YouTube channel for the final month at the venue he eventually ran 625 at, and was going to put his top daily runs on the channel. But that never panned out after the first couple of runs posted.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't want to sound like a debby downer, but how is this 14.1 challenge supposed to help the sport? I love 14.1 and will try to tune in as much as possible but I do not understand how this will attract people who would not pro pool if it was in their backyard. Unless they mean there will be other big events along side this aswell?

It helps the sport by drawing interest to 14.1 -- people were talking about JS' run, and Mosconi, and other high runs, and more recently the American 14.1.

It also helps the sport by putting money into players' pockets. I think anything like this, which puts the sport and it's elite in a positive spotlight is a good thing. We not trying to solve all the woes of the sport, just do one good thing.

Lou Figueroa

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My memory is a bit fuzzy on this one -- didn't he turn off the stream for his later attempts?

Lou Figueroa
He did but I believe it was at the request of the Predator group who ended up sponsoring him when he was doing his attempts. If anything, they were smart enough to do that so that way they can own part of the record breaking video for their own financial incentives later on.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if it will "help the sport" or attract anyone to pro pool, but it will be nice to have some top pros give it a go and see what kind of numbers they put up.

All I know is that at the pool hall I play at, occasionally someone who is not deep into pool will talk about JS' run and Mosconi's run and even some of the recent 200 14.1 ball runs -- that's good thing.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except you left out the part that you are already a pool fan. How is a 14.1 high run challenge going to help bring in the non pool fan? How is this being marketed to the non pool watchers? Hell, how is this going to help convert a lot of league players who seem to not even know about the pro side of the game?

ah, the issue is I don't believe we ever said those were our objectives.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think it helps pool attract a broader audience, but it might generate more interest in 14.1 amongst existing players. It could entice more amateurs to try to get their own high runs. And thus, that increased interest could result in more views for 14.1 tournaments and potentially even justify creating more events.

Bingo!

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He streamed for most or all of one month at one of the venues. Was it called Bullshooters? I remember watching him run 460sumthing live. He then created the YouTube channel for the final month at the venue he eventually ran 625 at, and was going to put his top daily runs on the channel. But that never panned out after the first couple of runs posted.

Thank you for that clarification.

Lou Figueroa

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
i believe he did. so did a few others in the past.

the question is not whether someone did the deed but whether it should be sanctioned as a world record or not. using some kind of standard rather than just saying it was or having one ruling party declaring it as such without a standard being followed.
The record set was on a 9ft, not a 7ft, 8ft, or 10ft. The amount of attempts is requardless of the feat accomplished, the consecutive pocketing of 626 balls was witnessed by several people, as well as recorded, so until someone runs more consecutive pocketed balls, the record still stands as a NEW HIGH run record on a 9ft pool table, requardless of Willie's record of pocketing 526 balls on an 8ft pool table, that still stands as the highest consecutive balls pocketed on an 8 FOOT POOL TABLE!!! There are 3 records here that if people weren't so ignorant they would recognize them! Highest consecutive balls pocketed on an 8ft pool table, Willie Mosconi, highest consecutive balls pocketed on a 9ft pool table, John Schmidt. Most balks pocketed consecutively on ANY SIZE pool table, John Schmidt!!!

Facts are not opinions because FACTS are undeniable!!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t see anything bad about this idea.

Something to sweat, new shit to argue about-what could be bad about that?

I’m 100% behind this and I think it’s been done in a good way, nothing behind a paywall or curtain. From what I can tell it’s all out in the open.

Best
Fatboy 😀

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t see anything bad about this idea.

Something to sweat, new shit to argue about-what could be bad about that?

I’m 100% behind this and I think it’s been done in a good way, nothing behind a paywall or curtain. From what I can tell it’s all out in the open.

Best
Fatboy 😀
100% agree!

but the pockets are so large i forsee
a lot of scratches on the break shot

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The record set was on a 9ft, not a 7ft, 8ft, or 10ft. The amount of attempts is requardless of the feat accomplished, the consecutive pocketing of 626 balls was witnessed by several people, as well as recorded, so until someone runs more consecutive pocketed balls, the record still stands as a NEW HIGH run record on a 9ft pool table, requardless of Willie's record of pocketing 526 balls on an 8ft pool table, that still stands as the highest consecutive balls pocketed on an 8 FOOT POOL TABLE!!! There are 3 records here that if people weren't so ignorant they would recognize them! Highest consecutive balls pocketed on an 8ft pool table, Willie Mosconi, highest consecutive balls pocketed on a 9ft pool table, John Schmidt. Most balks pocketed consecutively on ANY SIZE pool table, John Schmidt!!!

Facts are not opinions because FACTS are undeniable!!

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't ;-)

Lou Figueroa

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m a one pocket player, not a good one but average, and it has me locked up watching these runs, so I agree it’s igniting some straight pool for players who normally don’t play the game. What more do people want out of it?
I can’t stand playing 14.1, but I love to watch it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m a one pocket player, not a good one but average, and it has me locked up watching these runs, so I agree it’s igniting some straight pool for players who normally don’t play the game. What more do people want out of it?

There is something about the run attempts... the man v mountain thing, that has an almost transcendental, inescapable, can't pull my eyes away thing about it.

Admittedly, its not for everyone. But for many of us... you start to watch... and get sucked in... wondering where the cliff is.

Lou Figueroa
I love it