Sweet Spot On CBIs Just Above Center?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If I strike the CB slightly above center with level stroke, will I get less friction on the CB that will it produce less deflection on the CB. Johnnyt

Title should read "sweet spot on the CB"
 
Last edited:
If I strike the CB slightly above center with level stroke, will I get less friction on the CB that will it produce less deflection on the CB. Johnnyt

Title should read "sweet spot on the CB"
If you strike the CB at 80% of maximum follow (just less than half way from center to the top) it will immediately roll without sliding. Any lower than that and it slides (at least a little) before fully rolling.

Is that the friction you're asking about?

pj
chgo
 
If you strike the CB at 80% of maximum follow (just less than half way from center to the top) it will immediately roll without sliding. Any lower than that and it slides (at least a little) before fully rolling.

Is that the friction you're asking about?

pj
chgo

Yes it is. Johnnyt
 
If I strike the CB slightly above center with level stroke, will I get less friction on the CB that will it produce less deflection on the CB. Johnnyt

Title should read "sweet spot on the CB"

I have no idea what you're trying to ask. With that being said, obviously there is no deflection unless there is side english on the shot.
 
2/5 above center will provide a perfect rolling CB. This is higher than you think as the top of the tip is not what will hit the CB rather the contact on the tip will be on lower part of this and most of the tip will be up above this point. This point is at 1.5575" above the cloth so the top of the tip/ferrule is up near 1.9"

Mark Wilson talk about pro-grade top spin in his book and suggests cueing higher than you think you need to achieve this top spin. Over spin is perhaps not achievable but getting a true rolling CB in a short distant is a great skill.
 
If I strike the CB slightly above center with level stroke, will I get less friction on the CB that will it produce less deflection on the CB.
Me:
If you strike the CB at 80% of maximum follow (just less than half way from center to the top) it will immediately roll without sliding. Any lower than that and it slides (at least a little) before fully rolling.

Is that the friction you're asking about?
Johnnyt:
Yes it is.
Since you mention deflection, are you also talking about side spin? If so, hitting higher will make it seem like there's less CB deflection (squirt) because swerve will happen quicker. This is separate from the sliding friction I mentioned above.

pj
chgo
 
2/5 above center will provide a perfect rolling CB. This is higher than you think as the top of the tip is not what will hit the CB rather the contact on the tip will be on lower part of this and most of the tip will be up above this point. This point is at 1.5575" above the cloth so the top of the tip/ferrule is up near 1.9"

Mark Wilson talk about pro-grade top spin in his book and suggests cueing higher than you think you need to achieve this top spin. Over spin is perhaps not achievable but getting a true rolling CB in a short distant is a great skill.

TY. and have his book which I thought was one of the best written. I must have skipped over that...my bad. Johnnyt
 
Back
Top