Szam Tribute

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Gonz.......great cue.........I noticed that you had Bob build your cue using 3 different ring designs?

Matt B.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Hey Gonz.......great cue.........I noticed that you had Bob build your cue using 3 different ring designs?

Matt B.

Yep. It was modeled after a Szam. Great working with Bob all around! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob did an excellent job of matching the cue design......he's an amazing craftsman and does such detailed, exact work as your cue design exemplifies..
By chance, would you know the orig. cue's veneers in the photo? Regardless, yours are really handsome looking. It's great to have a cue that's exciting.

Last edited:

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
I saw your Cue about a month ago before it had the lacquer on it, Bob was showing me cues that he was working on to give me an idea of what he is working on an what kinda caliber of Cues he can build an he can build with the best of them. When He grabbed your Cue an was showing it too me he said this Cue here is a Tribute Cue For a Gentleman that I'm building for him. The Cue is called a Tribute Cue an it's a Tribute to the Cue maker Named Szamboti. I was like, I've heard of him an this Cue looks baddass in my mind is what I was saying.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

RCLane

Cue Buyer Of What I Like
Silver Member
I want to go back to Bobs Shop this
Fall/Winter with 2K minimal & probably closer to 3K if not higher an let him build a Cue he wants to Design an see if what he comes up with. Either way this Fall I'm going back to the shop with 2K at the least an I'm going to have a pretty slick cue about a year later.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Bob did an excellent job of matching the cue design......he's an amazing craftsman and does such detailed, exact work as your cue design exemplifies..
By chance, would you know the orig. cue's veneers in the photo? Regardless, yours are really handsome looking. It's great to have a cue that's exciting.

I'm not sure of the original veneer colors, so the ones in my cue were of my choosing....and of course, an ivory joint and leather wrap :)

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I don't consider this a "Tribute". It's a COPY. There's a difference.

A tribute would be something made in the "STYLE" of another maker. Also I believe only to be made because the maker is not making cues anymore. Not an exact copy.

First, the "maker", Szamboti Cues, is still in business making cues and Second, the cue is for all intensive purposes an attempt at an exact copy of a previous cue.

The maker should have created a twist on the inlays or try and create an arrangement not seen before if he HAD to use the same elements. its not hard to do.

I wouldn't have approached it the way the maker did because I wouldn't do a "copy" BUT if I decided to try and put a twist on an element or do a different arrangement in the "style of", I still wouldn't do it without Barry seeing it first... Yes that is foreshadowing... :wink:

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
I don't consider this a "Tribute". It's a COPY. There's a difference.

A tribute would be something made in the "STYLE" of another maker. Also I believe only to be made because the maker is not making cues anymore. Not an exact copy.

First, the "maker", Szamboti Cues, is still in business making cues and Second, the cue is for all intensive purposes an attempt at an exact copy of a previous cue.

The maker should have created a twist on the inlays or try and create an arrangement not seen before if he HAD to use the same elements. its not hard to do.

I wouldn't have approached it the way the maker did because I wouldn't do a "copy" BUT if I decided to try and put a twist on an element or do a different arrangement in the "style of", I still wouldn't do it without Barry seeing it first... Yes that is foreshadowing... :wink:

What about these?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
What about these?

Bottm original, top copy (unless it's restored with new shafts)...Many cues have been made in the "Hoppe" style. Them not being made or sold anymore by the original company, it's a bit of a grey area with me but in this case I lean towards having no problem with them as long as they are not passed off as original... That said, with the exception of the tongues on the shafts, everything looking so "true" just seems wrong...

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Bottm original, top copy (unless it's restored with new shafts)...Many cues have been made in the "Hoppe" style. Them not being made or sold anymore by the original company, it's a bit of a grey area with me but in this case I lean towards having no problem with them as long as they are not passed off as original... That said, with the exception of the tongues on the shafts, everything looking so "true" just seems wrong...

The top is a Balabushka. The bottom is a Herman Rambow. I wonder if George knew hew was just making copies...

Either way, under no circumstances will I be passing my cue off as an original Szam...which would be difficult with the name on the forearm ;)

You say, "tomato," I say, "I'm very happy with my new cue, designed exactly how I wanted!" :thumbup:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The top is a Balabushka. The bottom is a Herman Rambow. I wonder if George knew hew was just making copies...

Either way, under no circumstances will I be passing my cue off as an original Szam...which would be difficult with the name on the forearm ;)

You say, "tomato," I say, "I'm very happy with my new cue, designed exactly how I wanted!" :thumbup:

You'd never know the top was a George cue. Those shafts are NOT his work. As for him copying. No. Both makers used the same Brunswick blanks... So they're both custom conversions...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue should be appreciated for what it is....how it looks.....plays....rather than the nomenclature being debated to describe it
Since the veneers could be different anyway, my vote is to describe it as "Tribute Cue".....but it really doesn't matter in the least.

Maybe this will help......I hope so because this issue has come up before and simply gone in silly circles........

"Tribute" - an act, statement, or gift that is intended to show gratitude, respect, or admiration.

"Reproduction" - the action or process of making a copy of something.

"Copy" - a thing made to be similar or identical version of; reproduce; make a similar or identical version of.

"Pool Cue" - a piece of milled, crafted wood that can be referred to any way the cue owner prefers....Nuf Ced!

Matt B.

Last edited:

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not a copy because the chain link would be wrong and also the veneer color. A copy to me would mean that it could be mistaken for an original. Just my opinion. Nevertheless a beautiful cue made by a great guy.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Cue arrived today...shipped overnight from Bob's shop.

First thoughts....

The veneers are so much more vibrant in person than they pictures show. The blue is MUCH brighter and much less purple than I thought it looked in the picture. The best way I can describe it is, "Superman-blue," which was exactly what I was going for with the chosen colors.

All the inlays appear to be cut sharp and the ivory lines flow throughout the cue.

The leather wrap feels fantastic, and I have to say, the butt end of the cue feels thicker than the other custom cues I own....I like it a lot. The cue screws together very solid. I love to ivory joint and the pin Bob uses.

For the feel of how the cue strikes the balls, I love an ivory joint and ivory ferrules...soft yet solid is the only way I can describe it.

This is already one of my favorite cues that I own. I showed Bob what I was looking for, talked about what I was looking for in a cue, and he made it to the T.

I definitely wouldn't hesitate to order another cue from Schurtz customs! :thumbup:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
A cue should be appreciated for what it is....how it looks.....plays....rather than the nomenclature being debated to describe it
Since the veneers could be different anyway, my vote is to describe it as "Tribute Cue".....but it really doesn't matter in the least.

Maybe this will help......I hope so because this issue has come up before and simply gone in silly circles........

"Tribute" - an act, statement, or gift that is intended to show gratitude, respect, or admiration.

"Reproduction" - the action or process of making a copy of something.

"Copy" - a thing made to be similar or identical version of; reproduce; make a similar or identical version of.

"Pool Cue" - a piece of milled, crafted wood that can be referred to any way the cue owner prefers....Nuf Ced!

Matt B.

Nut Ced? Too funny....

Veneer colors different so its not a copy?...This coming from a guy who had a copy made of a copy...Gimme a break. It's about DESIGN elements not 'colors'... Geez... This is either willful ignorance, stupidity, or an attempt at covering up either one... Either way it's not good...

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Nut Ced? Too funny....

Veneer colors different so its not a copy?...This coming from a guy who had a copy made of a copy...Gimme a break. It's about DESIGN elements not 'colors'... Geez... This is either willful ignorance, stupidity, or an attempt at covering up either one... Either way it's not good...

Lions don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fuuny how some people see the world.... they sit on the sidelines and pontificate.......bellowing expertise and opinions
crafted by their own prejudicial thinking regardless of how arrogant and stupid stupid it makes them appear.....Tsh...Tsh....Tsh.

Gonzo...great friggin' pool cue.......Bob Owen is a gentleman and extremely talented cue-maker. When you get home later,
check out the shaft design we discussed earlier today. Bob's design is ingenuous and the hit and feel is as great as my EP cue.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Nobody cares

I don't give a crap if it is a copy or a tribute or whatever stupid name you
want to call it. It is a nicely constructed billiard instrument that I'm certain
plays as well as it looks. Congrats on the new cue. Ignore the idiots who
think it is an unforgivable crime to "copy" a damn pool cue. :rolleyes:

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
I don't give a crap if it is a copy or a tribute or whatever stupid name you
want to call it. It is a nicely constructed billiard instrument that I'm certain
plays as well as it looks. Congrats on the new cue. Ignore the idiots who
think it is an unforgivable crime to "copy" a damn pool cue. :rolleyes:

I've got to say, I thought it played even better than that! :thumbup: