Table Climbers @ Buffalo's

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is what I heard as well from the commentator Scott Rabon, plus don't recall seeing it on the previous streams from there.

Exactly and i wouldn't forget seeing it either-and I don't appreciate clever wording to mislead people.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in Baton Rouge for one of Grady's events in 93/94 and there was no climbing- I saw a 33 hour 9Ball One Pocket match between Rooster and Jack Cooney at Lambert's-No climbing there either. I assume it is very local to NO

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Well, if I'd just walked in, not knowing the local rules, I'd sure be in WTF mode...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Damn-totally unaware of that- I wonder why it near totally faded out?

Legitimate tournaments took over and pool hustling faded as top players became more well known, thanks to television and the various billiard media of the 80's coming along. That's not to say gambling at pool died out, because it didn't. It's just that they started playing primarily by "tournament rules" and this was usually mentioned before a gambling match got underway. "Up on the table" faded into obscurity for the most part, except for a few areas of the country, like the deep South.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The way lease rates have appreciated in LA I don’t think a pool room can be run at a profit in a decent location.

Notwithstanding the fact that the city hates to hand out pool room permits.

It could be done, trust me on that. I actually looked into renting some warehouse space in downtown L.A. a few years ago, 6,500 square feet for $5,000 a month and I could have gotten a five year lease with a five year option. It would have taken several hundred thou to build it out but if the necessary licenses could have been obtained (and I had a well connected partner) it would have worked. The big question for me was did I want to work that hard again. I would have been a 50% partner but the full time room operator. Seven days a week and probably 10-12 hour days (maybe a day off once a week) and I said no thank you.

If I didn't have a steady income from other investments I would probably consider doing it again. But luckily for me I'm in good shape financially at this stage of my life. I'm on permanent vacation! :rolleyes:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played a long one pocket session in Mt Vernon IL in ‘78...4x8 Schmidt table.
My opponent weighed about 260..
...every time he got up on the table....I had to re-learn the rollls...:mad:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be done, trust me on that. I actually looked into renting some warehouse space in downtown L.A. a few years ago, 6,500 square feet for $5,000 a month and I could have gotten a five year lease with a five ye ar option. It would have taken several hundred thou to build it out but if the necessary licenses could have been obtained (and I had a well connected partner) it would have worked. The big question for me was did I want to work that hard again. I would have been a 50% partner but the full time room operator. Seven days a week and probably 10-12 hour days (maybe a day off once a week) and I said no thank you.

If I didn't have a steady income from other investments I would probably consider doing it again. But luckily for me I'm in good shape financially at this stage of my life. I'm on permanent vacation! :rolleyes:

Because of the indoor marijuana growing you would be surprised to see where rates are now.

To your point about all the hard work I agree. As far as a permits are concerned most landlords will not do deals contingent on you securing a pool permit.

The city does not like pool halls.