Table Lighting Battle

KPro1234

Can I get away with recessed lighting surrounding the outside of a 9ft table? We have a low basement ceiling and my wife is pushing back on installing a hanging table light. We have recessed lighting all over the ceiling and there would be 6 lights around the table (about 1 ft from the edges). Can I use stronger LED reflector bulbs (thinking BR40-100W-4000K) or do we need to go the traditional, 4 light, fixture? We want a quality setup and will use it frequently, but aren't pro players.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
What about flush mount LED panels? They protrude 1/2" from the ceiling and the trim can be painted to match the ceiling. They really blend right in

KPro1234

What about flush mount LED panels? They protrude 1/2" from the ceiling and the trim can be painted to match the ceiling. They really blend right in
That was my first idea but she shot that one down. She says everyone she grew up with used can lights whereas I remember dedicated light fixtures.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Go to superbrightleds.com and sell her on 2x4 panels or 2x2 panels. Can lights/recessed lights will be horrible
I agree about the LED panels. Came out too late for me. I flush mounted my Diamond light and I only have a 7 ft ceiling. It's very nice. Many happy customers!

KPro1234

Go to superbrightleds.com and sell her on 2x4 panels or 2x2 panels. Can lights/recessed lights will be horrible
Tried again, her reaction was a look of “no way in hell”. She has been great about every other aspect I’ve done (tv, stereo, 9ft table) so I’m trying to make her happy on this one.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Tried again, her reaction was a look of “no way in hell”. She has been great about every other aspect I’ve done (tv, stereo, 9ft table) so I’m trying to make her happy on this one.
if you want some literally free LED panels I think I have enough for you to use. You can sell it as "these are free to try out for now, while we explore other options. Can lighting will provide incredibly poor performance for an otherwise expensive endeavor"

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
if you want some literally free LED panels I think I have enough for you to use. You can sell it as "these are free to try out for now, while we explore other options. Can lighting will provide incredibly poor performance for an otherwise expensive endeavor"
Did you get my PM questions about the panels? Can you post or PM some pics of these panels in action?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Did you get my PM questions about the panels? Can you post or PM some pics of these panels in action?
We didn't end up using any, we flooded our space with 8500lumen bulbs, they are like the sun

KPro1234

Appreciate the offer, but panels are a no go. I’ve debated adjustable recessed lights so I can angle them. Not sure if it would be problematic and shine into my eyes when playing.

mhilton777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you provide a pic of the current setup? I just upgraded a bunch of lighting with wafer LED lights that are dimmable and do not require cans at all, so that may be a solution as well.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let her keep the cans in the main part of the room and install the LED just above your table. Compromise.........

KPro1234

This angle is from the rack side. The dead center of the table will be slightly off from hanging wires (further from the dartboard) to allow for proper cue movement). The table will have about a foot from bumper edge to where the lights start. Right now I have 90W, 1295 Lumen, 2700K BR40s installed for testing, but would upgrade to 4000K with more lumens or possibly swap to adjust able fixtures.

Attachments

• File_000(1).jpeg
    File_000(1).jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 210

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This angle is from the rack side. The dead center of the table will be slightly off from hanging wires (further from the dartboard) to allow for proper cue movement). The table will have about a foot from bumper edge to where the lights start. Right now I have 90W, 1295 Lumen, 2700K BR40s installed for testing, but would upgrade to 4000K with more lumens or possibly swap to adjust able fixtures.
Good god man! You tell her you will have whatever you want in your poolroom. Then tell her to make you a sandwich and wake you up on the couch in the morning.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar issue. My wife has the vision of a common pool table light. That was a definite NO GO!!! I didn't want a Budweiser lamp either but was looking at Diamond and at the time Gabriel had a really good light I thought I could take apart and mount flush. That wasn't going to be in her house either. No matter what!

Who am I to argue, She heads up the Interior Design division for an Architecture firm.
Well I did have one argument. My table must be lit properly. That means bright and as best as possible I need minimal amount of shadows.

OK, you find a lamp, and I'll OK it.

She found the one in the photo. Fine, tell me the lighting pattern. She went to the Engineers and they sent her how this fixture would illuminate a 5X10 table.

I gave the OK even though the corners were weaker. The peripheral can lights were always in my plan. The pool hall I go to has table lights plus ceiling lights. Always thought that was a good plan for reducing shadows.

Attachments

• My-Room-Reduced.jpg
    My-Room-Reduced.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 352

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar issue. My wife has the vision of a common pool table light. That was a definite NO GO!!! I didn't want a Budweiser lamp either but was looking at Diamond and at the time Gabriel had a really good light I thought I could take apart and mount flush. That wasn't going to be in her house either. No matter what!

Who am I to argue, She heads up the Interior Design division for an Architecture firm.
Well I did have one argument. My table must be lit properly. That means bright and as best as possible I need minimal amount of shadows.

She found the one in the photo. Fine, tell me the lighting pattern. She went to the Engineers and they sent her how this fixture would illuminate a 5X10 table.

I gave the OK even though the corners were weaker. The peripheral can lights were always in my plan. The pool hall I go to has table lights plus ceiling lights. Always thought that was a good plan for reducing shadows.

Very beautiful!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Holy crap. Isn't that like a $17.99 fixture from home depot?

I see why she's the boss (get receipts!).

And you romm looks like both my heaven and hell! Damn that game.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap. Isn't that like a $17.99 fixture from home depot?

I see why she's the boss (get receipts!).

And you romm looks like both my heaven and hell! Damn that game.
LOL
Home Depot wouldn't even think of having that light in their inventory.

It was more than $17.99.
Heck even more than $99.99.
Can you believe it?