Table recovered a couple of months ago...need advice

jwalko1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi;

I recovered my table a couple of months ago (in January). I used Velocity Pro cloth.

Anyway, I play on the cloth daily. The Velocity Pro isn't quite as fast as Simonis (which I would used if I could have afforded it...it was more than twice the price), but it is a decent cloth. I like the way it plays. The table is a custom from Thompson Billiards in Florida, and is a 9'. I replaced both the cloth and rails (including the rubber)

When I installed the cloth, I had it stretched nice and tight. You could run your hand down the table and the cloth wouldn't move much, if at all.

Just last night, I noticed a little puckering around one of the corner pockets. Now, it seems as if the cloth on the table bed and the rails has loosened up. If you run your hand over it, you can easily move the cloth...same with the rails. I'm thinking it needs to be re-stretched and stapled (no adhesive used when recovered).

So, my question is: Is this common (that cloth has to be restretched)? I'm wondering if this was caused by a change in the humidity (we went from having cold, winter-like weather to being really wet and rainy...humidity in the 80-90% range almost daily).

If stretching again is the solution, do I need to remove the staples and re-do everything...or can I just stretch it tight again and re-stable on one side? Along the same lines, so I have to stretch across and length-wise...or just lengthwise?

Thanks;

John

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Hi;

I recovered my table a couple of months ago (in January). I used Velocity Pro cloth.

Anyway, I play on the cloth daily. The Velocity Pro isn't quite as fast as Simonis (which I would used if I could have afforded it...it was more than twice the price), but it is a decent cloth. I like the way it plays. The table is a custom from Thompson Billiards in Florida, and is a 9'. I replaced both the cloth and rails (including the rubber)

When I installed the cloth, I had it stretched nice and tight. You could run your hand down the table and the cloth wouldn't move much, if at all.

Just last night, I noticed a little puckering around one of the corner pockets. Now, it seems as if the cloth on the table bed and the rails has loosened up. If you run your hand over it, you can easily move the cloth...same with the rails. I'm thinking it needs to be re-stretched and stapled (no adhesive used when recovered).

So, my question is: Is this common (that cloth has to be restretched)? I'm wondering if this was caused by a change in the humidity (we went from having cold, winter-like weather to being really wet and rainy...humidity in the 80-90% range almost daily).

If stretching again is the solution, do I need to remove the staples and re-do everything...or can I just stretch it tight again and re-stable on one side? Along the same lines, so I have to stretch across and length-wise...or just lengthwise?

Thanks;

John

Humidity will have an effect on the cloth and is probably why you're noticing it's not on as tight as it should be. The cloth does need to be stretched both side-to-side and lengthwise. I'm just in Dayton, so only a half hour from you. Let me know if you need help, and we'll work something out to stop by and check it out.

jwalko1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josh:

Thanks for the reply. I won't have time to do anything for a week or so (business trip). I'll get in touch with you when I get some time.

I appreciate the help.

John

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Josh:

Thanks for the reply. I won't have time to do anything for a week or so (business trip). I'll get in touch with you when I get some time.

I appreciate the help.

John

No problem. We've been pretty hectic lately anyway. Shoot me a message when you want to schedule something. Thanks!