Take care of your leather...

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I wasn't as diligent as I should have been with the leather on my justis and you can see what happened to the strap. :( I wanted the case to look weathered but I guess when I did clean it I wasn't as careful with the shoulder strap. It's tearing right where the metal bucket is. I'm sure I can order a new one from jack but I guess it's retired for now. I'm sure jack will blame me for putting a jb interior in it KIDDDING ! lol Seriously It's my fault..take care of your leather people..or it won't take care of you .
 

Attachments

Yeah, leather does like to be treated with a little cleaner/conditioner to keep it supple, especially in the high wear spots like that. I have nice leather shoes and proper treatment is what helps them last a long time.

But hey, look at it as a badge of honor, you must be using the heck out of that case and playing lots! And what a case..Justis w/JB interior is pretty much my dream case.
 
For future reference the best treatment Ive found for leather is peanut oil. Either for jackets or saddles nothing makes a leather as soft and makes it look new.
 
Low humidity can dry and crack leather. Bring your cue case to the local shoe repair shop. They should be able to identify the type of leather, tanning process and recommend an appropriate conditioner.
 
Last edited:
I've been using kiwi in the little can. I was losing the color at the bottom and on the lid and the brown brought it back. I'll have to try the peanut oil. Thanks
 
Yeah, leather does like to be treated with a little cleaner/conditioner to keep it supple, especially in the high wear spots like that. I have nice leather shoes and proper treatment is what helps them last a long time.

But hey, look at it as a badge of honor, you must be using the heck out of that case and playing lots! And what a case..Justis w/JB interior is pretty much my dream case.

Lol I think it pissed jack off but I didn't like hearing my cues bounce around when I was walking. Not that I thought it would damage them... It was just an annoyance.
 
I've been using kiwi in the little can. I was losing the color at the bottom and on the lid and the brown brought it back. I'll have to try the peanut oil. Thanks

Kiwi is a polish and can add color and shine, but it doesn't do anything good for leather really. I use Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP on all my leather and it is a fantastic product. Recomended by Russell Moccassins (makers of custom hunting footwear) it takes good care of my boots, belts, wallets, etc. I have some nice leather boots from Russell, Whites, and Alden and they all get treated with Obenaufs every 6 months or so probably.
 
Good to keep in mind
ive got a tooled up rusty melton on the way and it never came across my mind that I needed to maintain the leather
just as in keepin your cues maintained
 
Back
Top