takes me a while to get warm...

mgonfishn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do work out a ton, so that could be why.... but it takes me so long to start warming up. Sometimes it could take over an hour before i start to feel loose in my stroke. What are some good drills , or techniques that can possibly help me warm up faster. Would def come in handy come tournaments or matches.. thanks :)

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Begin your warm-up with a few lags to get a feel for the table speed and levelness. Shoot half a dozen or more very easy shots before trying anything difficult. Begin with center ball hits and dead stop before you try any draw, force follow, etc. If you miss one of your first few shots, you're failing at fundamentals. Take the warm-up seriously. Don't play games as a warm-up, they are of little value when it comes to getting in stroke in a few minutes.

BCA/ACS Instructor

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a professional lesson, so you can learn how to create your PERFECT stroke process. It would seem that your current instructor is not showing you how to do this. It's Step 1 in gaining trust in your stroke...which then eliminates the need to "warm up". The second benefit, is that once you develop complete trust in your stroke, it never goes away...even if you lay off for months or years.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

i do work out a ton, so that could be why.... but it takes me so long to start warming up. Sometimes it could take over an hour before i start to feel loose in my stroke. What are some good drills , or techniques that can possibly help me warm up faster. Would def come in handy come tournaments or matches.. thanks :)

mgonfishn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the feedback, however, scott i truly disagree with your past post. It has nothing to do with my instructor, the reason i have trouble getting loose fast is because i basically have the physique of a bodybuilder, and shoot pool directly after the gym. The stroke process ive been using has been working well. Its getting my muscles loose and doing it fast is what the problem is.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the feedback, however, scott i truly disagree with your past post. It has nothing to do with my instructor, the reason i have trouble getting loose fast is because i basically have the physique of a bodybuilder, and shoot pool directly after the gym. The stroke process ive been using has been working well. Its getting my muscles loose and doing it fast is what the problem is.

I have the same problem. It takes an hour or more to loosen up and stroke smoothly. I work out and have a construction job, so I learned to actually stretch my arms and wrists/hands until they relax enough to play. It still takes a while, but it speeds up the process.

Best,
Mike

berlowmj2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"trust in stroke"

Get a professional lesson, so you can learn how to create your PERFECT stroke process. It would seem that your current instructor is not showing you how to do this. It's Step 1 in gaining trust in your stroke...which then eliminates the need to "warm up". The second benefit, is that once you develop complete trust in your stroke, it never goes away...even if you lay off for months or years.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

How many drills or years before stroke is "hard wired" & conscious mind never interferes?

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
How many drills or years before stroke is "hard wired" & conscious mind never interferes?

It takes as long as it takes. If you spend 20 minutes a day working on it, you will find it happens quicker than if you spend 2 hours once a week.

It is said that it takes 21 days to develop a new habit. But, just as you need to change the oil in your car every 3000 miles, you also have to maintain your stroke building practice.

Everyone is different, so you might get it hard-wired more or less quickly than others. But if you aren't working on it, it's not happening at all, and if you don't put in the time to maintain it, it will fail when you need it most.

There isn't a fixed time to reach an end goal in pool. It's a process of continuous improvement. Enjoy the journey, and don't focus on the destination.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really great advice! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

It takes as long as it takes. If you spend 20 minutes a day working on it, you will find it happens quicker than if you spend 2 hours once a week.

There isn't a fixed time to reach an end goal in pool. It's a process of continuous improvement. Enjoy the journey, and don't focus on the destination.Steve