Tell a best experience dealing with a cuemaker

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I had many a conversation with Mike Cochran, but unfortunatley i never had him build me a cue.

He was in my opinion the cream of the crop, may he Rest In Peace

-Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Mike Miller ---- Michael Morgan cues in New York.

Beautiful work, stand-up guy. Always does what he says, which is a rare thing these days.

Mike does all of my work on my cues, he does phenomenal work !!!

Real nice guy, known him for a million years !!

-Steve

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ron Haley , Andy Gilbert, Mike Capone, Mike Lambros, ...
ALL THESE Guys great experiences.

I have also spoken with Ryan theewan-rat cues, Bob Owen, Pete Ohman,
Paul Dayton about building a cue
Also excellent professional people who returned calls, emails, etc

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn. He makes you feel like you're the only customer in the world, and builds a cue as well as ANYBODY in the business for about half the cost. He built my latest player, on time and with some desired upgrades at no additional cost (ivory Hoppe ring and elephant ear wrap). He put two different ferrules on my shafts, offering to replace whichever one I liked least (turns out I like them both). As soon as I got it, he asked me to call him while he was on vacation and tell him how I liked it. As long as that man still builds cues, I'll have no other mortal make one for me. :D

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith Josey was good but I stick to sneakies and plain janes

you couldn't pay me to go through a complicated custom job with most cuemakers
( errrrrr..........scammers)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Dittos on Keith Josey...although I bought one he'd already built. Dealing with he and his lady was great. If the worst happens to my cue, I will be calling him...

It's great to read about the GOOD cue makers here. Especially after reading posts about the ones with not so great customer service.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Richard Black

I would like to hear a few best experiences that you had with a cuemaker.
So,I am looking for some happy stories in which cuemaker made amazingly great impression on you.Any nice story is great to hear!

A couple years ago, I had a cue that I couldn't identify. I sent pics to a number of cue makers. Most didn't even respond. One said he only identifies cues if he made them.

Only Barry Szamboti and Richard Black responded.
Barry helped some...had some ideas. Richard asked me to send him x-rays of the cue, and I did. Though he couldn't ID it either, he did tell me what it definitely wasn't, and gave me his opinion on the value of the cue..

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes cuemakers with stock imo is a great thing, when someone needs a big deposit to "buy supplies".....well u know

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Nitti: years ago threw in some very nice JP's for a cue I had. And I only ordered a shaft.

Lambros: sent him a very early cue of his for some work and an extra shaft, great experience.

Schick: like another poster said, great guy, could talk fishing with him all day, and the work he did for me was exceptional. Always took my call.

I'm glad you didn't ask about bad experiences, not enough time in the day.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laurie Franklin at SW is terrific to work with. Above and beyond in everything she does.

I've also had great experiences with Tim Scruggs, Kenny Murrell, Alex Brick, Mike Wheeler, Brian Mordt. Cuemakers that I have found to be upfront, reliable and most importantly... honest.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Darren Hill :thumbup:

Brought him a beat to hell 1940's Willie Hoppe Pro Model to refinish. He put in a new joint, new but cap, new Hoppe ring, slimmed down the handle, and put on a new wrap, refinished the cue, and installed my OB shaft to match the butt ring. He shaved 2 oz off the handle, and it went from 21 oz to 19 oz, which was perfect.

I was shocked to see how well it came out. I was expecting average cause I really didn't know him, but somebody recommended him, so I took a chance. It came out PERFECT......and on time and on budget.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Bob Frey superlative work, always on time and one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Tim Scruggs was also a pleasure to deal with also.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Murray Tucker has gone 'above and beyond' when he has worked on my cues.
Eddie Prewitt took my idea for a cue and the result was just perfect, mostly thru phone conversations..

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I used to work for a fast food restaurant that did a good breakfast business. One day I noticed a guy wearing a tshirt from a local pool hall. He would come thru the drive thru three or so times a week. I ran into him at a tournament one night and figured out that he was Al Link. I looked at some of his cues and asked him to build me one.

Now here comes the fun part of the story. Every step of the build process took place through my drive thru window between 5:30-6:00am. The first day he handed me four full splice blanks to choose from. It seemed kinda odd, but it was super convenient for both of us. I have to be honest, he was late with delivery, but that was because a tree fell on his workshop. After the cue was finished if I need a tip or any other work done we passed it through the drive thru window.

I've since left that job and now have to drive across town to get any work done…like a normal person :rolleyes:

Ben

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric Crisp-Sugartree

I ordered a 60" cue from Eric and when it was delivered it was 58". I told him about the mistake and he says "Sorry I goofed. I'll build you a new one right away." I had ordered a simple cue and he then offers to build me an eight point with whatever woods I want. At this point I'm shocked and ask him if he wants the cue back and he's says "No, keep it. It was my mistake. You could probably sell it if you want." At this point I'm floored. He's building me a nicer more expensive cue at no cost and I can sell the other cue. I decided to compensate him for the new build. But seriously, what cue maker gives a cue away and then offers to build you a nicer cue because of his mistake? I've heard some challenging stories about Eric, and the build was not quick, but he's made the experience worth it.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lomax

Steve Lomax is top notch and a great guy. I don't even have to ask him for new tips or a shaft he just sends them.

Pkeeney

I recently purchased a cue from Jim Baxter. When he shipped me the cue he accidentally shipped the wrong shaft. He promptly shipped me the correct shaft and for my troubles he sent me a set of his Indian head penny J/Ps for free. Couldn't ask for a better guy to deal with.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diviney

I have a jump/break, a Custom Ebony Hustler and a Cocobolo Bar Hustler from Pat Diviney, all are 61" cues with lake Salvage Shafts tapered to my specs. He got the weight, balance and shaft taper spot on. He kept me posted on the progress and delivered good cues in a timely manner. His prices are very fair, the work is excellent and I really like those stiff low deflecting Lake Salvage Shafts. I plan on having him make me a "fancy cue", but I don't expect it to out play what I already have from him. What a good, decent and honest guy he is to do business with.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear a few best experiences that you had with a cuemaker.
So,I am looking for some happy stories in which cuemaker made amazingly great impression on you.Any nice story is great to hear!

Willeecue in Corpus Christi was an awesome experience, and Willee went way beyond my expectations in a cue. But he closed up shop shortly after. I liked the cue he made me so much I went and found another of his cues here on this forum and bought it. Both cues play like one another. They are awesome cues.

Scott Gracio of Gracio Cues however, redid the clear coat on both my willeecues and he is an awesome painter! My clear is solid, and looks wonderful. He also put a shark skin wrap on my main player for me!

So I let him build my jump cue and my break cue. My specs for jump and break were something of an experiment by me, and Scott was great enough to do exactly what I wanted and didn't give me any crap for trying something new. He was awesome, and my break, and jump are exactly what I wanted. I would recommend Scott if you ever need some work done.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Bought a Jack Madden cue, he made it custom in design and is everything I could ask for. Great playing cue, great guy, fantastic wife, excellent experience. Nuf said.