Tell a best experience dealing with a cuemaker

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently sent a Chuck Starkey cue into him for a re-finish and a new shaft. The whole transaction took less than two weeks from when I mailed it out to the time it came back. Granted, I think he happened to have a shaft already built that matched what I was looking for in diameter and rings. However, even considering that; the turnaround was fantastic and I feel the work was priced fairly and done very well. I really like the way the cue plays! :thumbup:

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a cue from Jim Baxter. When he shipped me the cue he accidentally shipped the wrong shaft. He promptly shipped me the correct shaft and for my troubles he sent me a set of his Indian head penny J/Ps for free. Couldn't ask for a better guy to deal with.

I second the love for Jim. He made me a set of JPs and the post office lost them. While they were still arguing with both of us and blaming various POs around the country, Jim got to work and built a new set and had them sent out in no time...and the 2nd set actually got here. Thanks, Jim. You're the best!

The first set is still in some dusty, remote corner of a post office warehouse somewhere, no doubt. Or even more likely, some post office employee w/half a brain (I think they surgically remove the other half as part of their initial post office training) set it up so they could "flag" any outgoing mail from Jim's address knowing they were going to get the goods.

Last edited:

The Captain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear a few best experiences that you had with a cuemaker.
So,I am looking for some happy stories in which cuemaker made amazingly great impression on you.Any nice story is great to hear!

I currently have a work of art being commissioned from Bob Dzuricky. I can unequivocally say... "This master is by FAR the most concerned and caring cue maker I have EVER dealt with!" I ordered my cue in January of last year, he told me it would be 12-14 months. As of today, it would have been finished and in my hands if it were not for a late request by me around Christmas time. (He is modifying his normal butt/bumper design to adapt it for the Tiger X-tension. He has done all the leg work, ordered the necessary parts, and accommodating my wishes. Not only accommodating... But doing it with excitement, care, attention to detail, and communication throughout it all). when I first approached him with my vision, he was still working on his back log, and apologized PROFUSELY for not being able to accept new business. Fast forward 2 months later, he was now accepting new business... I IMMEDIATELY contacted him based on 2 things... At the time, I had only ever seen/held ONE of his masterpieces and felt as though I was one with the cue, and #2... His communication. Since I commissioned a work from him, he has been PHENOMENAL with updates, answering any stupid questions I have, help with suggestions (not ultimatums), and overall customer service baddassery!!!! If anyone is ever wondering who to deal with for repairs or a new custom cue of TOP TIER quality... BOB DZURICKY

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sent my cue to Pete Tascarella on a Thursday for him to make a new shaft for it, and he called me back on Monday to say it was in the mail and that I'd be running balls on Tuesday. Got my cue and a perfect new shaft on Tuesday, and I've been playing with it since.

Then, I order a cue from him in May and he calls me in November asking if it's a problem if I get my cue early! As it happened, as we were talking I was on my way to buy an engagement ring so I would not actually be able to come up with the money. So I'm still waiting on my cue, which I think is still on track to come a little early (but not as early as it could have). He was also incredibly nice about me getting engaged and gave some friendly advice. Something about "yes, dear."

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
An old thread, one that I should have posted to before ... better late than never ....

I asked Travis Niklich (Blackcreek) to make me a sneaky pete. He told me that normally he makes them for shows not custom orders but he had some blanks pre-built so he agreed and told me a rough delivery time (6 months iirc). About when he said it would be finished I got a note saying it was done, I paid, and received a gorgeous cue a few days later :thumbup:

I asked Dan Prather to build me a sneaky and had the same experience. He told me how long it would take and he delivered a quality cue, exactly what I ordered, right on time. :thumbup:

Jim Baxter built me a sneaky from an Ernie Omori blank, and I had outstanding customer service from both Jim and Ernie. The cue was delivered on time and was what we discussed. :thumbup:

These and others are in a rack ready to play a little pool when the mood strikes me.

Dave <-- has only one not-so-great experience versus many good experiences