Template Rack 9-Ball too easy for pros...

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Watching Matchroom PLP today.
The breaks these guys get with template rack turn the games into child's play.
Too easy and frankly, boring.
9-ball-- even with a triangle rack-- in this day and age is too easy for pros imo.
What do you guys think?

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I would love to see a new variation of rotation added to to pro scene like maybe "11-ball" played with 9-ball rules, or even play regular pinoy 15-ball.
Would be very entertaining for fans AND players imo.
The players are getting too good for some of the old-style games.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-ball-- even with a triangle rack-- in this day and age is too easy for pros imo.
What do you guys think?

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Woodshaft but he's right on this one!

BuffaloSlim

What do you guys think?
Even though I like breaking on a template I would have to agree for the pros .. although there were a lot of dry breaks in todays matches

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
although there were a lot of dry breaks in todays matches
Even so, the runouts are too easy imo.
10-ball with a triangle rack separated the men from the boys at the World's last week. That was entertaining, skillful, strategic pool.
And the top 4 finishers were pretty much the current world's top 4 players.
9-ball is a great amateur and gambling game, but today's pro's are just too strong.

BuffaloSlim

Even so, the runouts are too easy imo.
10-ball with a triangle rack separated the men from the boys at the World's last week. That was entertaining, skillful, strategic pool.
And the top 4 finishers were pretty much the current world's top 4 players.
9-ball is a great amateur and gambling game, but today's pro's are just too strong.
Ya I agree .. the 9 ball layouts are usually wide open .. personally I'd like to see them take the jump shots out of the mix also

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its seems like last year everyone was trying to figure out the break with the (9) on the spot. Now they all drop the (1) in the side pretty consistently.

CaptainBly

Registered
I would love to see a new variation of rotation added to to pro scene like maybe "11-ball" played with 9-ball rules, or even play regular pinoy 15-ball.
Quiet now, you aren't allowed to mention 15 ball rotation around here. LOL, I agree though, 9 ball is boring at the pro level. The Predator series last week is a great contrast to the Matchroom event this week. Really get to compare the viewing enjoyment back to back. I have to say it's been hard to get into the 9 ball matches so far. They just aren't as enjoyable as what I watched for the last two weeks. I like watching the pros work harder, and 10 ball makes them work more than 9 ball.
I still think 15 ball rotation is the game for pros. We would get to see a wider range of their skills more often.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball ....Make the players pick a side of the table to pocket balls on..or have tables that DO NOT have side pockets. Or anything that goes in the sides gets spotted

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
you misspelled 14.1
twice

WobblyStroke

9 and 10 ball can be played from a full 15 ball rack. I think grey obstacle balls would look cool.
Effectively that's just the same as rotation with the 15ball rack, except you can't combo the blocker balls like you could a high striped ball. But, I do like the idea of these blockers. Perhaps break 9b but have 3 blocker balls spotted up say on head spot, center spot, and below the rack like the black in snooker? Something like that might be nice. 3 extra balls in the way so the 9b racks aren't so wide open.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Effectively that's just the same as rotation with the 15ball rack, except you can't combo the blocker balls like you could a high striped ball. But, I do like the idea of these blockers. Perhaps break 9b but have 3 blocker balls spotted up say on head spot, center spot, and below the rack like the black in snooker? Something like that might be nice. 3 extra balls in the way so the 9b racks aren't so wide open.
I suppose you could distribute blockers around the table. I was thinking as part of he standard triangle. 6 for delta wings in 9 ball, 5 across the back row for 10 ball. I haven't done any tests on 15 ball break distribution but if you included the blockers in the break compliance rules or based break compliance entirely on the blockers, that might work. Alternatively blockers could be distributed within the whole rack in a variety of ways.