Terry Stonier Memorial - March 18 & 19

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a heads up but the annual Jointed Cue Tournament is coming up.

I didn't post this thread to help the turn-out because a 100 + players show up each year.

This tournament started back in 1969 during the first year that "The Joint" was opened. It grew into a stellar money event back in the late 70's & 80's, growing its way through The Senator Hotel (located acrross from the State Capitol), to the El Rancho Hotel (now closed) to Ceasar's Tahoe in 1982. The Ceasar's event blew everyone away boasting a $100K add.

Politics did it in for Terry when many people tried dipping into what Terry had single handedly promoted and developed. So he said to heck with the politics and took his tournament back to his room where he first started it.

It has not changed since 1983 other than its name. First it was the St. Patrick's Day Tournament, Then the Father's Day Tournament and a few years before Terry's passing he began calling it the Jointed Cue Reunion Tournament.

If you have never been there, it is a must stop by all. The history is so strong you can feel the ghosts of greatness because of every big name player who have played in the back room. I do not know the exact count but i assure you that have of the Hall of Famers made there way to Sacramento. If for nothing else "The World Famous Cheesburgers that are still being served today (and the breakfast is as good as any in town).

If you are making this trip for big money though, don't. It is a $50.00 entry fee plus $500.00 added. If you want to have a great time and see or play in maybe the longest running annual event in the country then do stop by.

We deeply miss Terry, but don't think for a second that we have forgotten nor are without tremendous appreciation for what one great guy did for our sport and its players.

Bart Mahoney
PS please toss out some of the great stories about the Joint and this tournament. They are endless...

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
I'm a past champion of this event too. I think the year was 1994, maybe 95, when I beat Felipe(sp?) in the finals. I played at The Jointed Cue many times and you can feel the history of the place as soon as you walk in. The back room was great, I played many matches back there. If my mind was a bit clearer from those days I'd be glad to share some stories, but, it's not. I do remember playing Warren Kiamco there when he first came to the U.S. He gave me the last 2 and beat me hill-hill 2 sets in a row. Ah, the good ole days!

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is so famous he wasn't thinking

yobagua said:
Hey Banker you forgot the details. Where is this tournament? What city?

But for your info. Sacramento

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
ahh you tempt me on the weekend before finals :D. i really want to play in this one. is registration at the event?

Last edited:

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure if they are taking pre-registration. I posted the info in the tournament announcement section. Here is the address and phone number if anyone needs it.

Jointed Cue Billiards
2375 Fruitridge Rd
Sacramento, CA 95822
(916) 456-3243

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jointed Cue Tournament

I started playing in this tournament in the late 70's, driving up from LA. My first year there I had a McDermott cue with a bright blue wrap with shiny plastic inlays on the butt. It was a $50 cue I picked up at the Golden Cue in Rosemead, CA because it looked like a suckers cue. I played some pretty fair 9 ball in those days, matching up with Morro Paez, Ernesto Dominguez and almost anyone else that came by the Golden Cue. The only guy there who knew my speed was Hawaiian Brian, who wouldn't knock it, but another old friend from Hawaii was there when I was playing some one pocket (I think it was Annigoni) & he was going to go bet on the game & Brian told him to bet on the guy with the glasses(me). Not that I am a champion or anything, but I played pretty sporty for a guy with a job. My fondest memories of this tournament were a few years later when I played Mike Sigel twice. He beat me in the first or second round and I played in losers bracket matches for two days and finally made it to the quarterfinals against him. I beat him and got to bark at him a little (to the roar of the crowd). Rumor has it he was out the door and had the car started before the 9 ball rolled in the pocket. Two weeks later my good friend Frank "The Barber" Almanza beat him at the annual tournament at Ferroni's in Modesto. He was considered to be the best 9 ball player in the world at that time, but in a short race, you always have a chance. I have many other fond memories of this tournament, and a few bad ones too. One time I was playing a stranger in a money match and he looked like he could play and I was a little concerned. When we started the match, he introduced himself as "Go Off Gary" from Berkeley. After I heard that I drilled him. Joe Salazar lucked in the 8 ball once on me on the hill to knock me out of third place. I can't run a rack anymore, but I'll be there eating cheeseburgers and trying to regain some glory from the past. John Henderson

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Past Champions

Rude Dog said:
I'm a past champion of this event too. I think the year was 1994, maybe 95, when I beat Felipe(sp?) in the finals. I played at The Jointed Cue many times and you can feel the history of the place as soon as you walk in. The back room was great, I played many matches back there. If my mind was a bit clearer from those days I'd be glad to share some stories, but, it's not. I do remember playing Warren Kiamco there when he first came to the U.S. He gave me the last 2 and beat me hill-hill 2 sets in a row. Ah, the good ole days!

Rude Dog, I am not familiar with all the real names of people on AZ, but I am sure I would know who you are if you were disclose.

The player you beat was probably Philipe Larosa, a good player from the central valley.

One time I remember Terry mentioning his regret that he had not kept a history of the tournament champs. I think it could be put together if enough people joggled their memories.

It is a short tough race and to get to Sunday is a work-out. High note was getting to Sunday three times in the last 15 years, with my best finish being 4th - I will never forget that weekend with easily my best playing performance with wins over Brienza, Piona, Ahola, and a good player from back east (can't remember his name). Low note was missing a tough case 9-ball against Kimmer and only finished 7-8.

I'm with Henderson though, am just going to enjoy myself and hope for some old time winning feeling to return. If not, it will be great to see all my buddies.

You would not believe how many people travel from far distances, which has contributed to the legacy of Terry bringing pool players and friends together. It is amazing.

You can sign up the day of the tournament and the field has never been cut-off. Someone else posted contact info you want to check.

See ya all in a week.

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
Banker Burt said:
Rude Dog, I am not familiar with all the real names of people on AZ, but I am sure I would know who you are if you were disclose.

The player you beat was probably Philipe Larosa, a good player from the central valley.

One time I remember Terry mentioning his regret that he had not kept a history of the tournament champs. I think it could be put together if enough people joggled their memories.

It is a short tough race and to get to Sunday is a work-out. High note was getting to Sunday three times in the last 15 years, with my best finish being 4th - I will never forget that weekend with easily my best playing performance with wins over Brienza, Piona, Ahola, and a good player from back east (can't remember his name). Low note was missing a tough case 9-ball against Kimmer and only finished 7-8.

I'm with Henderson though, am just going to enjoy myself and hope for some old time winning feeling to return. If not, it will be great to see all my buddies.

You would not believe how many people travel from far distances, which has contributed to the legacy of Terry bringing pool players and friends together. It is amazing.

You can sign up the day of the tournament and the field has never been cut-off. Someone else posted contact info you want to check.

See ya all in a week.
Hey Banker, my name is John Morton and I think you may be right about the name of Philipe Larosa. He and I had some good match-ups in the past at Great American Billiards, now Hard Times. We also played in Vegas at that pool room that is now closed but I can't remember the name of it. Cole Dickson staked me in that match and the way it came about was kind of funny. There was a tournament at the Sands going on that week and I ran into Cole. I had never met him before but he had heard I was playing good at the time. He pulled me to the side and handed me $2,000 and told me to go make something happen. Well, I found Philipe and took him to the pool room and relieved him of his money. Cole never questioned what we were doing, just sent me off with the money and he showed up in the middle of the match. Good memories, thanks. Peace, John.

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to give you guys planning on playing the heads up that according to the flyer I got from Dave, the field will be limited to 128 players. I am looking forward to sitting in the tournament room watching all the action.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
I started playing in this tournament in the late 70's, driving up from LA. My first year there I had a McDermott cue with a bright blue wrap with shiny plastic inlays on the butt. It was a $50 cue I picked up at the Golden Cue in Rosemead, CA because it looked like a suckers cue. I played some pretty fair 9 ball in those days, matching up with Morro Paez, Ernesto Dominguez and almost anyone else that came by the Golden Cue. The only guy there who knew my speed was Hawaiian Brian, who wouldn't knock it, but another old friend from Hawaii was there when I was playing some one pocket (I think it was Annigoni) & he was going to go bet on the game & Brian told him to bet on the guy with the glasses(me). Not that I am a champion or anything, but I played pretty sporty for a guy with a job. My fondest memories of this tournament were a few years later when I played Mike Sigel twice. He beat me in the first or second round and I played in losers bracket matches for two days and finally made it to the quarterfinals against him. I beat him and got to bark at him a little (to the roar of the crowd). Rumor has it he was out the door and had the car started before the 9 ball rolled in the pocket. Two weeks later my good friend Frank "The Barber" Almanza beat him at the annual tournament at Ferroni's in Modesto. He was considered to be the best 9 ball player in the world at that time, but in a short race, you always have a chance. I have many other fond memories of this tournament, and a few bad ones too. One time I was playing a stranger in a money match and he looked like he could play and I was a little concerned. When we started the match, he introduced himself as "Go Off Gary" from Berkeley. After I heard that I drilled him. Joe Salazar lucked in the 8 ball once on me on the hill to knock me out of third place. I can't run a rack anymore, but I'll be there eating cheeseburgers and trying to regain some glory from the past. John Henderson
Hi John
I have always been thankful to Terry and the great memories. You used to have to get an "invite" atleast that was what Terry told me when I called him to enter the tournament (at the Senator). He wouldn't let me play until he talked to Babe (Rodney) Thompson - Babe vouched that I could play. And I did. I will be seeing Joe Salazar and Keith McCready (he took it off the year I was "vouched for") next weekend at Allen Hopkins Super Expo. I am sure Keith is playing and Joe and I will be selling cues. Thanks for the story.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
...I have many other fond memories of this tournament, and a few bad ones too... John Henderson

Hey John,

I seem to remember a tournament at Terry's in mid 90's where you finished 6th, do you remember who finished 5th? ;) :) :D

Dave Gross

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12squared said:
Hey John,

I seem to remember a tournament at Terry's in mid 90's where you finished 6th, do you remember who finished 5th? ;) :) :D

Dave Gross
I always thought I was 5th and you were 6th. Sr. Advantage or something like that. It is snowing here today (I'm at 700 ft.), first time since I've lived here. That could be a sign from the mother ship about the upcoming tournament. Wish you could be here, it should be a good one. John Henderson

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
I can't run a rack anymore, but I'll be there eating cheeseburgers and trying to regain some glory from the past. John Henderson
That trap won't work anymore, John. They all know you in Sacto...:D Frankly the cheesburgers are over-rated, but they seem good just being in that legendary room. It's like the last remaining tabernacle of 60's pool. Do they still use only overhead lighting in the main room? One does feel a certain reverence when looking up at all the old tournament bracket charts displayed on the walls. All the top names are there: Buddy, Earl, Reyes, Davenport, Henderson...;)

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Doc

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
That trap won't work anymore, John. They all know you in Sacto...:D Frankly the cheesburgers are over-rated, but they seem good just being in that legendary room. It's like the last remaining tabernacle of 60's pool. Do they still use only overhead lighting in the main room? One does feel a certain reverence when looking up at all the old tournament bracket charts displayed on the walls. All the top names are there: Buddy, Earl, Reyes, Davenport, Henderson...;)

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Doc

It is pretty amazing seeing some of the brackets on the walls with all the legendary names on them. I'll find myself just stopping in the middle of playing just to look at the history. And yes, they do still only have the single overhead lights in the tourny room.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
I always thought I was 5th and you were 6th. Sr. Advantage or something like that. It is snowing here today (I'm at 700 ft.), first time since I've lived here. That could be a sign from the mother ship about the upcoming tournament. Wish you could be here, it should be a good one. John Henderson

John,

Since you were the one that came up with it first, 5th was, and always will be yours. When I first heard you say that to someone (while I was standing there) I laughed so hard I've been using ever since. Play great and say hi to the guys for me. Wish I could be there...and I love the cheeseburgers, too! Just the right amount of grease.

Dave

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rude Dog said:
Hey Banker, my name is John Morton and I think you may be right about the name of Philipe Larosa. He and I had some good match-ups in the past at Great American Billiards, now Hard Times. We also played in Vegas at that pool room that is now closed but I can't remember the name of it. Cole Dickson staked me in that match and the way it came about was kind of funny. There was a tournament at the Sands going on that week and I ran into Cole. I had never met him before but he had heard I was playing good at the time. He pulled me to the side and handed me $2,000 and told me to go make something happen. Well, I found Philipe and took him to the pool room and relieved him of his money. Cole never questioned what we were doing, just sent me off with the money and he showed up in the middle of the match. Good memories, thanks. Peace, John.
John, I do remember you very well and also the match-ups at Great America with Philipe. Him and I have played a ton of One-Pocket and I have always given him the credit for teaching me patience. Also, You and I actually played some 9-Ball on the cheap, long enough for me to know not to raise the bet.

Not meaning to kill any of your action, you already did that with your story about Cole, but on that note I just saw Cole in SF this past November and he looked good. I ran with him for a short while back in the early 70's and he was and is the type of guy you described.

Hope all is going well for you and if you are ever in the neiborhood stop by the Joint. It has not changed other than the action is dead. Then again this is pretty much the way it is everywhere today.

Thanks for the story...