I received my books today.
Jays Books.jpg
Thanks for the personalized signature!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Come Jay...you got one more in the tank
There's a couple of books I'd like to write, but without the agreement of the people involved I won't be doing them. The life story of Jack Cooney (the most fascinating pool hustler of my lifetime) is one of them. I've asked him twice and it's still a no go.

SlateMan

Registered
There's a couple of books I'd like to write, but without the agreement of the people involved I won't be doing them. The life story of Jack Cooney (the most fascinating pool hustler of my lifetime) is one of them. I've asked him twice and it's still a no go.
Perhaps make them with pseudo names....

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those books are amazing

Lucky for me I was around for some of the times Jay writes about-not the parts I’m included in. Other stuff and I will say Jay has it spot on. There’s no fluff, embellishments or bullshit in those books. They are facts! Not “tall tails”. Which is great as it’s the life we lived as it really happened. We didn’t need any bullshit to have been in such a wonderful time in pool.

Thanks Jay,

best
Fatboy😀

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps make them with pseudo names....
Problem is too many people could connect the dots.

Jay is still respecting the “game” by keeping known hustles, moves, and things we did and keeping them private. In this age of everyone making everything transparent-which I despise. Jay is keeping to the omertà (the code of silence) that was once honored in pool.

I stick to the same code as Jay, of course he has been around lot longer then me and is a better writer but trust me I have plenty of stories I’d love to tell, but can’t. I won’t break the code either. It’s sad some stories will just die with time.

I heard Doyle Brunson has been “talking” some about the old days in poker. I can’t fault him he’s in his mid 80’s now. Better to tell them than lose them. Maybe when jays 96 he will tell some. Until then Jay ain’t saying a peep. I’ll follow his lead with my limited stuff too.

like I said we were lucky to see what we saw/lived thick or thin.

beat
Fatboy

L.S. Dennis

Probably the one thing that sets pool apart from any other sport, golf, tennis you name is its folklore and stories that accompany it. No other sport comes remotely close, and this is what people love to hear and read about. I hope these stories won’t be snuffed out, and our sport’s colorful history be forgotten.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Those books are amazing

Lucky for me I was around for some of the times Jay writes about-not the parts I’m included in. Other stuff and I will say Jay has it spot on. There’s no fluff, embellishments or bullshit in those books. They are facts! Not “tall tails”. Which is great as it’s the life we lived as it really happened. We didn’t need any bullshit to have been in such a wonderful time in pool.

Thanks Jay,

best
Fatboy😀

The "game" is so much more than tips, chalk, glasses, shoes, aiming, etc., etc., etc., shame the vast majority can't experience it

Jay's writing is like entering a time capsule...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "game" is so much more than tips, chalk, glasses, shoes, aiming, etc., etc., etc., shame the vast majority can't experience it

Jay's writing is like entering a time capsule...
They sure are.

I’ve been working hard on my writing skills the past few years. And will continue to. Sadly pools kinda over now. Hustling has been since camera phones. So my time to see some of the soft white underbelly of pool that Jay did just isn’t there. Ergo I’ll never have the amount of material to pen than Jay possesses. But maybe I’ll come out with a book in 10 more years. Not sure. It’s not about $, it’s about preservation of history. Cowboy Jimmy Moores son has a ton of Cowboys writing in Vegas, what’s treasure that is.

best
Fatboy

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
They sure are.

I’ve been working hard on my writing skills the past few years. And will continue to. Sadly pools kinda over now. Hustling has been since camera phones. So my time to see some of the soft white underbelly of pool that Jay did just isn’t there. Ergo I’ll never have the amount of material to pen than Jay possesses. But maybe I’ll come out with a book in 10 more years. Not sure. It’s not about $, it’s about preservation of history. Cowboy Jimmy Moores son has a ton of Cowboys writing in Vegas, what’s treasure that is.

best
Fatboy

The improvement in your ability to communicate via the written word is remarkable, it's also something most middle aged people wouldn't be motivated to undertake.....at the rate your improving Hemingway (in his prime) couldn't give you the 8 in short order

You should be proud.

SlateMan

Registered
Problem is too many people could connect the dots.

Jay is still respecting the “game” by keeping known hustles, moves, and things we did and keeping them private. In this age of everyone making everything transparent-which I despise. Jay is keeping to the omertà (the code of silence) that was once honored in pool.

I stick to the same code as Jay, of course he has been around lot longer then me and is a better writer but trust me I have plenty of stories I’d love to tell, but can’t. I won’t break the code either. It’s sad some stories will just die with time.

I heard Doyle Brunson has been “talking” some about the old days in poker. I can’t fault him he’s in his mid 80’s now. Better to tell them than lose them. Maybe when jays 96 he will tell some. Until then Jay ain’t saying a peep. I’ll follow his lead with my limited stuff too.

like I said we were lucky to see what we saw/lived thick or thin.

beat
Fatboy
I understand. I forget sometimes that many people know cities/names/stories enough to connect the dots.

I respect the code and the followers of the code as well.

Of course, I also love the stories.... at the same time, I don't want all of my stories told either....

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I’ve been working hard on my writing skills the past few years. And will continue to.
I found this great, so it gets my strong recommendation:

For a very short version of most of the principles (written thinking about science, but applies to other stuff), there's also this (but I'd still recommend the book above):

Writing something, putting it aside for a while, coming back to it and editing it, is pretty eye-opening too.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm reading D'Alembert's Dream by Diderot at the moment, which puts some very controversial words (at the time) into the mouths of real and well-known people. Apparently they got upset and demanded he destroy the manuscript, which he did, but someone kept a copy and persuaded him to publish after one of the two characters had died and the other had retired from public life.

F***ing bold decision to publish it, after their objections, but the world is a little better because he did.