The best advice I ever received on Straight Pool

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
The advice was from Jim Rempe when I took a straight pool lesson from him at his home. Sounds simple but I will never forget it. I hear it in my mind every time I look at a combo or kiss shot in the stack. To quote Jimmy " Don't shoot it if it's almost dead" !!!
 
How lucky you were to take a lesson from Rempe. I always felt he had one of the best strokes in the game. Later on, his stroke sometimes got a little choppy, but when his game was on --- and in his prime, it was a beautiful thing.

I was lucky too, having taken 14.1 lessons from Ray Martin way back when. The best advice he gave me at the time was when told me to switch to 9-Ball before we both committed suicide. True story. I took his advice. Haha.

Now after all these years I'm back playing 14.1 again. Go figure.....
 
Unfortunately

How lucky you were to take a lesson from Rempe. I always felt he had one of the best strokes in the game. Later on, his stroke sometimes got a little choppy, but when his game was on --- and in his prime, it was a beautiful thing.

I was lucky too, having taken 14.1 lessons from Ray Martin way back when. The best advice he gave me at the time was when told me to switch to 9-Ball before we both committed suicide. True story. I took his advice. Haha.

Now after all these years I'm back playing 14.1 again. Go figure.....

I got a straight pool lesson from Ray Martin in 1974 when I was 20 years old and was a young gun in Reading, PA. Unfortunately it was during an exhibition match to 150 I was playing with him in front of an audience. Ray was the world Champion at that time. He ran 112 off my opening break...we traded a few safety's and I shot an "Almost dead kiss shot" and missed. Ray ran 38 and out. We went to dinner afterwards...great down to earth guy.

Really gald to see he was the first living inductee into the new 14.1 HOF.

Be Well

Frank
 
Last edited:
How lucky you were to take a lesson from Rempe. I always felt he had one of the best strokes in the game. Later on, his stroke sometimes got a little choppy, but when his game was on --- and in his prime, it was a beautiful thing.

I was lucky too, having taken 14.1 lessons from Ray Martin way back when. The best advice he gave me at the time was when told me to switch to 9-Ball before we both committed suicide. True story. I took his advice. Haha.

Now after all these years I'm back playing 14.1 again. Go figure.....

I had lessons from both Ray and Jim. General from Jimmy and 9 ball from Ray, back when the one-foul-ball-in-hand-anywhere rules were coming into vogue. Ray taught me to hide the cue ball, which served me well until the players my speed and a bit higher caught on:rolleyes:
 
The advice was from Jim Rempe when I took a straight pool lesson from him at his home. Sounds simple but I will never forget it. I hear it in my mind every time I look at a combo or kiss shot in the stack. To quote Jimmy " Don't shoot it if it's almost dead" !!!

Good advice, but my problem is in thinking it is dead when, apparently, it was just "almost dead."
 
Back
Top