It seems to me prices have been ludicrously high, and this is a long overdue correction.
I don't just mean custom cues here - we overpay on practically every single pool related item. Why? Because we are addicts. We'll pay $1000 for a bit of wood and leather because we believe it will make us better players. We're every bit as addicted as the smackhead with a needle in his arm, and sellers know this.
Pool players need the correction, not the producers.
Production cues are also selling for silly money. I've lost count of the amount of times I've read 'priced to sell' in the description, only to see the price as similar to retail, sometimes more. I note the names of those sellers and ignore them - they'll not get my business, ever. Prices of used production cues should halve the moment they are taken out of the wrapping, and fall from there, depending on condition. I see lots that have been modified, with the seller claiming it adds value! So, it's used, you don't like it and want shut, and it's been modified to your tastes, not mine, and you still want 85% retail price? Sheer madness.
Pool players need the correction, not sellers. Until we stop accepting this, we'll always be ripped off. I spent well over $1000 on pool equipment last year - spent $25 on snooker equipment.
i do agree that prices are too high. too many cue flipper around. they wont sell at a loss or break even point. that explains the high prices.
few years ago, prices was quite reasonable. u can see cues or cases sold within minutes upon listing. now it is almost very rare.
but its not anybody's fault... who would wan to sell at a loss? so its up to the buyers...