the great east Broadway onion championship of 1978 - song by Tom T. Hall (died Aug. 20, 2021)

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from fb: Traces of Texas:
Last night I noted that the great Tom T. Hall had passed away at the age of 85 and that Tom had once written a great song about playing pool with Joe Ely at Stubb's BBQ in Lubbock back in 1978. According to the song, linked below, they used an onion for a cue ball and a broomstick for a cue. I didn't know that there was a great photo of this momentous night in Texas history. Shown here are the legendary C.B. Stubblefield, who owned Stubb's BBQ, the great Joe Ely, and Tom T. Hall. This photo was posted all over Twitter and made it to the Joe Ely FB page. Sharon Ely, Joe's wife, saw it and wrote out the following story:
"RIP Tom T Hall. Tom was a great friend to STUBB’S and Joe and Paul Milosevich. This is at STUBB’S restaurant in Lubbock. STUBB’S had nailed the curtains down in all the booths so people would quit wiping there greasy bbq hands on the curtains. Tom T Hall never told STUBB’S as long as they were friends that he was a vegetarian.
One night At STUBB’S Joe and Tom played a pool tournament with an onion as cue ball in STUBB’S back room where he kept all the food to cook with . The pool table was back there and sometimes served as a bed for STUBB’S when he couldn’t make it home
I secretly stole the cue ball that night when Tom and Joe were in the back playing pool continuously. I was Thinking they would come out front and play music for all the people waiting to hear them since there was no cue ball. It was in my back pocket. Instead joe found a bag of onions and pulled one out and grabbed a broom for a cue stick They continued to play pool. Tom T. won because Joe scratched the cue ball/ onion. Then Tom wrote “the great east Broadway onion championship of 1978."
Here's the song that Tom T. Hall wrote about that night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As7-aGl_kec

Onion pool championship.jpg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad listened to Tom T Hall. Good memories. Great story thanks.

Fatboy🙏🏼