The International Billiards Academy

gerryf

Last weekend, Xing Pai held an Opening Ceremony for the International Billiards Academy in Yushan, China.

"The academy has theoretical classrooms, student apartments, library rooms, multi-functional lecture halls, gymnasiums and restaurants as well as areas to play snooker, Chinese billiards and American billiards."

"...including a new billiards training system called AR POOL. This uses computer artificial intelligence and multi-media augmented reality technology to apply the system to various sizes of American and Chinese pool tables."

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
They take their sports seriously there! Often they start them at a very young age and they grow up in a similar academy with regular academic studies mixed in with daily studies in a specific sport or activity. China has the best gymnasts in the world. I've seen their shows with all kids under 18 (some as young as 9 or 10) who are incredible. Same with sports like ping pong and badminton. With well over a billion people and the economic might to do it, they can train athletes to compete in any sport they like. The programs are rigorous with no days off and long hours each day working at your chosen field. They leave home at an early age to live in these facilities. The parents have to give up control of their children for the good of country. I think they've far surpassed the USA in this respect. We may not agree on their lifestyle and the freedom we enjoy here, but you have to give them credit for what they accomplish. I look for even more Chinese dominance of all cue sports in the future. Over there, failure is not an option.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the US has leagues on 7ft tables. Yee-haw. BTW,XingPai is the maker of STAR tables and one of THE heavy hitters in the pool/snooker biz. Pretty strong for a co. that's only been around a little over 30yrs.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
And the US has leagues on 7ft tables. Yee-haw. BTW,XingPai is the maker of STAR tables and one of THE heavy hitters in the pool/snooker biz. Pretty strong for a co. that's only been around a little over 30yrs.
I guess that means the Chinese wont be competitive when they come to play in the US because all they have is 9' and no 7's. :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that means the Chinese wont be competitive when they come to play in the US because all they have is 9' and no 7's. :)
Really don't think any Chinese players have a desire to own a league patch/pin. Have a bb event thats pays $250,000+ like Chinese 8b and they might show up.

Geosnookery

I looked up the city…metropolitan area only has 7 million people.

When we were in China our itinerary included geology seminars in cities with multi million populations whose names that I previously couldn’t have distinguished from items on a Chinese restaurant menu.

Wuhan…11 million! Pre Covid I had never heard of it despite being to China twice.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I looked up the city…metropolitan area only has 7 million people.

When we were in China our itinerary included geology seminars in cities with multi million populations whose names that I previously couldn’t have distinguished from items on a Chinese restaurant menu.

Wuhan…11 million! Pre Covid I had never heard of it despite being to China twice.
There are cities in China that only show up as a small dot on the map, and yet they have five million people living there! China has 130 cities with a population over one million!