The Most Surprising Shot in Pool History

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Klatt and Erik Hjorleifson come to mind immediately. They are solid. Not great, but solid. A handful of others have gotten to the elimination stage of the world championships so they can hold their own too. If the US is gonna field a team as weak as this year's, Canada would have more of a shot against them than the US has vs EUR.
Sorry but I don`t think so. Mora, their best player, is not as good left handed.

WobblyStroke

Sorry but I don`t think so. Mora, their best player, is not as good left handed.
Pagulayan is their best player. And Morra is still really good with a 790FR. The point was that Canada is closer to the USA than USA is to EUR. I'll stand by that statement given that EUR is pretty much all champions. USA has 4 guys in the top100 Fargo Rated players, EUR has 4 in the top 6. And SVB as the only American rated that high consistently under performs in team events.

tomatoshooter

I knew that if I touched the 2 ball while jumping several things could turn in my favor .
That's the art of 9 ball. If you can't make something good happen then you take the option that has the most potential good outcomes. You might make a "lucky" shot but it still took skill to make that luck a possibility. I takes vision to see that possibility. It takes knowledge and experience to understand the probabilities contained within that possibility.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pagulayan is their best player. And Morra is still really good with a 790FR. The point was that Canada is closer to the USA than USA is to EUR. I'll stand by that statement given that EUR is pretty much all champions. USA has 4 guys in the top100 Fargo Rated players, EUR has 4 in the top 6. And SVB as the only American rated that high consistently under performs in team events.
You are right about Alex, of course. I guess when I think of Alex, Canadian doesn`t jump to my mind. I do believe USA beats Canada in a 5 on 5 match. Would be very interesting.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as the most surprising shot in pool history, I'd have to give that honor to Stephen Maguire's "repocket the red and scratch off the jaw" shot. It's at snooker, but I think it counts. It will be harder to duplicate.o_O Here it is:

Last edited:

WobblyStroke

You are right about Alex, of course. I guess when I think of Alex, Canadian doesn`t jump to my mind. I do believe USA beats Canada in a 5 on 5 match. Would be very interesting.
Alex grew up here and it was in Canada that he cut high school and slept under pool tables, just playing all the time. It's not like he got great at pool in the Philippines and then moved over here. He represented Canada right out of the gate when he began his career, only flying the Philippines flag briefly when sponsored by a Filipino company.

I think you are right about the matchup in that USA would be favored for sure. I just think, not as much as EUR over USA tho. I'd love for the border battle to come back so we could find out. But honestly, I'd want to see USA vs Poland even more. None of the Poles made the Mosconi Cup team, but I think POL would be favorite over USA. At least I'd bet on em.

Last edited:

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the art of 9 ball. If you can't make something good happen then you take the option that has the most potential good outcomes. You might make a "lucky" shot but it still took skill to make that luck a possibility. I takes vision to see that possibility. It takes knowledge and experience to understand the probabilities contained within that possibility.
Yes indeed. that's what I am always telling people when they complain about me getting lucky. On a kick shot for example, you first must be able to hit the ball rail first and play it at a speed that gives you the highest chance of a good outcome.

Vice versa, I don't complain when my opponent get's lucky. Because I gave him a chance to get lucky by letting him to the table in the first place.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes indeed. that's what I am always telling people when they complain about me getting lucky. On a kick shot for example, you first must be able to hit the ball rail first and play it at a speed that gives you the highest chance of a good outcome.

Vice versa, I don't complain when my opponent get's lucky. Because I gave him a chance to get lucky by letting him to the table in the first place.
more players should think this way
jmho
icbw

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking for another blackball shot I saw but this one is hilarious.

Has motive, opportunity, malice aforethought, and proof.